Broccoli, ugh

13»

Replies

• PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    I don't know if this would work with broccoli, but with things that I don't like (like peppers), I chop them up incredibly finely (sometimes with a food processor) when they're in a recipe (like a soup). I find that this makes them less objectionable to me.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    If you like spicy roast with olive oil, garlic, and cayenne pepper. I love broccoli salad, broccoli with golden raisins, toasted sunflower seeds, bacon, and red onion with a dressing of mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and sugar. Not low calorie but delicious! It's also good in pasta salad, pasta with broccoli, olives, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, celery if you like it, and Italian dressing.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2019
    I like raw broccoli, but not cooked. I really don’t like any of the cruciferous vegetables roasted or cooked. Love them raw. Since I do the cooking/meal preparation, I choose the method.
    Too few calories to eat things you don’t like.
    I have been growing broccoli sprouts for months now. They are great on sandwiches and salads. Sulforaphane is in all cruciferous vegetables, but the broccoli sprouts have a lot more, and is very good for you, and can be beneficial for some diseases. My husband had prostate cancer surgery 5 years ago. He’s been monitored quarterly ever since. Very slow growing cancer was detected at the site. It needs to be a certain size before treatment can be started. At his last two check ups, no growth of the cancer. It’s been eight months since we started broccoli sprouts in our diets. May be coincidence, or may be something to this? Very worth the try. They have a very faint broccoli taste, but in salads or sandwiches you don’t notice it much, and I find the added crunch enjoyable. It may be something you would like to try for the health benefits, since you don’t like broccoli, OP.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Just don’t eat it.

My boyfriend and I ordered steamed shrimp and broccoli from a Chinese restaurant over a year ago. We ate so much broccoli that neither have us have taken a bite since. Still kickin’
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    I never eat broccoli, or even anything with brocolli in it.

Wife says dont be a baby, just pick out the broccoli. I said fine, when I make chili, just pick out the jalapenos.

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Roast it in the oven with olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.

If you don't like it, don't worry about it. Broccoli is healthy, but so are a ton of other veggies that you'd probably like more.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Was interested to see people's suggestions as I too cannot stand the taste, texture, smell, basically anything to do with broccoli. I might give some of these a go, or not and keep supplementing with multivitamins.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Was interested to see people's suggestions as I too cannot stand the taste, texture, smell, basically anything to do with broccoli. I might give some of these a go, or not and keep supplementing with multivitamins.

Its not really a binary choice between eat broccoli or take multivitamins.

You can get a perfectly adequate amount of vitamins from other foods than broccoli.

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member

You can get a perfectly adequate amount of vitamins from other foods than broccoli.

Yes, duh, not like I'm only popping pills, hence why I said supplementing. But thanks for your helpful input, greatly appreciated :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    You don't have to eat broccoli..there's lots of other veggies out there to try.
  • paperpudding

Yes, duh, not like I'm only popping pills, hence why I said supplementing. But thanks for your helpful input, greatly appreciated :)

I didn't say you were only popping pills.

But what I said still stands - it isn't a binary choice between broccoli and taking ( supplementing if you prefer that word) multi vitamins.

One can get perfectly adequate nutrition without broccoli.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    I know broccoli is super duper healthy but I really don't like it. What can I put on it to make it taste halfway decent? I'm good with spicy food but Tabasco on broccoli doesn't cut it!

I realize this post is over two years old but am still going to reply as others may find it helpful.

For spicy broccoli, incorporate it into an Asian stir fry.

There are dozens of other options from the Cruciferous vegetable family. You might prefer one of them. For example, I find cauliflower to be a lot more versatile than broccoli. (I eat broccoli all the time, but just steamed with butter, salt, and pepper.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables
  • paperpudding
    Oops, didn't notice we were in a zombie thread.

Hopefully the advice and suggestions for OP are useful for others