Protein powder

I got protein yesterday from Walmart. Yes I decided to be lazy and get a crappier brand than usual. I've had cookies and cream but it was muscle Pharm. This one was six star. It smells a bit off but also tastes slightly funny. Could it have gone bad? Expiry is 2021. Is it bad to keep it? Not sure if anyone else tried this one and if that's how it tastes. Not worth going back to Walmart and returning but just wondering if it's okay to use.

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Return it and eat carbs / fat / protein as provided by nature. I find that "6 star" comment interesting - how many stars are there supposed to be in the protein system? 8 ? 10 ? If 10 - then the product has a mediocre 60 %. Protein in eggs etc. always has a 100 % "protein star grading".... :)
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Return it and eat carbs / fat / protein as provided by nature. I find that "6 star" comment interesting - how many stars are there supposed to be in the protein system? 8 ? 10 ? If 10 - then the product has a mediocre 60 %. Protein in eggs etc. always has a 100 % "protein star grading".... :)

Six Star is a brand, not a rating.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Generally dry items don't go bad unless moisture makes it's way in. Was the seal good when you opened it and/or is there any sign that moisture crept in?

I get that very same protein powder from Costco and the stuff is like the finest wine compared to some of the other protein powders I've tried, at least taste wise. Costco also sells Gold Standard. Pretty sure roaches won't eat that *kitten*! lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I have MP Cookies and Cream at home right now. It doesn't smell bad or taste funny. Return it.
  • rahimlj
    rahimlj Posts: 239 Member

Haha thanks. Six star is actually the name of the brand lmao. thanks 👌
  • rahimlj
    I have MP Cookies and Cream at home right now. It doesn't smell bad or taste funny. Return it.

Ah okay. This one was the six star brand. Mp usually has never smelled for me. Maybe next time I'll get mp again thanks. Just saw these posts.
  • rahimlj
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    Generally dry items don't go bad unless moisture makes it's way in. Was the seal good when you opened it and/or is there any sign that moisture crept in?

I get that very same protein powder from Costco and the stuff is like the finest wine compared to some of the other protein powders I've tried, at least taste wise. Costco also sells Gold Standard. Pretty sure roaches won't eat that *kitten*! lol

Hey. Muscle Pharm is a good one that I've used. The one that smelled was actually the six star brand from Walmart. It seemed there was no moisture. I basically stopped using the Walmart one for the most part and will probably go back to using MP. Probably the best one I've had.
  • rahimlj
    JBanx256 wrote: »

Six Star is a brand, not a rating.

Haha exactly 👌
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    edited December 2019
    Cheap protein powders often have cheap ingredients and an off taste. I would avoid Wal-Mart, Grocery Outlet, etal.
  • Swoleisthegoal4311
    Swoleisthegoal4311 Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2019
    Protein powder is honestly a sham. Too many sugars and artificial flavoring whether it's muscle milk or optimum nutrition. My suggestion: two cups PASTEURIZED egg whites or one cup 2 cups = 50 g of protein 1 cup = 25g (the cartons from the store) 1/2 cup oats 2 table spoons peanut butter a banana and some coco power. You now have around 40-70g of protein depending on how much egg white you've used in a super healthy drink.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Protein powder is honestly a sham. Too many sugars and artificial flavoring whether it's muscle milk or optimum nutrition. My suggestion: two cups PASTEURIZED egg whites or one cup 2 cups = 50 g of protein 1 cup = 25g (the cartons from the store) 1/2 cup oats 2 table spoons peanut butter a banana and some coco power. You now have around 40-70g of protein depending on how much egg white you've used in a super healthy drink.

My protein powder has no flavours or sugars, it's just whey.

Also I have heard studies where the raw egg protein was not as digestible and significantly less vs cooked egg. I would be mindful of that.
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Protein powder is honestly a sham. Too many sugars and artificial flavoring

Sham; a thing that is not what it is purported to be.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a sham. Now if you think they're lying about the nutritional value that's another story, but the well-established brands are well-established for a reason; because they're legit.
  • Alex3128l
    Alex3128l Posts: 5 Member
    I like the Raw Sport protein powders, the elite one includes ingredients I might otherwise take as separate supplements and lasts a long time, as daily recommended amount isn’t massive.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Protein powder is honestly a sham. Too many sugars and artificial flavoring

Sham; a thing that is not what it is purported to be.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's a sham. Now if you think they're lying about the nutritional value that's another story, but the well-established brands are well-established for a reason; because they're legit.

So mankind survived without them for millennia, and billions have been blown into advertising because "it's so good for you..." and now mankind NEEDS them because... some of us are using cell phones now? What has so drastically changed during the last 40 years or so that suddenly the chemical industry (beg your pardon: "healthy food providers") have to jump in to safe mankind? Most of those products are for the privileged few - book the next holiday to a third world country and experience for your own mind and body how real poverty looks and feels like, where a loaf of bread feeds a whole family for the day. I am seeing this every single day and yes - there are people out there who do make a difference every single day. I live in South Africa - by choice, not by privilege.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member

Doesn’t taste like a sham in my delicious chocolate protein pancakes!! To each their own. Cheers!
  • rahimlj
    Cheap protein powders often have cheap ingredients and an off taste. I would avoid Wal-Mart, Grocery Outlet, etal.

Thanks! Will do 👌
  • rahimlj
    sardelsa wrote: »

My protein powder has no flavours or sugars, it's just whey.

Also I have heard studies where the raw egg protein was not as digestible and significantly less vs cooked egg. I would be mindful of that.

Thanks for your advice. It's good to see it and the others on here. 👌💪
  • rahimlj
    Alex3128l wrote: »
    I like the Raw Sport protein powders, the elite one includes ingredients I might otherwise take as separate supplements and lasts a long time, as daily recommended amount isn’t massive.

Thanks for your advice 💪