30,000 calories in one day!

I’m in the maintenance phase but I’ll admit I wasn’t super diligent for Thanksgiving. For the most part I’ve still been healthy, within my limit, and doing the same at the gym. I keep constant tabs on my weight as well. On Thanksgiving morning I woke up 153 which is within my acceptable range. All in all for the day, I only went over 600-800 calories and I planned on doing that. My sore shoulder and back from chopping firewood a few weeks ago was still nagging me. When I was in the shower that night those muscle went on a total spasm and I was in a lot of pain, could barely move. When I weighed myself in the morning the scale read 159! What??? I had my husband weigh himself and it was normal so it wasn’t a broken scale. Now, I know I didn’t eat 4500 calories the previous day much less 30,000. I ended up having to get muscle relaxers and took them ever 6 hours for 2 days then I was well enough to stop and just take ibuprofen. But my weight is still hovering at 157-159 in the mornings. If it was a gain from inflammation, wouldn’t it be gone by now? This can’t really be a real weight gain can it?? Someone please explain this to me. For reference, I’m not menstruated or ovulating and not retaining water in the usual ways.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Its not real gain, inflammation easily causes a few pounds gain for me until it goes, my weight will stay higher - have seen it hang around for a few weeks because I was taking Ibuprofen.

If you're in maintenance you should be aware by now how much the scale fluctuates for a host of reasons.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634529/why-did-the-number-on-the-scale-go-up-this-week-heres-why#latest
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Beeingthin wrote: »
    I’m in the maintenance phase but I’ll admit I wasn’t super diligent for Thanksgiving. For the most part I’ve still been healthy, within my limit, and doing the same at the gym. I keep constant tabs on my weight as well. On Thanksgiving morning I woke up 153 which is within my acceptable range. All in all for the day, I only went over 600-800 calories and I planned on doing that. My sore shoulder and back from chopping firewood a few weeks ago was still nagging me. When I was in the shower that night those muscle went on a total spasm and I was in a lot of pain, could barely move. When I weighed myself in the morning the scale read 159! What??? I had my husband weigh himself and it was normal so it wasn’t a broken scale. Now, I know I didn’t eat 4500 calories the previous day much less 30,000. I ended up having to get muscle relaxers and took them ever 6 hours for 2 days then I was well enough to stop and just take ibuprofen. But my weight is still hovering at 157-159 in the mornings. If it was a gain from inflammation, wouldn’t it be gone by now? This can’t really be a real weight gain can it?? Someone please explain this to me. For reference, I’m not menstruated or ovulating and not retaining water in the usual ways.

Your husband slipped calories into your drink. What a joker!

(I weighed 5lbs over my target last night. Freaked out, yeah. This morning it was an acceptable 2lbs.)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2019
    As others said, water retention from your shoulder. Maybe you had higher sodium foods as well, on Thanksgiving?
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    I can’t remember where I read this, it was a few years back, so I can’t be sure if the source, but I do remember reading that Ibuprofen can cause some water retention as well. That may be a factor for you as well.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    None of us EVER like seeing that. Don't get down on yourself because you don't like the number. Just try to accept such fluctuations as reality, remind yourself of the meaning, and keep focused on your eating and fitness plan. If I can do that, I'm happy.