Oatmeal: friend or foe?

I’m on a mission to lose weight and lower my A1C. Working on all the numbers, really. With a cold season already here, oatmeal sticks to the ribs, and warms me, fills me. I make it with almond milk and a dash of vanilla and cinnamon. Now , I see this You Tube guy saying I’m better off eating poison!! My A1C is a 6.1, and I don’t want it higher. What’s the thoughts on plain old oatmeal??

Replies

• tracydnevins
    tracydnevins Posts: 27 Member
    Its good to know I’m not the only oatmeal lover here! I knew that guy was a loon.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Fruit Loops over oatmeal??? Um yeh, no!
    Ok, the kid in me loves Fruit Loops. What's not to like. They're sweet, fruity, crunchy, fill my child like taste buds.
    But I know oatmeal is sooo much better for you!! And tastes good too! Gets me going on a cold morning and keeps me filled up until lunch time. I just cook it with water, apple chunks and cinnamon. Hot Yummy Breakfast in less than 3 minutes in the microwave.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    Its good to know I’m not the only oatmeal lover here! I knew that guy was a loon.

You realize that literally all it takes to become a "YouTube guy" is a camera and an internet connection, right?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I would like to subscribe to the theory that oatmeal is poison but not if it means I have to eat fruit loops.

Not even fruit loops, but "froot" loops, lol.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Youtube is full of nonsense. I bet I could find a naysayer for every food. We should all be breatharians.

Breatharians? But there are chemtrails in the air! Do you secretly work for the CIA, Rel???

Enlightenment comes to those who hold their breath.

Yeahbut since most fat leaves the body via exhalation, they won't lose any weight.

If enough gas builds up couldn't you just burp it out or allow it to leave through "back channels"?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Youtube is full of nonsense. I bet I could find a naysayer for every food. We should all be breatharians.

Breatharians? But there are chemtrails in the air! Do you secretly work for the CIA, Rel???

Enlightenment comes to those who hold their breath.

Yeahbut since most fat leaves the body via exhalation, they won't lose any weight.

If enough gas builds up couldn't you just burp it out or allow it to leave through "back channels"?

Is your body an interconnected series of trapdoors that allow these things to happen, like some kind of biological Rube Goldberg device? Remarkable!

Back on topic (in my case for the first time in this thread):

I love my daily oatmeal, with Greek yogurt, berries, cinnamon, a few walnuts, hemp/flax seed, and a bit of blackstrap molasses. It keeps me full for hours (though that's not true for everyone), and was definitely a big help in weight loss for that reason alone. It's also nutritious, and is good for digestive throughput and possibly cholesterol levels.

Like others have said, weight loss is very likely to help your A1C, and other health markers. As long as oatmeal doesn't spike your blood sugar, it should be good.

The only thing wrong with my oatmeal is that I feel sad when the bowl is empty. ;)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member

Oatmeal is fine but incorporate some extra protein into your breakfast for longer sustaining power until lunchtime.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited December 2019
    Is your body an interconnected series of trapdoors that allow these things to happen, like some kind of biological Rube Goldberg device? Remarkable!

Back on topic (in my case for the first time in this thread):

I love my daily oatmeal, with Greek yogurt, berries, cinnamon, a few walnuts, hemp/flax seed, and a bit of blackstrap molasses. It keeps me full for hours (though that's not true for everyone), and was definitely a big help in weight loss for that reason alone. It's also nutritious, and is good for digestive throughput and possibly cholesterol levels.

Like others have said, weight loss is very likely to help your A1C, and other health markers. As long as oatmeal doesn't spike your blood sugar, it should be good.

The only thing wrong with my oatmeal is that I feel sad when the bowl is empty. ;)

Remind me not to attempt humor that is not technically accurate around you.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    It is my best best friend, eaten daily with berries, nuts, milk, Greek yogurt, and whatever else I feel like.