Low carb

So I’ve always been a carb eater. Bread, tortilla, sweets, soda. Now I have to cut down in order to get healthy. I need some help. I’ve looked up recipes but I don’t seem to find anything I like. Can you guys recommend some good low carb recipes?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    It's hard to know what someone else will like.

My suggestion is to take recipes that you like (or look around the internet to find some) and adapt them yourself to be lower carb or different carb.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Research keto diet
    This is pretty much no carbs
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I just reduce portions of starches like rice and pasta and increase protein and non-starchy veggies.

It's very easy for me to overeat starches plus fat, but if I add the bulk of veggies and satiety of protein, I feel full on less calories.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Why do you think you need to cut down on carbs to "get healthy"?

How do you disagree with a question? Weird...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    So I’ve always been a carb eater. Bread, tortilla, sweets, soda. Now I have to cut down in order to get healthy. I need some help. I’ve looked up recipes but I don’t seem to find anything I like. Can you guys recommend some good low carb recipes?

What is good for me may not be good for you.

I think the best way to start is by focusing solely on moderating and substituting just enough of what you eat now so that you end most days inside your calorie goal. This will cause a calorie deficit which will force your body to burn fat which makes you healthier if you have too much currently.

A common substitution is "diet" versions of soda instead of full calorie.

Post your favorite recipe and perhaps someone can suggest either a way to lower the calories without losing too much of the original appeal.
  • procolorer
    procolorer Posts: 326 Member
    Look at keto recipes (this doesn’t mean you have to follow keto) but there are a lot of good recipes out there that will help you cut carbs if you so choose!

I just had cauliflower crust pizza for lunch. Tonight we are doing steak tacos and trying a cheese tortilla. Filling and delicious!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I just eat the same things I normally do and cut down on the portions while increasing fruits and vegetables for satiety. If you don't like any of the recipes that are low-carb, this might be a better route to take.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Well consider switching to diet soda if you drink regular soda that will save carbs from the sugar.
    And even for tortilla's there are some that are lower carb, that taste pretty good. Even for breads, there are lots of choices of different grains. Even pasta these days. Lots to choose from without going full low carb.

And even with going less carb. So instead of maybe having 250 or more grams of carbs per day, you could consider dropping to less than 175 or so, and be more moderate carbs. By switching type of rice, type of pasta, having more fruits and veges not that hard to do. And if no food restriction do to health, slide in some treats here and there.