WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

p87xtze01is1.jpg

:) December can be a difficult month with shopping, eating, and family issues looming bigger than usual. It has helped me to navigate life's challenges with the help of supportive friends.

:) That's what this thread is about. The title says "Women Ages 50+" but all women are welcome.
Some of us set goals or resolutions for the month and others just take life one day at time and try to build and reinforce good habits. Please join us on this journey.

:) Don't forget to bookmark the thread so you can find it again.

:) Please sign your post with a name or nickname and a general geographic location so we can get to know each other better.

<3 Barbie from NW WA

My word for 2019 is "pause"

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    New month- Tree real or fake ? Hubby worried 😦 about JR y a real tree 🌲. Will see his decision soon enough other concern is Daughter coming so late don’t want a dead tree.
    Hubby wants to fight the crowds get some stuff for JR y Groceries. I’m not going out the crowds are terrible this time of the year!

Still lots to do but not accomplishing my out the pictures on a flash drive or cleaning the bathroom as fast as I hoped. Got other stuff done tho. JR been playing outside a lot which means anything indoors can’t get done/ he’s into everything outside so nothing can get done there either. Oh well with time that will change every few months is a new milestone. Switching JRs diet up Oreos for Chocolate teddy grahams (more fiber) y chocolate chip teddy grahams bunch more flavors. Trying to introduce more new foods limit his baked Cheetos. Want to slowly get him used to the idea like school lunches you eat what you get.

Freash orange juice squeezed from my tree today. Finally it’s maturing so the oranges taste better sweeter than last year.

Same as last month y been trying to figure out menu for restaurants. So much to decide. The menus aren’t the same at all restaurants in the chains so looking for multiple choices in case.

My measurements are the same except my waist is down a few inches!!! Woohoo 🙌
    Weights not showing all of it but measurements are from efforts all month long.
    Watching Hamdmaids tale it’s really good nothing like the news portrayed it was written before Dems against reps y vice versa nonsense! It’s not against religion it’s more what if a radicalized cult took over went over board on their ideas 💡 some wanted to bail out but now they can’t. Women trapped no matter their social status . Environmental issues of wars,toxins,y female infertility on the rise due to issues unknown only guesses of why. The fight of ones soul as they would go any lengths to save their children 👶. I liked it. Males who want freedom for all against those who want it only for the elite. Struggles in it make you start off by thinking you know the villans...but you don’t. They dig deep into their past,middle,y now. You fall in love with some realize others are monsters. You see how abuse changes one for the better,worse,or in between as they all struggle to be free. The main character refuses to leave unless her children are all free (sounds like me wouldn’t leave a Abuser who kidnapped me trapping me in his cult religion without my Daughter no matter how many bones they broke you find strength no one could imagine the Mama Bear in us all! ),but she takes routes even she never thought she would as it goes on.
    (On Hulu)
    Amber Tx

Guacamole
    1.seasoning in any markets veggie or seasoning section says guacamole seasoning
    2.lots of avocado 🥑
    3. Lemon 🍋 juice
    4. Spinach leaves torn tiny
    5. Guacamole salsa 💃
    6. Onions 🧅 diced tiny

Mash y mix tadaaaa freash guacamole serving size 2 Tbls.

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Rebecca- Hotel food when I worked at the breakfast bar as a fill in at big chain ones was all in bags they didn’t allow us to make from scratch (lawyer stuff). Small chain one yes fresher but depending on the one you get what they call breakfast ...cereal with donuts 🍩 or fresh real eggs y toast or breakfast tacos 🌮. Egg in a bag was egg substitute had to be warmed in water from a microwaved bowl of water (boiled). The oatmeal was in a bag you popped in a microwave it came out how it came out cook adds nothing! It’s what the manufacturer did.
    Muffins taken out of freezer premade warmed in microwave with paper towel over. Even the bacons in a bag! The perks no chance of food poisoning less allergies for many people with less chance of waste. Bananas y fruit are real go so quick especially bananas!!! 3-10lbs in an hour!

Restaurants are getting to be the same most are premade by company the cook only adds garnishes y heats it up. More lawsuits for coffee with a lose lid the more things are not fresh.

Amber Tx
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Happy New month ladies!!! Thanks Barbie for being out fearless leader.💖
    So this weeks yummy jar, my husband picked chocolate chip cookies, and son picked peanut brittle. I have my shopping list for stuff I don't have. This will pace the sweet things in the house, plus it was cute watching son pick from the wads of paper choices.👍
    💖Rebecca
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,023 Member
    Thanks Barbie!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🧡💙💜❤️
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    Thank you Barbie!

November summary:
    same or better than October-marked with a *.
    Daily: *log 100%, weigh *100%, vits 90% , Ci<Co=83%, Ci <250 Co=30%, 5 mins training or 10 mins groomingTumble=53%, check in mfp 97%
    3 days/wk: 30 mins cardio (dance class, pack walk) =?
    3 days/wk: Better Bones & Balance =?%
    Weekly: *rx=100%
    Monthly: firehouse security committee mtg LISTEN, help projects move forward. 0%
    Bonus: AF 63% average steps 5138
    Not done: finish email list for dog group, sew something, play something.

No improvements, only a few same as Oct. Forgot to log weeklies, only missed two BB&Bs. Tuesday Line dance cancelled.
    CiCo, Tumble, steps, play and AF need more attention. Time to back out from Monday firehall except for special issues. Changed to Board meeting and grant work follow up.

December strategy:
    Better than November! Log weeklies and monthlies..
    Daily: log , weigh, vits, CI<CO, CI <250 CO, Tumble (5 mins training or 10 mins grooming), check in mfp
    3 days/wk: Better Bones & Balance or T'ai Chi
    Weekly: rx, 90 min dance class (Tuesdays canceled for the holidays), 30 min pack walk (allowing for weather)
    Monthly: firehouse board meeting and grant work.
    Bonus: AF, average steps > 5344 (Oct average), finish dog group email list, sew something, play so
    mething.

SuziQ Grr for phone hell.
    Betsy in NW WA, safe travels and hope that judge/mediator tells your brother and cousins some home truths.
    Kim 6 lbs of bacon into one meal? Glug.
    Michele SMH no Weather Channel in hotels. Crazy!
    Katla would love to see a pic of the Christmas Ships parade... ;)

Struggling here a bit with motivation, energy levels. Seems like the days are so short, the dark nights so long. Need pip's boot to get out into the light when I can.

Gratitudes Day
    #17 Knowledge: learning how Joe's way of processing information is different from mine, how to communicate non-judgementally and effectively.
    #16 My body: well last night I would have been hard pressed to respond positively or gratefully to this challenge. Have been catching glimpses (shudder) in the mirror, in the morning at T'ai Chi and last night at line dancing. Received my Land's End order in the post, and the first shirt I tried on nearly made me cry. Look so fat! Tried on another and it wasn't quite as bad so wore it to line dancing. Will try on the rest later today and return the ones I really really won't wear. SO time for a flip. I AM grateful for my legs, how they are improving with BB&B, and how I can use them for quality time walking with Joe and the pooches. Like Heather said, grateful for my mobility. As for the rest, like Evelyn said, it's time to take better care of my body, starting with being grateful for it just as it is right now.
    #15 Season: Summer. Used to be autumn, the colors, the smells. Winter too cold, Spring to drizzly. Summer here on the coast is perfect, only 3 days of 90+ degrees and so long as no wild fires, the air is clear.
    #14 sight: my DH's lowered pressure numbers, his glaucoma has stabilized with no immediate need for surgery. Long may he see the ocean from our front room, the dogs playing together at the edge of the woods, the fog through the trees.
    #13 abilities: touch typing ;)
    #12 texture: Tumble's double coat, long straight strong guard hairs undercoated with soft downy fur. Shadow's silky puppy ears.
    #11 holiday: Christmas. The music, the lights, the scent of the Christmas tree, the story, the memories, the taste of egg nog, tom and jerry's, and oh yes... baking, smelling and eating the COOKIES!!!
    #10 taste: today its fresh ice water. After too much wine it really tastes good. ;)
    #9 place: our property, all 15 vertical acres of it, woods, ferns, creeks, mud, brush, critters, peeks at the ocean and the way it smells when I get out of the car. “Home!”
    #8 book: To Build a Land by Sally Watson. Read this children's novel when I was 9. It was about a group of Jewish orphans transported to Israel after WWII. Identifying with one of the characters sparked a life long interest in archeology, Hebrew and ultimatly spurred me to visit the holy land in 1980.
    #7 memory: at holidays Papa told stories about his younger days, during Prohibition and the Depression (but never about WWII). I could repeat them almost word for word but enjoyed them every time. That's one thing I miss about not having family left for holiday get togethers.
    # 6 nature: the forest's scent and the ocean's clamour
    # 5 sound: Joe snoring
    # 4 food: Fage Greek Yoghurt
    # 3 color: blue skies after a gray rainy foggy couple of days.
    # 2 tech: my Win 7 laptop. Dread migrating to something newer/supported.
    # 1 smell: clean, bleached whites while transferring from washer to dryer.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for November: get up and do it EVERY day!
    Steps=2242 :P vits=27 log=30 CI<CO=25, CI<250<CO=9 Tumble=16 mfp=29 AF=19
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    <3 Barbie from NW WA

My word for 2019 is "pause"

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

Barbie,

Thank you for consistently continuing this thread and for your words of wisdom.
    SuziQ
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    Thank you soooooo much, Barbie! <3

Barbara - Love your knowledge choice. I feel a bit like that some of the time. ;)

For me I am grateful for my endless curiosity that has brought me knowledge about many, many different subjects. My most unusual area of knowledge must be the history of Israel and the Early Church. I have just finished yet another book on the subject. :o I read mostly non-fiction these days - a lot of medicine, genetics, anthropology, archaeology, history, biography. I love to dig around in science.

I had to make a decision this morning about whether to go to the Christmas Party for the Swing Dancing. After a lot of agonising I have decided not to go. It's complicated, but I'm glad I have settled on giving it a miss.

This afternoon I am going to clean the dining room and living room so I can make a start on Christmas decorations. Normally I would get DH to do his share, but I don't want to aggravate his back. I'm going to put some lights on the Christmas tree that's growing in our front garden and the new baubles that I bought when I was with my friend. If anyone steals them that's too bad. They weren't expensive. Last year I noticed that a lot of people had decorations on their outside tree. I hope I can remember where the lights are!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Working today
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,927 Member
    Viv: Fingers crossed for SiL's results. BAH!!! To the electrician messing you about.
  • SuziQ113
    Hello one and all.

Okie, Beth, Heather, Lanette, Karen, Terri, and Barbara – Thank you all for your comments regarding my phone issue. My frustration was mostly due to the provider’s policies and the representative basically lying to me regarding the delivery. At the store the technician/employees helping me all said (I will not mention names) they all work for the company and had for years, but also hate the company’s policies. I will be composing a letter with the transcripts of my chats and sending off to the provider. It may help someone in the future.
    Silver Linings – Although my phone issue was extremely frustrating the outcome of getting a new phone far outweighed the downside of my experience. I learned, once again, the importance of backing everything up including my phone data. I also learned how to upload and convert data between different cloud services and a few new apps. The new phone is fantastic. It measures my steps, can measure my heart rate and stress levels, is 5G, and syncs with MFP. Note to self – be more patient through times of frustration!
    All – I am sorry about my rant yesterday. Looking back I feel it was a very petty situation especially since so many on this thread are full caretakers, have family and friends who are overcoming major diseases and illnesses, are struggling with health issues, or are fighting their way back to a healthier mental state. My heart goes out to you all.
    Karen – I loved the moving of the house story. Women should not be underestimated. It’s great the house was saved for future generations. So many want “new” today.
    Barbie – I remember both my mom and grandmother every time I make broth from any type of carcass or bone. During times of my childhood I would detest we were having soup “again”. As I grew up I realized it was a way of extending food when there was little and the older generations were taught not to waste. I now find myself craving those soups and always make stock when a carcass or bone is available.
    Terri – Congratulations on your weight loss.
    Kim – I am so happy you had a nice Thanksgiving. Wow, bragging about six pounds of bacon! I do love the stuff, but goodness. I keep seeing a heart attack on a plate. What a great thing to do for the little lady – circle of life ceremony. You certainly have a big heart.
    Michele – It sounds like you had a good trip even though the road food was not something to be desired. I have breaded fish in the morning and cooked later on in the day. I make sure the fish is very dry when I prep in the morning. I have never attempted to prep the day before.
    Katla – In Florida almost every coastal town has a boat parade. The events have gotten so big it is almost impossible to go to one unless one has a hotel booked a year in advance or has a friend with a coastal home.
    Viv – I find myself thinking more about dear Charlie during the holidays too. We had many future plans too. My salve is knowing I was fortunate to have met him even though our time was cut short. If I lived closer I would wring the electrician’s neck for you.
    Heather – I was struggling with an event too. I am sorry to say it is a wedding. But, after making my decision I honestly feel lighter. There are a host of reasons the biggest being financial and some emotional. It requires an overnight stay and clothes which at this time I cannot afford. I will send a wedding present with a note explaining my absence.
    Lisa – Thinking of you. Yes, like you, I never was comfortable with hugs. Though I thoroughly enjoy giving them when needed.

Wishing all a great day.
    SuziQ - SFL
  • SuziQ113
    Day 20 - December 1
    I am grateful for all of the knowledge I have accumulated and the ability to continue to learn and grow.