Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    @MelodiousMermaid- I love how well thought out your goals are.
    @Karen- I’m sorry to hear of the loss around you. Glad in all the chaos you got to enjoy time with your family. We haven’t gotten any winter like weather in my area just super cold. Most of the bad weather has been more down towards like Burnsville which is 30 minutes from my house to the south. Riley well he is stubborn. He was doing really well especially with walking and ignoring other dogs. And the last couple days were back to whining,pulling and barking at other dogs while we’re walking. What’s the saying it’s not a sprint it’s a marathon😂😂

AFM:
    I started getting exercise in again this week. Saturday raked leaves for 4 hrs. rest of the days this week spent walking Riley as long as weather holds up. My eating is still not the best I know what to do though I just got to get myself motivated to do it. I also start therapy this week to learn how to deal with my mom now that my dad has passed. We have no relationship with each other but yet she still depends on me being my dad isn’t here.
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    @mnwalkingqueen Glad to see the exercise you are getting. I hope things start working out with your mom.
    @skinnyjeanzbound - first, what a cool sign-in name - I know you'll make it to those skinny jeans. I take a cheat day every now and then too - and it seems when I do I drop some weight - weird, huh! Guess it's just my body adjusting. Looks like you're doing a great job! It's encouraging.
    @melodiousmermaid - you are doing phenomenal - wow - well done.

There has to be some story behind our user names - I would love to hear yours. I'll share mine first.

When I was dating my husband and meeting his family and learning about him, I learned he used to pick on his niece (and sisters) all the time. We were visiting his sister's and his niece (9 years old) was running by as she was playing but stopped to "greet us" by saying (to me) in a "sweet voice" - Hi Sweetie Pie and to my husband, Tim, (in a not so sweet voice) - "Hi Gross Head Tim" and to this day my husband and I sign our cards and such as Sweetie Pie and GHT

Have a great day all. Diane
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Saturday check-in

Of note this last week: Met both sets of goals, though it was a struggle. Thankfully my hormonal profile shifted to favorable last night (finally, as I was hoping for it on Monday). I'm glad I have the goals sorted as they are, because the baseline was the only reason I went out to walk a couple of the days, and by the end of the time I was honest with myself about not being in a good mental state to be productive, so why not continue to put one foot in front of the other, thus walking continued.

I need to have something I can have as a cardio workout other than walking (primarily due to knees and feet), for now as a low-intensity activity, but later as something I can ramp up when I feel ready (and have the necessary extra calories coming in to support it). After weeks of deliberation, I finally took the dive and learned about proper indoor rowing technique/form, and gave it a try on Thursday afternoon. I think it will be a good match, though I can tell it will take at least a week or two to get into the groove (I'm feeling muscles I didn't know were there before).

Thus, I have a new Gold Goal in the list, so I will continue to adapt.

My baseline goals:
    1) At least 150 g protein intake each day.
    2) Complete walks at least 1 mile and a total of 30+ minutes 6 days a week.
    3) Keep at least two days ahead in pre-planning the food diary.

Gold Goals:
    1) Complete Stronglifts 5x5 workouts at least 2 times per week (ideally 3).
    2) Walk a total of at least 24 miles per week, allowing at least one day of rest (0-2 miles).
    3) Find at least one new recipe/food combination to try each week.
    4) Complete at least 2 beginner workouts on the Concept 2 rower per week.

My Stats:
    5'1" Female
    Restarting weight: 252
    MFP restart weight: 242.7
    Original goal weight: 140
    Current goal: 22.5% body fat (currently estimated at 147 lbs).

To track/adjust goal weight, I will review body scans periodically as I go to be sure I'm doing well on body fat % and don't start to lose muscle mass. My goal is to be at a healthy body fat percentage with good strength and stamina, wherever it is that I end on the scale. It seems as though a realistic range might be 144-167 based on the feedback I've gotten.

09/14/19: 240.7
    09/21/19: 238.8
    09/28/19: 234.6
    10/05/19: 230.8
    10/12/19: 231.0
    10/19/19: 226.9
    10/26/19: 223.8
    11/01/19: 219.6
    11/09/19: 215.6
    11/16/19: 212.7
    11/23/19: 209.2
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Saturday Check In:
    I have went for a walk 6 of the 7 days this week. My eating is still bad but I am trying.... in all honesty not super hard on the food. Focused on the exercise and getting back into a routine.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Well looks like outside walking is coming to an end with 6-12 inches of snow in next 24-36 hrs. Those traveling in the snow storm area please be safe.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    @mnwalkingqueen We're about 3.5 hours SE of you -- due to get 4-5 inches by forecast. I used to live in Bloomington and remember the epic Halloween Blizzard of '91 (though I was youngish at the time). Stay safe and warm!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    @MelodiousMermaid - my area of the metro got 4.5 inches of pure wet heavy snow. It took me 2 hrs to shovel today .... good work out but I hate winter.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    @mnwalkingqueen I hear ya. Ours wasn't the full-heavy type, but decent moisture density, guessing about 4", but is pretty drifty, so not totally sure. Got lucky this time as we were early in the street plowing rotation. I'm also lucky because there are two guys and my sister who I can count on for help in the snow clearing department. And my daughter if I twist her arm.

Ugh. Freezing drizzle on tomorrow night's forecast. THAT is what I hate most about winter... Well, that and those Canadian cold bursts.

@sweeetypie1 Just realized I never replied to your username query. I had a different name at first, but wanted to change to something less "vanilla." At that time, I was focusing on aquatic workouts due to back, etc., and I'm also a very part-time musician/vocalist, thus melodious mermaid was derived. Not much of a mermaid anymore, but might give real swimming a try after losing a bunch of my built-in "resistance" (not to mention wait until I'm at a stable swimsuit size so I don't drive the family broke in the process of losing weight).

In other news, baseline goals are a bust this week, as I forgot to plan ahead yesterday, and frankly don't have the energy tonight. Threw a few things in for tomorrow for protein's sake, but going to see how the day goes (not to mention, I have no idea what will be served for lunch). Dealing with feet issues again and now knee issues. I think I need to try focusing on rowing more going forward, as proper form in that makes the muscles sore, but I have yet to have increased pain complaints from my joints following a workout. I plan to not walk at all tomorrow due to slick surfaces outdoors, altered gym hours that don't work with my family's plans, and the overwhelming pain I'm dealing with. I do, however, plan to go to another location that's a 24-hour facility and row. We'll see if that plan lasts through 5 am tomorrow. LOL

Happy Thanksgiving, all.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday check-in

Well color me astounded. My usual weight loss pattern has been losing most of the weekly weight Sunday through Tuesday mornings, then mostly holding until the next Sunday-Tuesday (water retention due to workouts/swelling). Seemingly out of the blue, I had a considerable weight drop this morning. I'm guessing it's because this was the 3rd morning after lifting, as I didn't lift yesterday (normally do), and chose to do it this morning instead. It's the only thing that really makes sense anyhow. It will be interesting watching the next few days' readings.

As noted on the post I did on the 27th, I did not make goals this week. Got everything but the keeping 2 days ahead in pre-planning. Didn't fall off the train though. I am adapting to rowing decently well, I think. I'm going to work in the direction of rowing 6 days a week eventually, with aiming for 10,000 steps on most days as well. Don't have a step counter now, but the mileage listed for my walking goal should cover that.

I ditched the food based goal, as I'm having trouble getting support at home and just don't have the motivation. I still met it last week, but I can't deal with it right now. Altered my walking goals to keep me in a workable range, while keeping me from working myself into another pit of extreme pain (hopefully).

My baseline goals:
    1) At least 150 g protein intake each day.
    2) Complete walking and/or rowing a total of 30+ minutes 6 days a week.
    3) Keep at least two days ahead in pre-planning the food diary.

Gold Goals:
    2) Walk a total of between 20-30 intentional miles per week, allowing at least one day of rest (0-2 miles).
    3) Complete at least 3 workouts on the Concept 2 rower (30+ minutes) per week.

My Stats:
    5'1" Female
    Current goal: 22.5% body fat (currently estimated at 147 lbs).

To track/adjust goal weight, I will review body scans periodically as I go to be sure I'm doing well on body fat % and don't start to lose muscle mass. My goal is to be at a healthy body fat percentage with good strength and stamina, wherever it is that I end on the scale. It seems as though a realistic range might be 144-167 based on the feedback I've gotten.

11/30/19: 203.9
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @sweeetypie1 -- It's funny. I chose that user name about 55 lbs ago when i was wearing size 16-18 pants, and my "skinny jeans" were a size 14. Now 14 is my norm, and the 12s taking up room in my dresser are my "skinny jeans." My current goal is to lose the 10 lbs that are preventing me from wearing them. I guess it's all relative, right? LOL

@holly--sorry winter came for you guys -- I also dislike the snow and cold. I've got about 10-12 years until I can retire and hope to retire in the Caribbean or some equally warm climate.

@MelodiousMermaid -- great job continuing to meet and set goals. I've been slacking a bit with both nutrition and exercise, and I know it's because of my failure to set any concrete goals for November. The one goal I set--to run twice while in Baltimore--I met, so there's evidence that goal-setting works.

AFM--Hi everyone!! Wow, feels like I haven't posted in forever even though it's only been 2 weeks. Baltimore was really great. We had a lot of fun and attended some very informative conference sessions. Got to see George Takei--he delivered our keynote address to promote his latest book--which was exciting. I've been a trekkie my whole life, and I love to follow George on social media as well.

I didn't bother logging food while away--I ate a lot of delicious seafood! But I also tried to make decent choices and we got A LOT of steps in every day. In addition, I packed two workout outfits and used them both to run in the hotel's exercise facility.

I got home last Sunday evening and didn't run again until the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I did as well as I'd hoped, pacing at about a 12 minute mile. Thanksgiving dinner was at a restaurant which prevented the usual overindulgence of the holiday meal. The restaurant food was fine, but it wasn't nearly as delicious as a homemade turkey dinner. However, because I was in Baltimore and the rest of my family was in MI attending my aunt's memorial service, there's was really no way any of us could pull off hosting the holiday.

I've been logging since my return, but I wasn't really watching my carbs as much as before Baltimore. Today was the first day I was seriously back on the keto-light wagon. I was a little nervous about stepping on the scale, but when I finally weighed myself yesterday, I saw there was no harm done. My goal now is to stick to the lower carbs until Christmas dinner.

I know I should set a workout goal, but I truly feel like I'm just in survival mode until Winter Break. I'm going to try to get a gym visit in one day this week, but I have so much grading. Plus, a friend and colleague lost her son Saturday. He had Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy--only 21 years old which is the average life expectancy. The memorial will be this Thursday, and even though the recent losses of my aunt and friend's mother have been sad, this one is going to be extremely rough. I have no idea what to even say to my friend--everything just seems so hollow.

Sorry to end my post on such a downer. I hope everyone has a good week.

Name: Karen
    Height: 5’7"
    Highest Weight: 247
    Current Weight: 196 (7/6/19)

8/31/19 = 194
    9/7/19 = 196
    9/14/19 = 196
    9/22/19 = 196
    9/28/19 = 195
    10/4/19 = 196
    10/12/19 = 196
    10/19/19 = 194
    10/26/19 = 192
    11/2/19 = 191
    11/9/19 = 191
    11/16/19 = 191
    11/23/19 = no weigh in (out of town)
    11/30/19 = 191
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Hey- They finally plowed my road today...yes it snowed last thursday, saturday and sunday. I was stuck at home all weekend due to roads not being plowed. I got stuck a bunch of times last year, so I no longer chance it if plowing hasnt been done.
    I weighed myself for the first since my dad passed I have gained all weight loss back... and now that snow is here not feeling motivated at all. I am still eating out a lot. I understand this post is a downer but I believe in being honest.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    I walked for an hour so far this week. Eating is still not great but I am moving. Also just found out my job was saved company did lay offs that I was not aware were happening. My job was eliminated but they laid off temp workers and moved my team to that department. Just glad I have a job.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday check-in

I was right on the money in last week's post. There was only about 0.9 change before I became stuck for the week AND got my water retention hiking up my number on Wednesday. Have managed to go down a bit thanks to not lifting on Thursday (picked up whatever illness is going around and got sick Wednesday night). Unfortunately, this also caused me to take a miss on my protein and exercise baseline goals. Everything else was on plan for all the goals.

In conversing with someone, I have decided to back the protein back down to 1g/target pound. The revised target is a lot overambitious, IMO, at 130 pounds, but that is in the upper range of the normal BMI, so I'll just see how things ride. When I leave the obese classification/reach 35% body fat (whichever comes first), I plan to up it to 1.25g/target pound, then when I reach healthy BMI or 25% body fat (whichever comes first), I plan to increase to either 1.4 or 1.5g/target. It sounds like a lot, but I think that's the best chance for supporting my weightlifting and maintaining/increasing my lean body mass (muscle/bone density) as I continue.

Regarding the diary, I think I've built the habit and am in a routine enough that I do not need to have it as a specific goal, so that is now removed, but will come back if need be.

Finally, I'm shifting my goal percentage to 21%, as I found a continuum that gives athletic/fitness/average, and 21% is the threshold between athletic and fitness.

My baseline goals:
    1) At least 130 g protein intake each day.

Gold Goals:
    2) Walk a total of between 20-30 intentional miles per week, allowing at least one day of rest (0-2 miles).
    3) Complete at least 2 hours on the Concept 2 per week.

My Stats:
    5'1" Female
    Current goal: 21% body fat (currently estimated at 144 lbs).

12/07/19: 201.3

@mnwalkingqueen Good on you for staying honest and accountable, regardless of how you feel. It was good to hear from you. Hopefully you'll soon get to a point where you can set a small goal for yourself to begin working from. Also good news on the job -- I'd be so shocked if I was in your place.

@LAT1963 I also go in smaller bits, as a 100+ lb journey is arduous and long indeed. I've got mostly 5/10 lb benchmarks, but a few other points too, such as BMI/bodyfat special points.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Wednesdays wish: That I liked cold and snow for living in MN we have atleast 5 months of it. I hate it tho and rarely leave house in the winter. however I did brave -20 windchill to watch Canadian Pacific Holiday Train yesterday good thing it was only 20 minutes.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday check-in

ONEDERLAND. FINALLY.

All goals met.

I'm holding some serious water weight at this point. I suppose it makes sense for both the reasons of cycle point and the fact that my body's under extra stress this week from running things strong, but GAH it drives me nuts. Primary things keeping me sane at this point (other than continuously reminding myself to trust the numbers): weight trending app and 7-day rolling average. Neither has yet to go upward or totally flatline since I started in September.

It's getting to be a fair struggle to stay "on program". Some days are easier than others, but I'm starting to have to really fight the crave monster that comes with the later part of the cycle as well. So far I've managed, but it's getting to be a thing. I've pre-planned the refeed I'm going to be doing on the evening of the 23rd (and trust me, it's going to be great!), then I'll be into maintenance eating for 6 days. Actually, I plan to go over by about 200 calories against MFP's calculations, just to be sure I'm at least at maintenance since I'm going to be estimating several points of the break. It's not going to be wild and crazy, but it will be a relief to be eating more and to also scale back to a "base" exercise regimen.

Following the break, I am going to try switching to Leangains for eating protocol. My strength training has hit a brick wall lately. I need to either change the training or change the fuel, and this is what I've come up with. I'm hopeful that this will take care of fueling the fire while allowing me to continue decently strong success.

My baseline goals:
    1) At least 130 g protein intake each day.

Gold Goals:
    2) Walk a total of 20+ intentional miles/week, no more than 6/day. At least one day of rest (0-2 miles).
    3) Complete at least 3 hours on the Concept 2 rower per week.

My Stats:
    5'1" Female
    Current goal: 21% body fat (currently estimated at 141 lbs).

12/17/19: 199.7

@mnwalkingqueen That sounds like a really cold, but kinda neat experience. I really, really dislike cold stuff, especially now. I appreciate the visual beauty winter brings (both natural and things such as the ice palace), oddly also enjoy curling (but there's no wind and inside is readily accessible), but yeah, don't dig winter otherwise.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    @MelodiousMermaid- I really hate winter too it was for my best friend mom’s bday. I wish I could be more like you with goal setting.

AFM:
    The cold has set in so my butt has been under a blanket alot. I really need to find somewhere warmer to live. I just don’t think I can buy a different house as cheap as mine was when purchased. I’m hoping to be rid of this head cold soon so I can Christmas shop this weekend.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Saturday check-in

Water retention. Public enemy #1 right now, IMO. Somewhere between 6-8 pounds, by my calculations (not sure if maybe I've gained some muscle, but there's no way THAT much is muscle). I'm not sure if I'll see my total fat loss weight before I refeed and go on maintenance break. It's really frustrating, but I guess it's not the end of the world.

All goals were met this last week. In addition to being a maintenance week, I am going to give my body a bit of rest after Monday. For this week only, I am going to intentionally take a pass on goal 2 for gold. I intend to get a half hour in on rowing each day minus perhaps Christmas, and I will do one strength training session on Thursday (Monday is the other one to make the 2 minimum). If I end up going out with friends or something, I might get a bit more in to "bump up the budget" on whatever day, but in general I intend to take it easy. Technically, my baseline for protein at maintenance would be 110 grams/day, but I will probably play it higher to be conservative.

To be honest, I am both looking forward to and simultaneously dreading the maintenance period. Being "on program" allows me to know what's going in for certain and also locks out a lot of foods/situations that are triggers for me. There will be a few unavoidable trigger situations during this period, but that is also partially why I chose this timing, as it really bites not being able to partake of many things and watching everyone else eat them. I'm hoping to have the inner strength to say no to things that are bad triggers while loosening up a bit and enjoying a broader variety and a bit more volume of food.

Another thing I'm dreading is estimating intake in the situations I don't have all the information for. I want to try and be at maintenance levels, but don't want to underestimate and lose a bit of ground. I am going to aim about 100 over MFP estimated needs to offset this a bit, since 700 calories (one week at 100 over) is only 1/5 of a pound of fat. I don't know... I've got anxiety up the wazoo about this.

I'm adding in a non-exercise (though MFP does calculate for it), non-food goal in hopes that if nothing else, it'll distract me a bit. I've been an off and on musician since I left college (more off than on), but perhaps getting back into playing will help in some way.

My baseline goals:
    1) At least 130 g protein/day.
    2) Complete walking and/or rowing a total of 30+ minutes/day, 6 days/week.
    3) Practice an instrument for at least 30 minutes/day, 6 days/week.

Gold Goals:
    2) Walk a total of 20+ intentional miles/week, no more than 6/day. At least one day of rest (0-2 miles).
    3) Complete at least 3 hours on the Concept 2 rower per week.

My Stats:
    5'1" Female
    Current goal: 21% body fat (currently estimated at 141 lbs).

12/17/19: 199.7
    12/21/19: 196.7
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Merry Christmas Everyone 🎄🎁!! Have a wonderful and blessed day!
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    edited December 2019
    @MelodioiusMermaid - happy to see you hit onederland! Congratulations.