Nutrition career

Dears,

I am thinking of taking fitness and nutrition online courses. Something recognized, accredited and gives me a well-known globally accepted certification.

Can anyone guide me for the best course(s) and organisation to consider?

Thanks all.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Do you know anyone (or even know of anyone) working in this field in the type of career you'd like to have? That would be the best person to ask.
  • lynn_glenmont
    I'm really not trying to be snarky. I would give you the same answer regardless of what field you were asking about. If you don't know or know of anyone doing this, reach out to everybody you know (preferably IRL, or at least people on social media you have an established relationship with, because then they'll be more willing to spend their networking capital on you) and asking if they know anybody with the type of career you want, and if they can arrange an introduction. If you're an alum of an institution with an alum network, you could reach out with the same query. If you can find a professional organization for people with the kind of career you want, they may be able to give you advice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    edited November 2019
    Here in the US registered dietitians are regarded much more highly than nutritionists, as that is not a well defined term, unlike RD.

I cannot comment on global acceptance, however.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2019
    Yes, if you really want a career in the field, I'd look at what you need to be licensed in your state or country. You would want to find an accredited program: see here (https://www.nutritioned.org/illinois-nutritionist.html) and here (https://www.nutritioned.org/registered-dietitian-illinois.html) for examples. Nutritionist does seem to be quite regulated in my state, although RD seems more specific, and there are a confusing number of different kinds of nutritionists with different requirements: https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ct-xpm-2013-03-21-ct-met-nutritionist-types-20130128-story.html.

I'd look at the requirements where you are and consider what your goals are.

Here's (https://www.precisionnutrition.com/can-personal-trainers-give-nutrition-advice) a discussion about what fitness professionals who are not RDs can do re diet and nutrition (it's limited, and this is from a site that offers courses to fitness professionals on nutrition coaching).

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I'm really not trying to be snarky. I would give you the same answer regardless of what field you were asking about. If you don't know or know of anyone doing this, reach out to everybody you know (preferably IRL, or at least people on social media you have an established relationship with, because then they'll be more willing to spend their networking capital on you) and asking if they know anybody with the type of career you want, and if they can arrange an introduction. If you're an alum of an institution with an alum network, you could reach out with the same query. If you can find a professional organization for people with the kind of career you want, they may be able to give you advice.

I didn't think it sounded snarky. It's good advice.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I didn't think it sounded snarky. It's good advice.

Thanks. Sometimes I worry that a short answer, especially one that isn't really the answer the OP seemed to be looking for, can come across as snarky, because text = no tone.
  • ArwaMuslimah
    ArwaMuslimah Posts: 24 Member
    ISSA <3
  • ArwaMuslimah
    ArwaMuslimah Posts: 24 Member
    And PN certificate (precision nutrition)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I suspect "globally accepted" will be a bit difficult given the nature of anything that requires a license. Given that we don't know where you live, even local or regional recommendations would be difficult. If you're in the US, I second basically everything that kshama2001, lynn_glenmont, and lemurcat2 said.

If you're in the US, I would also suggest looking through the resources and information that is on the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' website. They are the organization that houses the accrediting body for RD programs in the US, the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics. More specifically browse through the links on this page.