Dinner out ideas

What are your go to restaurants and meals when sticking to a healthy diet?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    What are your go to restaurants and meals when sticking to a healthy diet?

I mostly go to local establishments. Meals...just depends. I tend to look at my diet and "healthy" at a high level and not meal to meal or item to item. Few weekends ago we went to Farm and Table and I got the trout with roasted veg and mashed potatoes...I'd consider that pretty healthy. Last weekend we went for New Mexican and I got the smothered enchiladas which isn't inherently unhealthy, but it's a calorie bomb...I got it because that's what I wanted and I hadn't had them in a few months.
  • ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    edited November 2019
    I look for salmon or chicken options. I avoid the "salad" section because a) I don't want to feel like I'm dieting and b) there's always so much dressing/extras that the calorie count is just as bad if not worse than other menu items. I usually skip appetizers as well. Substitute broccoli instead of fries, if it's an option.

Or, just go in knowing you'll be eating a 1,000cal+ meal and make up for it by lower calorie options the rest of the day.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Chipotle and Panera are two places that I can easily order something to fit my calories. I order a burrito bowl and eat half. At Panera I'll get half a sandwich and half a salad usually.

Those aren't my favorite places to eat though. The best restaurants don't seem to post nutrition info so I just wing it and get what I want because I don't eat at those places often enough for it to really make a difference.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    I eat out a lot. Just about any place can work if you’re thinking about what you’re doing.

If available, check on line for the menu and NI. Think in terms of lean protein and veggies. Avoid fried. Be careful about sauces. If it’s casual dining try a grilled chicken Caesar w/ dressing on the side or a low cal alternative if they have one. Try no croutons or eat around then. Don’t be afraid to ask questions or make special requests. There are a lot of people eating out with a lot of diet restrictions.

Grilled fish is usually a good bet. But beware sauces. I just tell them to keep the potatoes or substitute more veggies. Keep the bread basket off the table or out of reach.

As noted enchiladas are a calorie bomb, but fajitas are a fairly safe pick. Especially shrimp or chicken. Be careful of cheese. A lot of restaurants put it everywhere. The calories add up fast.

For a while when going out I made a point of asking servers about food prep and making sure they knew there were things I wanted to avoid. Just to get past the awkwardness.
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    I love the requirement of Obamacare that restaurants over 20 locations must post the calories of their meals. It really helps when choosing items (even though I know it may not be SUPER accurate). I also think that this has motivated Restaurants to include meals 600 calories or less. EVEN Cheesecake Factory.

Some of my favorites that have a low calorie option: Outback Steakhouse, BJs, Chili's and Cheesecake Factory.

For lighter meals, Mad Greens actually calculates your calories on their website, Panera has great low calorie options and Protein House is great for low carb.

Otherwise, I go with a grilled chicken or fish, a vegetable, and (my husband had to get over this) ask them to be sure not to grill it with butter or oil. I also bring my own 10 calorie salad dressing.

The most confusing for me are the Poke bars. I have no idea how many calories I am eating. I get spring mix, no rice, and Ponzu for the sauce, but I would love to know how many calories the other items are.
  • BachataDancer
    BachataDancer Posts: 77 Member
    I eat out every day. Here's my go-to list: Chipotle - chicken bowl. Olive Garden - grilled chicken margherita. Panda Express - teriyaki chicken (no sauce) and brown rice bowl. Dominos - thin crust veggie pizza. Texas Roadhouse - herb crusted chicken or salmon and baked sweet potato.
    Moral of the story is pick something without sauces and eat your veggies.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,163 Member
    I mainly eat at local places but I find the nutrition information from the chain restaurants to be a good estimation tool. I eat out quite a bit and have just established a few rules I keep in mind when I’m out.

1. A meal out isn’t automatically a special occasion. Some meals are definitely a special occasion and those are rare enough that I don’t worry about them. Most of the time though, it’s really just dinner on Thursday. For regular meals, I stick to an entree only. If the table orders an appetizer, I might have a bite or two, but not a full one to myself. Same with dessert.
    2. Eat half, take half. Good for the belly, good for the budget!
    3. Keep an eye out for the lighter options, but I don’t make myself miserable over it. Since I know I’ll be having two meals, I usually just go with what sounds good at the time. If I’m choosing something just to be “good”, it’s incredibly likely that it will be picked at and left to rot in my fridge until trash day. Usually I can find a balance between good and good-for-me.

Personally, I have some dietary restrictions that keep me from following a lot of the traditional eating out while losing weight advice, so I use these guidelines as an alternative. It’s great to say extra veggies or get a side salad, but I have to watch my fiber really closely, so those are very risky options for me. Same with large meals. Eating half is easy for me because I’d be unwell for days afterward if I ate a whole restaurant sized meal. It’s just finding the compromises that work for you.