Cauliflower rice!

Realise this is old news to many people but I’ve only just discovered it! Never been a huge rice fan but I love this stuff! And it’s so low calorie, it’s brilliant! Tonight I cooked chicken egg fried rice for the family but substituted my rice for cauliflower rice - much nice and a half the calories 😁

Replies

• chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Yes!! It's amazing stuff and I eat tons of it. I buy it in bulk from Costco. 😁
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I've never been a huge cauliflower rice person but I can eat mashed cauliflower potatoes by the head.
  • me1issaD24
    me1issaD24 Posts: 1 Member
    I love it in a fake burrito bowl!! As long as theres lots of other flavors and textures
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I love rice and I LOVE cauliflower but I can’t do cauliflower rice! Not sure why, because it ought to be right up my street.

Not sure what I do wrong - I love my cauliflower barely cooked and when I try the cauliflower rice thing it just tastes ‘off’. 😢
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I do like cauliflower (or cabbage) to bulk up dishes for less calories, but I don't like completely eliminating the starch.

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2018/10/01/cauliflower-mac-and-cheese-recipe/

Halve this recipe unless you are cooking for an army: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14690/cabbage-roll-casserole/
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I love rice and I LOVE cauliflower but I can’t do cauliflower rice! Not sure why, because it ought to be right up my street.

Not sure what I do wrong - I love my cauliflower barely cooked and when I try the cauliflower rice thing it just tastes ‘off’. 😢

How do you cook it? I prefer my cauliflower rice to be sauteed in a pan rather than boiled. Love it that way but really don't like it boiled.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member

^^ same here
    If its rice I want, its rice I'll have - no alternative will do.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited November 2019
    I love it with hot salsa over it. anything to mask the nasty flavor of cauliflower! I haven't had real rice since I started my wlj, but I much prefer it any day!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I’ve started sautéing it in brown butter and it’s sooo good. Gives it a little extra something and the brown butter kind of helps take away a bit of the sweetness that I find cooked cauliflower has.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    just_Tomek wrote: »

It does taste "off" if its under cooked. Cook it until all the moisture is out, so that its actually dry and crumbly. Then it tastes like cauliflower should :)

So would you do that in a dry pan? I’ve always just blanched it in salted water.

I’m averse to using oil or butter to cook it as that’s negating the calorie saving in my head. I’d much rather eat a small portion of rice than cauliflower rice if the calories aren’t massively less.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    AmyG1982 wrote: »
    I’ve started sautéing it in brown butter and it’s sooo good. Gives it a little extra something and the brown butter kind of helps take away a bit of the sweetness that I find cooked cauliflower has.

Everything tastes good in brown butter, especially pilaf and popcorn! Makes the house smell amazing too.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member

maybe you should use raw cauliflower and just mix in your hot ingredients... so it stays crisp for you. I do my zuchini noodles this way to keep the bulk and bite. You could also just "flash boil" it after ricing/grating the cauli, if you want it slightly soft.
  • BarbaraHelen2013

It does taste "off" if its under cooked. Cook it until all the moisture is out, so that its actually dry and crumbly. Then it tastes like cauliflower should :)

So would you do that in a dry pan? I’ve always just blanched it in salted water.

I’m averse to using oil or butter to cook it as that’s negating the calorie saving in my head. I’d much rather eat a small portion of rice than cauliflower rice if the calories aren’t massively less.

Place teflon pan on the stove and medium heat.
    Dump you riced cauliflower into it and season with S+P.
    Allow to simply to its thing and stir once a while. You will see the texture begin the change as the water evaporates. I like to take mine to the point of it being almost crispy / dry. It will then absorb any flavour from your sauces in the dish you are serving it with.

Thank you! I’ll try it that way. 😊
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

Place teflon pan on the stove and medium heat.
    Dump you riced cauliflower into it and season with S+P.
    Allow to simply to its thing and stir once a while. You will see the texture begin the change as the water evaporates. I like to take mine to the point of it being almost crispy / dry. It will then absorb any flavour from your sauces in the dish you are serving it with.

This is my favorite way to cook it too! I have found it comes out the best like this.

Another way I like to do is spray tin foil with cooking spray and pour a bunch on. Then bake at 400 until the outside of the "pile" gets brown and crispy. The texture comes out great this way too. (I have done it baked from frozen and fresh)
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    It’s not for me, I’ve tried it multiple times, in varied recipes and I just don’t like the flavor. I wish I could, i love rice and eat it regularly. It would be a great way to save some calories if I could like it. Alas I just don’t. I’m not low carb so I just eat the regular stuff and count the calories.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Love cauli rice! It’s versatile and I use it in many recipes! I don’t notice a big flavor/ so when people say they don’t like the taste — my cauli rice is pretty bland /// so not sure what funky stuff they are using lol

ps - I perk it up with different spices and dry it out for a great texture ...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Yea I'm not a fan. I don't like cauliflower though. Aldi sells frozen riced cauliflower so I gave it a try for a couple weeks because it was an easy thing to throw together for lunch, but it's just not for me. I went back to regular rice. More calories, but it also fills me up more.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Lol, I had Thai basil chicken & rice for lunch, chicken cacciatore over rice for dinner, and I'm going to have rice pudding for a bedtime snack. #alltherice!

I did add cauliflower to lunch to bulk it up a bit.