Starting to struggle

Trying to gain weight.
Beginning to struggle, after a week of trying to gain weight.
Feeling queasy in the evenings, finding it harder to eat/ feel appetised by calorie dense meals.
Is it normal to feel this way in the beginning?
Any tips welcome!

Replies

• doubleap77
    doubleap77 Posts: 47 Member
    Trying to gain weight when everyone else is trying to lose is a weird place to be.

I found that I needed to do the exact opposite of what normal recommendations were. Especially eating at night. While I was on my dirty bulk, I would pound peanut-butter-and-protein milkshakes about an hour before bed. Thus, I’d put in about 800 extra calories at the end of the day.

Other than that, I recommend eating a large breakfast if you can. If I didn’t get between 800-1,000 calories at breakfast, it felt like I was playing carch-up all day and then I was forced to eat hard later, which wasn’t as much fun as you would think.

Just a few pieces. Hope it goes well!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Are you trying to eat "clean" or are you focusing on just hitting your calories and macros?

Eating "clean" and trying to bulk for some is difficult. Things like cheese, fatty meats (like bacon), avocados, and other higher fat foods can help fill calories without being filling.

Adding in things like ice cream and cheesecake after hitting your micronutrient needs isn't going to make you gain any additional fat compared to the same calories worth of nutrient dense foods.