Cholesterol (lowering naturally)

So my cholesterol is NOT too bad, but because I am a Type 2 diabetic they want me to take a Cholesterol medication. So I started Atorvastation last week and have been dizzy and just blah 2 days after taking it. I do not want to take this med anymore and just told my physician this. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do naturally keep my numbers low? Also I have lost 40lbs since October doing very low to no carbs, I have been slacking since I have come back from my honeymoon so I do have to start this again. But any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tammy

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited December 2019
    The dizzy/blah feelings are unlikely side effects to atorvastin (Lipitor) but if an unlikely side effect is affecting you then for your purposes it's 100%. (Edited to add that atorvastin also lowers triglycerides which might be a reason your medical provider chose that particular drug.) Interestingly, some statins including atorvastin affect blood sugar levels, which considering your diabetes and "carb slacking," might be the mechanism behind your tired/dizzy symptoms. If it was me, I would focus on that part and persist with statin treatment for a month. In terms of non-pharma approaches to lowering LDL and keeping HDL at good levels, dietary intake of omega 3 and exercise for the HDL and upping soluble fiber intake for the LDL might be a bit helpful. But be aware that "helpful" may not be enough, given your risk status.
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Hi, for some of us weight loss and exercise are not sufficient to lower cholesterol. It did not work for me, probably because I have a genetic disposition to high cholesterol, as my father died of heart disease. So I take 10 mgs of atorvastatin and that works for me. It is sufficient to bring my cholesterol within normal limits and has absolutely no side effects at such a low dosage, If it is making you unwell it might be best to try another brand because contrary to what many might believe diet and exercise, while usually beneficial, are not always the answer. Best Wishes.
  • Stefhscherr
    Stefhscherr Posts: 11 Member
    I'd just like to add that I was taking Lipitor 20 mgs and had digestive issues with it. It was lowered to 10 mgs and I had no side affects and lowered my cholesterol significantly.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Thank you all for your input. Just found it strange that I was feeling good until I took that medication. I was on 10mg. Maybe I will ask doctor to find me something else. I do need to exercise A LOT more and maybe that will help. My triglycerides were at 295 and I brought those down to 170 just with the weight loss. I will talk to her again and see what she suggest. Thank you all again.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Hi, I am a T2D as well. And I can 100% vouch that increased exercise will bring those numbers down. It may or may not mean you can get off the medication though as your Dr. will take many different blood test results into consideration. I lost 24 lbs between September and end of November this year. But really stepped up my cardio exercise. Basically indoor bike riding for an hour 6 days a week. Brought my Tryglercides from 273 down to 109. And the rest of my Cholesterol numbers as well. Both T2D and heart attacks run in my family. I also am on 10mg of the atorvastin. I basically was told they would need to see the real low numbers sustained for about a year and me in a normal weight range before we could discuss removing it. And I decided I am ok with that. I had been one or two others first that I had issues with, this one works better for me. But if you are having issues with it, please bring it up to your Dr., so they can find one that works best for you.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    As others have said, exercise and reducing body fat helps. Also, try increasing fish oil - Seriously, I take 6g of fish oil daily. My cholesterol has never been better and it has all been due to a combination of exercise, fish oil, and no longer eating carbs. With all of that, my cholesterol is significantly better than it was even when I was taking a statin.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    Outside of the previous suggestions and given you are diabetic, are your managing carbs? Other things that can help is eliminating added sugar and highly refined oils (high in omega 6s) and increasing consumption of fatty fish and foods high in omega 3s. Adding fiber to the diet can improve things as well.

Overall, weight loss and exercise have the biggest impact, and then focusing on the small things above can help more.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Outside of the previous suggestions and given you are diabetic, are your managing carbs? Other things that can help is eliminating added sugar and highly refined oils (high in omega 6s) and increasing consumption of fatty fish and foods high in omega 3s. Adding fiber to the diet can improve things as well.

Overall, weight loss and exercise have the biggest impact, and then focusing on the small things above can help more.

My cholesterol was borderline high so my doctor recommended fatty fish in addition to losing weight and exercise. I do not eat fish (just cannot stand the taste no matter what people do with it) so she suggested fish oil instead. I do krill oil because I don't burp up any fishy taste from it. My next lipid panel was great (although my HDL is still lower than ideal, it has been getting better).

Not sure if the weight loss and exercise would have done it as much without the krill oil but this is working so I will stick with it.