Newbie question about overnight oats.

Heya so I've recently had 2 McDonald's breakfasts as I was on the early at work and it's just fast and easy. I wasn't able to eat from 7am till 1:30pm so having something before work is needed. I am on 6am starts next week so was curious about overnight oats. Last time I attempted them I just made a milk with bits in. It never created a more 'oats' like texture. Any advice on what I did wrong? Or any pointers anything. I don't want to do another McDonalds breakfast so need some advice. Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• its_cleo
    its_cleo Posts: 544 Member
    I think you have to get the right kind of oats. I get rolled oats. I dont like the steel cut oats. I portion it equally- half cup oats to half cup water.

My fave addin right now in the morning- dice an apple and a teaspoon of cinnamon.
  • its_cleo
    Sorry not water, milk.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    In my experience, it doesn’t work very well with steel cut oats. I prefer steel cut, so I make a big batch on Sunday and portion it in individual servings.
  • its_cleo
    You can pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds in the am but in that case I would add a bit more milk.

I don't get why people don't like it cold, people eat cereal cold and it's pretty much the same thing.

But to each his (or her) own.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    jeffjeff85 wrote: »
    Honestly, I dont know how anybody eats that stuff. I LOVE oatmeal, ate it for decades. But cold oatmeal I just cant do. I tend to think others think the same.thing, but its trendy like the emporers new clothes .... ppl do what they see others do.
    Just sayin, dont be shocked if you 'get it right' and arent impressed. 😳

Soaking oats goes back over 100 years. It's just the name "overnight oats" that is new.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    There are lots of overnight oats recipes online that come out better than just plain oats and milk. You can add frozen fruit, yogurt, chia seeds, vanilla, all kinds of stuff. Give it a Google.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I make mine with chopped almonds, chia seeds, dried blueberries, dash of cinnamon, oats, chopped tart apple--skin on, frozen raspberries, and then drizzle milk over it all. You can use regular milk or almond, whatever. I look forward to my breakfast every morning and don't get tired of it.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I use traditional rolled oats, 1 part oats to 2 parts milk. I like to chuck in a tablespoon of chia seeds.
    Easy to warm them up for a few seconds in the microwave.

If they're to eat later on our of the house you can make not porridge up in a thermos, just mix in the hot milk and in cooks in the flask.
  • tohyidrive
    tohyidrive Posts: 14 Member
    I love it. Have been eating for months and still look forward to it every morning.

This yields 2 servings:

Rolled oats - 1 cup
    Unsweetened almond milk - 1 cup
    Chia seeds - 1 tbsp
    Greek yoghurt (can be flavoured, like Vanilla/Strawberry etc) - 1 single serve tub (about max 1 cup)
    Honey/Maple syrup - 1 tsp

Mix well, then separate into two glass containers.
    Put blueberries / frozen mango / bananas/ etc on top.
    Keep in fridge for max 3 days.

Do once and you have 2 mornings' worth of breakfast settled.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    jeffjeff85 wrote: »
    Just sayin, dont be shocked if you 'get it right' and arent impressed. 😳

I eat overnight oats because I really like them. Assuming other people can't possibly have different preferences to you, and must just be blindly following the herd, is more than a bit insulting, you know!

I pointed out that if he doesnt like it, it may not be from doing it wrong. I have done it 'right' and dont like it, even with ingredients I do like.

Be insulted if you like. Some folks like that option. 👌
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I love cooked oats. Overnight oats taste like raw soggy oats to me. :s Oh wait, that’s what overnight oats are.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    mitch239 wrote: »
    Heya so I've recently had 2 McDonald's breakfasts as I was on the early at work and it's just fast and easy. I wasn't able to eat from 7am till 1:30pm so having something before work is needed. I am on 6am starts next week so was curious about overnight oats. Last time I attempted them I just made a milk with bits in. It never created a more 'oats' like texture. Any advice on what I did wrong? Or any pointers anything. I don't want to do another McDonalds breakfast so need some advice. Any help is appreciated.

I make them with yogurt. 100g of vanilla yogurt with 25g of rolled oats and 10g of peanut butter. It gets almost a custardy consistency. If you use Greek yogurt, you do need to use some milk too, otherwise I think it gets like spackle lol. IMHO if you just use milk it's too... gloppy for me.

Another ready to go idea is egg muffins. They're basically little frittatas you bake in a muffin tin. You can eat them cold or throw them in the microwave in the morning.
  • APPYMAMA22
    APPYMAMA22 Posts: 11 Member
    I do a big batch of overnight steel cut oats and it lasts over a week. 2 cups of oats, 3 cups water and 3 cups plant milk in my heavy Dutch oven. Bring to a boil and let boil a few minutes while stirring. Cover and take off the heat. Go to bed. In the morning, yummy smooth delicious good-for-you oats. Warm up your portion in the microwave, add mixins, and yum.