For the love of Produce...

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    The very brave possibly crazy concoction turned out amazing and prolly never repeatable because I sort of cleaned out the fridge and added a bunch of ‘dabs’ of stuff.

n6iw05qrrsbm.jpeg
    gco67tmcu07a.jpeg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,589 Member
    Advise please. What would do with an excessive amount of squash?
  • acpgee
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »

Since you and I might call squash pumpkin or zucchini, which one is it?
    If pumking, roast and season then pure in a blender, portion and freeze. Serve along meat.
    If zucchini, make bread/cake and freeze.

Thanks. It is a combination of a large wedge of pumkin and a couple of acorn squashes.
  • acpgee
    Roll your own Vietnamese summer rolls for a dinner party at my place. Everyone dips the rice paper wrappers in water, fills and rolls. Main filler was a combination of grated carrots and bean vermicelli. Greens were lollo rosso lettuce (chosen for soft texture), thai basil, coriander, and mint. Protein selection was grilled turkey breast, grilled sirloin and poached prawns. Dipping sauces of nuoc cham, and some commercial satay sauces.
    y625hbhw9xpd.jpeg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member

If pumking, roast and season then pure in a blender, portion and freeze. Serve along meat.

Thanks. It is a combination of a large wedge of pumkin and a couple of acorn squashes.

Yes, freezes well.

It tastes good with sweet white miso, if you want to eat it as a simple side. Besides the obvious soups and baked goods, it's good as a lasagna filler (ricotta cheese, eggs - so basically custardy; I like caramelized onions (lots of them) and minced sage leaves in it).
  • acpgee
    Have come to the conclusion my current pathetic crop of pea shoots was not due to cold weather but poor quality seeds. Last time I planted dried marrowfat peas sold for eating I bought them from the Tesco. I planted from the same box every summer for three years and got several harvests of pea shoots each time.

When I finally ran out of dried peas this year I bought regular dried peas from the green grocer and they failed to germinate both on the balcony and planted indoors on a window sill. I guess I am stuck with having to eat them. Hubby is heading to the Waitrose later today so will try to find marrowfat peas again for growing shoots.
  • purplefizzy
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes, freezes well.

It tastes good with sweet white miso, if you want to eat it as a simple side. Besides the obvious soups and baked goods, it's good as a lasagna filler (ricotta cheese, eggs - so basically custardy; I like caramelized onions (lots of them) and minced sage leaves in it).

Yessssss! In squash heaven with all of these.
    I’m super into roasted winter squash cubes (pre-roasted with S/P/oil, I like coconut oil) - I chill them and sort of toss them into everything, during the week, as I throw dinners together.
  • acpgee
    Thanks everyone. I made the roast squash puree but it is too sweet for my taste. Made soup with some of it and froze the rest mixed with lemon juice and miso.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Thanks everyone. I made the roast squash puree but it is too sweet for my taste. Made soup with some of it and froze the rest mixed with lemon juice and miso.

Soup is my favorite way to make it too, as I'm not a fan of the puree for similar reasons. I find plain roasted acorn squash to work as a side, and find it somewhat less sweet than some of the others.

I asked about ideas when I was overwhelmed with winter squash earlier in the year (I still need to freeze some), and one excellent idea someone gave me was stuffed acorn squash -- something like this, but with whatever ingredients you have on hand that seem to work (I find that a spicier sausage pairs very well, and used apple and greens): https://cherishedbliss.com/sausage-and-apple-stuffed-acorn-squash/
  • purplefizzy
    I roasted a head of cauliflower. Added cooked buckwheat, sliced cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, bunch of fresh, avocado, herbs.......... and then it began. What if.......... so I added a can of marinated hearts of palm sliced and a can of pickled white asparagus sliced. And then I whipped up my version of tahini dressing. OMG....... another meal that surprised me with simplicity and flavour. I would be happy without topping this with a lovely grilled chicken breast, but was much happier with it as a topping haha :)

Hearts of palm MAKE a salad for me.
    I forget how much I like them.
    Then I stumble upon an errant can in the far reaches of the cupboard... and 💥! Reminded why I love them all over again.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    I've never had hearts of palm, do they taste like anything similar? I've never had pickled asparagus either!

Had the worst kabocha squash, it looked dried out when I was cutting it up but was definitely not a good one when done, it was like a dried out potato and I roasted it for less time than I normally roast squash. It was expensive too, I'm only going to get them from the Asian grocery store now.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    Thanks for the reply Tomek! I'll have to pick up both. It's amazing how different the same food can be, I recently tried dried lima beans in the Instant pot and they're nothing like the frozen ones I grew up on. Love both though frozen I've only had with butter and sour cream!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Love you don't waste the leaves!
  • acpgee
    The mother of my Vietnamese girlfriend pickles the outside leaves of cauliflower.
  • acpgee
    What veggie sides are people planning for Christmas? I've got a family member who can't digest brassicas so a lot of classical accompaniments for goose like braised red cabbage and roast brussel sprouts are out. Any seasonal ideas not involving the cabbage family would be welcome.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2019
    We don't do goose on Christmas, but usually prime rib. When I was growing up we did turkey, and it was somewhat similar to Thanksgiving (I do a green beans with mushrooms and almonds for that, among other dishes).

However, here are a few ideas: https://www.foodandwine.com/slideshows/christmas-goose-dinner