Merry Maintenance Break

It's that (most wonderful) time of the year for a lot of us, and I have decided to try something different this year: although I am not yet at goal I'm taking a maintenance break from Thanksgiving through mid-January.

While I have been through several cycles of weight loss I have never taken a maintenance break before. I'm either losing or...the opposite. In 2019 I have lost 11lb. Since 2016, when I started really tracking, I've lost 23lb. This is slow progress but I am trying to make it stick for life. I think it could be a good experiment to ask my body to settle at my current weight before attempting the home stretch.

I will weigh in and take my measurements on Wednesday morning before leaving for Thanksgiving. That will be my maintenance weight for the next two-ish months. Then I will use this thread to record weigh-ins when I can, but I will be traveling (fun!) a lot over the holidays and staying in places that probably won't have a scale. I usually gain 7-8lbs over this period :grimace: and am hoping that a more moderate approach will give me different results this year.

If anyone else is planning a maintenance break for the holidays please join me here!

Replies

• donidaily
    donidaily Posts: 825 Member
    Oooh some great thoughts here, thank you for taking the time <3 I really appreciate the advice about water retention (definitely an issue for me and I'll factor it in!) and about balancing calories out over a week rather than trying to hit a perfect number every day.

You're right @TangledThread tracking is key. If I can just stick to that habit—and I really really do intend to—even if I don't totally nail this I will have some data to look back over and learn from. The reason I am taking such a long time is that I have a perfect storm of Thanksgiving-Christmas-New Year-work travel that takes me from now until January 9. So for me New Year efforts realistically start after that. Exciting and slightly daunting...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    What happens next year when you are presumably at goal and your eating cannot or should not change for this period of time? I am not saying to ditch your plan but I would suggest that you consider finding alternate stress management tactics while you do it. You don't want weight management first in line to "go out the window" during periods of heightened stress.

I am about to join you on a prolonged break through. Mine is a recomp break that I intend to last for about 4 months. I will practice maintenance while working on fat conversion instead of fat loss. I still have enough to lose that this is an early first recomp but I think it is right for me. I am not in any hurry to finish losing and my plan has been fairly easy to sustain for close to 2 years so getting back to it should not be a mental struggle.
  • MyEvolvingJourney
    MyEvolvingJourney Posts: 369 Member
    I can totally relate with losing slowly! I've been working at this for three years, and I've lost 65 pounds total. I'm glad you posted this because I'm working on maintaining for now, too! Like you, I was always trying to lose through the holidays or going to the other end and just eating whatever. This year though, I think trying to maintain is the goal. Good luck to you!
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    donidaily wrote: »
    It's that (most wonderful) time of the year for a lot of us, and I have decided to try something different this year: although I am not yet at goal I'm taking a maintenance break from Thanksgiving through mid-January.

While I have been through several cycles of weight loss I have never taken a maintenance break before. I'm either losing or...the opposite. In 2019 I have lost 11lb. Since 2016, when I started really tracking, I've lost 23lb. This is slow progress but I am trying to make it stick for life. I think it could be a good experiment to ask my body to settle at my current weight before attempting the home stretch.

I will weigh in and take my measurements on Wednesday morning before leaving for Thanksgiving. That will be my maintenance weight for the next two-ish months. Then I will use this thread to record weigh-ins when I can, but I will be traveling (fun!) a lot over the holidays and staying in places that probably won't have a scale. I usually gain 7-8lbs over this period :grimace: and am hoping that a more moderate approach will give me different results this year.

If anyone else is planning a maintenance break for the holidays please join me here!

I have done this periodically over the two year period when I was losing. I think it's a great idea during traveling and also holidays, and with both of those in the mix, I think you are being smart and realistic. Good luck!