Always feeling hungry and rapid weight gain

I started myfitnesspal at the end of July and since that time I have lost 43 pounds! I started at 280 pounds, was allowed around 2000 calories a day to lose an average of 2 pounds a week. I decided I would try to keep my calories below 1,500 a day in order to carry a deficit, and that has seemed to work great. However, I have noticed that in the past month my weight loss has stalled. I haven't really gained anything, but I haven't really lost anything. I pretty much stay right around the 238-243 pound range. I am always hungry, no matter what I eat, even if it's protein. I drink tons of water to help offset it, but it doesn't seem to matter.

I also seem to notice my weight sometimes balloons up rapidly. For instance yesterday we had a "thanksgiving" gathering with my family. I had ham, turkey, dressing, potatoes, and green beans. I ate a larger amount than I normally do now, but far less than I did before I was on my fitnesspal. Prior to going there on Saturday I weighed myself and I was at my all time lowest, 237.2. Just now I weighed myself after eating that yesterday and then my meals today (which was about 1,500 calories) and I am up to 244. Could that just be water weight from sodium? I've noticed my weight does that often in the last month, especially on weekends.

Any ideas?

Replies

• UVAPhan
    UVAPhan Posts: 21 Member
    I have found the same thing stall and around 5 lbs fluctuation..here is an article about normal fluctuations and their causes.
    https://www.verywellfit.com/why-does-weight-change-day-to-day-4100012

I wonder if you have adjusted your calories lower now that you have lost? The less you weigh the less you burn ...

I have kept everything the same because myfitnesspal has not changed my calories required. It started with around 2,000 and it has stayed the same throughout, even though it's showing I've lost 43 pounds.
  • UVAPhan
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I wonder if you have adjusted your calories lower now that you have lost? The less you weigh the less you burn ...

He has already stated that he is NOT ONLY eating below the calories MFP suggests but is trying to eat below the 1500 Calories minimum for a male. Adjusting MFP goals lower will accomplish?!?!?

I was under the impression the minimum for a male was 1,200, that's why I assumed 1,500 would be sufficient to sustain me and still give me an additional amount toward my deficit.
  • UVAPhan
    UVAPhan wrote: »
    I have found the same thing stall and around 5 lbs fluctuation..here is an article about normal fluctuations and their causes.
    https://www.verywellfit.com/why-does-weight-change-day-to-day-4100012

I have kept everything the same because myfitnesspal has not changed my calories required. It started with around 2,000 and it has stayed the same throughout, even though it's showing I've lost 43 pounds.

Okay, that might be it. Go in to Goals on the app menu and reset your goals for the app by updating your current weight..you should see a change in your calorie amounts after.

I just did this and you are right, it dropped to 1,800.....that's a pretty big difference.
  • UVAPhan
    I don't know whether to ecstatically celebrate with you, congratulate you on reaching out, or bang my head in frustration :smile:

Easy stuff first. Your weight fluctuates. I am sure people will post links. You had a large meal. It was not made out of the same stuff you usually eat. Other people seasoned it. The scale weight you gained is not fat. It will go away soon. You're not using a weight trend app which you probably should start using. Enough said!

I kind of assumed that, so thanks for confirming that. I'll wait a few days and I'm guessing it will even itself out.

The harder stuff.

Do you really believe deep down inside that you CAN win by forcing yourself to be as hungry as you can stand, for as long as you can stand, so that you lose weight fast? What's going to happen when you try your hand at maintenance?

Yeah, I pretty much assumed that since my previous daily intake was far higher than 2,000 when I started that I would just probably have to deal with hunger for a long time. What do you mean as far as maintenance?

Are you currently developing skills and coping techniques and experimenting with foods that fill you up so that you can have a collection of go-to options when the time comes for you to maintain?

Yes, I am trying to find foods that fill me up, but I've noticed that even proteins don't seem to work too well.

You don't state your height. But you're male, so you're probably somewhere between 33% and 50% of your way towards the "healthy" weight range for your height. Which means you have some time ahead of you.

I am 5'10. My doctor suggested I lose 100 pounds to get to 180 due to the fact that I suffer from high blood pressure (I'm on medication) and sleep apnea.

And time will not stop you from getting there.

What WILL stop you from getting there is if you make things too hard for yourself and you quit.

You should NOT be trying to eat less than MFP told you to.
    You should NOT be targeting a weight loss of 2lbs+ a week.
    You should PROBABLY be considering targeting a much lower average weight loss.

I updated my goals and it went to 1,800. So should I be eating all 1,800 calories? And when I go to the gym and say burn 400 calories doing cardio, do I need to eat back all 400 of those calories as well?

In any case, my suggestion would be to increase to 2K calories and after six weeks at the new intake disregard the information from the first three to four weeks and evaluate the changes to your weight trend during the last two weeks so as to make decision in terms of how to proceed.

You may also want to make sure that you re-evaluate the foods you eat. Prioritizing protein, fiber, healthy fats, and satiating carbs and ensuring an adequate intake of fruits and vegetables before splurging on other foods. No hint in your post that you're not doing this already. But it is worth repeating since it is harder to include "everything" when in a deficit (frankly at all times; but hey!)

• UVAPhan
    edited November 2019

He has already stated that he is NOT ONLY eating below the calories MFP suggests but is trying to eat below the 1500 Calories minimum for a male. Adjusting MFP goals lower will accomplish?!?!?

Did not clue in as to the sex of the OP. It was not stated? I assumed I was replying to a woman..1500 calories is certainly within my calorie range for healthy weight loss as a woman around the same weight.

Thank you MFP police! As far as telling someone that they make you want to bang your head off the keyboard.. maybe you should. [/quote

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't state it in the original post but I am a male. I am 5'10 and started at 280. Yeah that response of banging their head against the wall is an interesting form of support......shrugs. I appreciate your help by the way!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,538 Member
    Since a sedentary activity level is generally 1.2 to 1.25x RMR, and since TDEE will usually equal at least a TDEE SEDENTARY level of activity (plus, probably, a few extras), it fairly unlikely for most males to fall below 1500 Cal if they are not pushing for potentially counterproductive deficits <greater than the 20 to 25% previously mentioned>.

Fixed it for me! :smiley:
  • UVAPhan
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    UVAPhan wrote: »

I was under the impression the minimum for a male was 1,200, that's why I assumed 1,500 would be sufficient to sustain me and still give me an additional amount toward my deficit.

As other posters have said, the minimum for males on MFP is 1500 - and that is only for very very short & sedentary males. You're not short.

Have a read of this, and substitute 'man' for 'woman' and '1500' for '1200': https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

So knowing that now, I've been doing this all wrong for 3.5 months. I lost a ton of my 43 pounds in the first 2.5 months and now my weight has stalled. Do you think eating too few calories could have had something to do with that?
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Why do you guys count your calorie so meticulous? It"s not natural way to interact with food. In long thousands years of human history we never count calories and still we ( as a whole community) survived all kind of conditions: temperature decrease and increase, floods, lack of food, physical endurance. If you overeat one day, why not to abstain of food the next day?.... You always will be in balance with yourself and food caloric load. Don"t think that your body stupid. Your body is much smarter then any of smartest doctors or dietitians. It knows exactly how to regulate it's own nourishment.