36yo, can anybody relate? Long post.

Hello ladies. Will try to be as concise as poss. Been 6ft and size 10-12(uk) all my life. At 32yo ad never had children, within a few months I gained 2stone and am now more like a 14 (bmi jumped from 20 to 24). I started to feel 'different'. Went to the Drs, no help. Came off microgynon after 16yrs with a few gaps inbetween (to be hormone free) for the copper coil, which was fine for 12 months, 28 cycle reappeared immediately (I hadn't really bled on the pill for the last few yrs). Fast forward to 34yo, I start spotting inbetween, clots and pain - so I have the coil out. A couple of months later my cycle started coming every 20-22days, my bloating is so horrendous Dr sends me for ovary scans, which were clear. Now, my hair is thinning but dry and greasy, I go through phases where my body odour is stronger, bags under my eyes, bloating still, aches, can't sleep through without needing a wee (last night was twice and I still had one when I woke this morning), I am forgetting things like people's names and spelling things wrong, dizzy spells with tingling left arm, breakouts on my face ebery few months, and this weight will not budge (going to try keto in Jan), I have been fit all my life - my stamina is better than ever despite the weight gain, my boobs are regularly sore, the fatigue and lack of zest for life is getting me down, hot flushes I have had but they are rare - I don't recall having a proper one since spring where my back was on fire and I had to strip off - thank frig I was home!

Drs and sexual health nurses have been very dismissive of me, my change in cycle being the main thing that cemented my thinking in my journey towards peri, but all I get is 'too young', ignoring the fact that this does happen to a larger number of women they are willing to admit. I asked to try the minipill and at first the symptoms abated and I miraculously dropped 10lbs, then just as quick the weight and some of the symptoms came back (I am 6months on Desogestrel).

Can anybody relate to any of this? Sorry for the long post. Thinking of coming off the pill and seeing where my cycle is at.

Thanks for reading xx

Replies

• Mandapoose
    Mandapoose Posts: 7 Member
    I should also mention that I seem to be growing a goatee and a hairy chest haha
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Have you been tested for PCOS?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Did other women in your family have early menopause? it sure sounds like that. Including the dizziness.
  • Mandapoose
    edited December 2019
    Hi Sabine. Yes, they said I was fine with regards to PCOS and couldn't see anything obvious on my ovaries on the scans. Also, they ran the tests randomly, whereas I have also read they need to test on days 3 and 21 of your cycle (or something) - although I don't have a 21st day any more, I would be bleeding on that day.

I am considering getting my own comprehensive blood tests ordered as I have read that results that are borderline or close to on anything will just be classed as normal, even though there could be issues.

With regards to family history, my mum thinks my nana was earlier than average (I am seeing her next week so will ask) and my mum had a hysterectomy around 39yo.

I am not really seeing much benefit to this pill so far, I went on it to try and stop the three weekly bleeding and corresponding *kitten* symptoms but apart from being protected, not much is different right now. I only felt good around months 2-4 but now it is like how I was before it. And Christ, I just want to be slim again 🙁

Thanks for your response x
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    My first thought was PCOS or Syndrome X. Many women with PCOS, myself included, have no cysts on the ovaries. It is more of a hormone imbalance assortment of symptoms.
  • Mandapoose
    Wouldn't that definitely be picked up on blood tests though? X