Coffee question

Hi,

this is a question from a coffee noob. After using a coffee pod for a cup of coffee, are we suppose to throw it away right after or how many cups more can we brew before throwing it away. The reason I ask is because it feels like a waste when I see more coffee powder stuff left.

Also, is coffee healthy for dieting?

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    You can re-brew coffee grounds, but they get progressively weaker and weaker. They do not dissolve like a drink mix.

In a Keurig, you cannot reuse disposable pods.

I use a French Press, and I will reuse grounds but add about 1/2 a serving of fresh grounds on top for a second cup. I use less coffee grounds overall that way.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Coffee is a great low calorie drink in a diet.

However, as with many food items, what you put in it greatly changes the caloric and macros values. If you go to a coffee store with calorie values on the menu, (or go to the menu nutrition) you can see that you can order a 5 calorie drink...and way, way up from there. https://www.dunkindonuts.com/en/food-drinks/hot-drinks/coffee
  • Une_Poire
    Une_Poire Posts: 55 Member
    I no longer have a Keurig but did often re-use the pods one time. This was if I had recently brewed. Knowing I would use it again, I'd leave it in place. So typically, the re-use was within a short period. The second cup is noticeably weaker. My Keurig lasted several years, so I don't think this caused it any problems.

I more often used my own coffee in the reusable filter. That I typically did one time only and reloaded with fresh coffee for another cup.
  • SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    Hi,

this is a question from a coffee noob. After using a coffee pod for a cup of coffee, are we suppose to throw it away right after or how many cups more can we brew before throwing it away. The reason I ask is because it feels like a waste when I see more coffee powder stuff left.

Also, is coffee healthy for dieting?

If you don't care about flavor/taste and potency then re-use the pod. In my opinion, it's best to throw the pod away after first use. Otherwise like someone suggested in the thread, buy one of those re-usable cups that you fill with coffee grounds and brew it that way.

Coffee is healthy for dieting if consumed in moderation. One-two cups of coffee a day should be enough. I prefer one cup. Best to drink it black. Here's a link for more explanation regarding coffee consumption below. Good luck!

healthline.com/nutrition/coffee-and-weight-gain

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Ew - throw out the Keurig and buy an old fashioned coffee pot and a cheap coffee grinder. You can grind your own, out of a million choices of beans, flavors and strengths. Make as much/little as you want, stick it in the fridge to keep it fresh. Pods are a waste of money and the Keurig system is gross - Google some of the stories about how bacteria collects over time and there's no way to clean the well.

Once you get into grinding coffee and experimenting with flavors you'll never go back. You'll save a fortune and you'll be helping the planet a little too! LOL!

I drink straight up strong black iced coffee as a pre-workout. The caffeine works by breaking down triglycerides (fat) inside fat cells and it stimulates the fat cell to release those triglycerides into circulation - this is where the energy comes from or the "caffeine rush".
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    You'll be left with mostly colored water and zero taste. I have a DeLonghi combo coffee/espresso maker and it's cheaper than buying those disposable pods but you have your pod machine. Buy the refillable/reusable pod and you'll save yourself some money.