Non-Dieting Dropout

So, I’m done with the non-dieting culture and back into the dieting culture. Must lose this weight now. What do you all do when you start out again? Do you go straight to 1200 or whatever your losing calories are or do you start higher and go down a week at a time. I’m thinking going straight to 1200 is going to make this process much harder because well, I’ve done this a few times. Just wondering what you all do.

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    A 1,200 calorie/day diet is brutal and very likely to end in frustration, binging, and then regain. Have you ever met a person who did a 1,200 calorie diet and didn't gain the weight back? I haven't. Not ever.

Go to the MFP Goals tool, enter 1 or 1.5 lbs per week (or thereabouts) as your goal, and eat however many calories it says to eat, never less, and try not to eat more too often. Then you'll get what you want, in time.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    A 1,200 calorie/day diet is brutal and very likely to end in frustration, binging, and then regain. Have you ever met a person who did a 1,200 calorie diet and didn't gain the weight back? I haven't. Not ever.

Go to the MFP Goals tool, enter 1 or 1.5 lbs per week (or thereabouts) as your goal, and eat however many calories it says to eat, never less, and try not to eat more too often. Then you'll get what you want, in time.

I did a 1200 plus 2/3's of my exercise calorie a day diet, reached my goal weight and have been there for well over 2 years. However, I am not even 5 foot tall so 1200 is appropriate for me. Unless you are vertically challenged 1200 is unrealistic as it is not sustainable. You are much more likely to end up in a binge/restrict cycle than have permanent weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Marcie9278 wrote: »
    So, I’m done with the non-dieting culture and back into the dieting culture. Must lose this weight now. What do you all do when you start out again? Do you go straight to 1200 or whatever your losing calories are or do you start higher and go down a week at a time. I’m thinking going straight to 1200 is going to make this process much harder because well, I’ve done this a few times. Just wondering what you all do.

Sometimes I would transition for a week. Sometimes I would go straight to the lowest calorie level I could tolerate. Each time it resulted in a rage quit and a highly enthusiastic binge-like overfeed. I would promise to resume shortly but it was a promise I always broke.

Aside from visiting a surgeon and having fat sucked out of you there is no losing fat weight now. Eating less than what is optimal for you greatly increases your chances of failure while normally only increasing your rate of loss by a tiny amount. It does not take much to see that the risk vs reward here makes it an unfavorable plan.