HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Replies

• fe4j8jv7lrz3.jpeg
    Ladies, you all look amazing! 😍 👏🏼

Strength training helped completely reshape my body. 💪🏼

Nice work.
  • MarissaRiv23
    MarissaRiv23 Posts: 406 Member
    fe4j8jv7lrz3.jpeg

Nice work.

Thank you!
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm 46 and what's inspiring to me is how much better and healthier middle aged and older women look when they are strong. But, honestly, it's hard to find inspirational pictures of women in that 40+ age range ... few women in older generations lifted, and many of those that did stopped as they got older. Where can I find pictures of strong, muscular, fit older women?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    edited November 2019
    @robingmurphy.
    This thread, if you haven’t read it already, is full of women over 40 who lift.

The first two posters alone, @mom23mangos and @quiksylver296, are great examples of women in their 40’s who lift with different goals.

There are loads of other 40+ers sprinkled throughout the thread all the way up to 60+.

The recomp thread is well sprinkled too.

Cheers, h.
    Sorry on my phone had to edit to post thread.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1
  • MarissaRiv23
    MarissaRiv23 Posts: 406 Member
    YukiChan7 wrote: »
    fe4j8jv7lrz3.jpeg

Geez! What a transformation! You don’t even look like the same person! You look so freaking good! It just goes to show you what amazing results hard work & consistency will give you.

Thank you so much!! ❤️ It took about 3 years, but it was worth every workout! 💪🏼
  • Mmcook70
    Mmcook70 Posts: 2 Member
    Love all these pictures of all these amazingly fit women!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited December 2019
    @amioc Thanks!

I believe those photos were a few years ago. I did run some bulk/cut cycles, but if you are looking to lean down and retain muscle to look more defined/toned,you just have to eat in a deficit, lift and get enough protein. Definitely want to follow a progressive resistance program. I ran Strong Curves and other similar programs by Bret Contreras. Lifting programs with focus on the lower body/glutes. In terms of eating, just make sure you are in a deficit (nothing too steep)...track all your intake on here, and get adequate protein at least 0.8-1g per lb goalweight (or more) is what I aim for.

What specific diet issues are you having? Are you feeling hungry, cutting out all the foods you enjoy? It can help to play around with different things... macros, fibre levels, volume of food, including small treats into your day, also meal timing and calorie banking can help many people with hunger and staying in a deficit.
  • amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @amioc Thanks!

I believe those photos were a few years ago. I did run some bulk/cut cycles, but if you are looking to lean down and retain muscle to look more defined/toned,you just have to eat in a deficit, lift and get enough protein. Definitely want to follow a progressive resistance program. I ran Strong Curves and other similar programs by Bret Contreras. Lifting programs with focus on the lower body/glutes. In terms of eating, just make sure you are in a deficit (nothing too steep)...track all your intake on here, and get adequate protein at least 0.8-1g per lb goalweight (or more) is what I aim for.

What specific diet issues are you having? Are you feeling hungry, cutting out all the foods you enjoy? It can help to play around with different things... macros, fibre levels, volume of food, including small treats into your day, also meal timing and calorie banking can help many people with hunger and staying in a deficit.

Thankyou I will look them up now 😊. The banking calories sounds good to me. I think maybe I’m restricting myself to much and then I just binge. I haven’t gained any weight but I haven’t lost anything either. I need to get my s**t together otherwise my hard work I’m the gym won’t pay off.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Bump
  • Bump

Good one.
  • enaliba
    enaliba Posts: 146 Member
    Hello! I won’t have access to a gym or any equipment until next fall...so what core exercises can I do to best condition my body? I want to start lifting again next fall but until then, I want to regain my health and best prepare my body. For context, I am 6 months post the birth of my baby and have the all clear from my doctor, just no gym!

For aerobics, I currently walk and am going to start Couch to 5K soon.

Thanks!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    enaliba wrote: »
    Hello! I won’t have access to a gym or any equipment until next fall...so what core exercises can I do to best condition my body? I want to start lifting again next fall but until then, I want to regain my health and best prepare my body. For context, I am 6 months post the birth of my baby and have the all clear from my doctor, just no gym!

For aerobics, I currently walk and am going to start Couch to 5K soon.

Thanks!

Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym are two popular bodyweight programs.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!