Shipping Magic Cookie bars - do they stay in one piece?

kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
edited November 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Time for me to start planning what I'm going to ship to my out-of-state friends and coworkers!

Anyone have experience shipping Magic Cookie bars like https://www.keebler.com/en_US/recipes/magic-cookie-bars-recipe.html ? I'm not going to bother if they fall apart easily.

Also on the list:

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    My students LOVE magic bars and I can barely get them to campus in one piece. One problem is the coconut on top; it comes off easily. If you used less or no coconut, or put the coconut under the caramel layer, my guess is they would ship well. I also go a little lighter on the graham cracker crumbs. If the crust is too thick or too dry, it falls apart easily.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I make them a lot (not for shipping) and they tend to fall apart pretty quickly even if you take them out of the pan you baked them in and transfer them to a cookie tin. If I can, I bake them in a pan that has a snap-lid and just leave them in the pan. Even then, you end up with a lot of stray coconut flakes, chocolate chips, and nuts, which of course you can scoop up with a spoon and eat for no calories, because you already accounted for them when you logged all the squares you ate.

For other options, these look good

https://www.thecuriouschickpea.com/vegan-peanut-butter-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies/

and these

https://mindfulavocado.com/vegan-chai-snickerdoodles/

https://www.godairyfree.org/recipes/vegan-snowball-cookies (definitely go with pecans rather than walnuts!)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    So, here's a thought on how to ship "magic cookie bars" without breakage -- send it as a dry mix of chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts, with instructions for mixing it into their morning oatmeal. So good -- I have it whenever I have the urge for a magic cookie bar but don't want to take the time or create the temptation that an entire batch would be. I usually toss a little dried fruit (dried cherries or cranberries) in as well, because I'm not a purist.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I do a lot of baking & shipping, cookies & bars at Christmas. It’s been my experience that as long as they’re packaged well, and use bubble wrap or packaging peanuts to cushion, they ship well......I haven’t had any complaints yet👍
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    Somebody may have said this already, I didn't read the replies.

If they break, the calories leak out, right?

PMing you my address.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Wait... if they are magic cookies.. abracadabra.... Dang.... they didn't appear... back to the spell book.
  • kshama2001
    Thanks everyone!
  • kshama2001
    apullum wrote: »
    My students LOVE magic bars and I can barely get them to campus in one piece. One problem is the coconut on top; it comes off easily. If you used less or no coconut, or put the coconut under the caramel layer, my guess is they would ship well. I also go a little lighter on the graham cracker crumbs. If the crust is too thick or too dry, it falls apart easily.

@apullum I'm trying both these suggestions, thanks!

I'm using graham crackers leftover from the rum balls, and the amount just so happened to be a little short, so perfect :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »

@apullum I'm trying both these suggestions, thanks!

I'm using graham crackers leftover from the rum balls, and the amount just so happened to be a little short, so perfect :)

Mmm, rum balls. I haven't made those yet--they'll show up for a party in December. I usually use vanilla wafers in mine, but graham crackers would be delicious.

I bought graham cracker crumbs last time I made magic bars, and half a box worked well. The crumbs happened to be on sale for less than the normal box of graham crackers :) I also used walnuts because they were half the price of pecans. No one could tell a difference.
  • kshama2001
    Cold and rainy out today; great day to wake and bake:

2nkxy6vri2vc.jpg

Some of this is for a Thanksgiving party and some for early holiday gifts - I find the post office crowded and unreliable closer to Christmas.

I went with https://jessicainthekitchen.com/no-bake-chocolate-peanut-butter-energy-bites/ for the vegan option - I'm running out of energy and these were 5 ingredients and no bake. Will try the vegan chai snickerdoodles at some later point.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Cold and rainy out today; great day to wake and bake:

2nkxy6vri2vc.jpg

Some of this is for a Thanksgiving party and some for early holiday gifts - I find the post office crowded and unreliable closer to Christmas.

I went with https://jessicainthekitchen.com/no-bake-chocolate-peanut-butter-energy-bites/ for the vegan option - I'm running out of energy and these were 5 ingredients and no bake. Will try the vegan chai snickerdoodles at some later point.

They all look sensational! I will definitely look up the chocolate peanut butter energy bites.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    For shipping, I have a couple of things that work really well. If you order anything from Amazon, the bubble air packets. They work great in boxes with baked goods. Key is to make sure baked goods cannot move around inside box, Mark fragile so hopefully however they are moving through the system, they do not crush too much. For delicate cookies, what also works, is you know those containers that pringles come in? (I hate pringles). I have a few friends that collect them for me. I layer cookies inside those, and surround with wax paper, and a bit of paper towels.
    Last year, was successful in sending bar type cookie with Jam on it. From Florida to Busan South Korea. Told they were a bit smushed on one side, but came intact. Molasses cookies, I have put in Quakers Oatmeal tall containers.

One year I got three tall skinny popcorn containers, which I kept and reused, to send cookies.