Gym Induction Tomorrow

Hi all, after 8 years and 3 babies I’ve finally got my youngest into childcare and joined a gym again.
My diet has been healthy throughout but I’ve been very sedentary. I feel weak and unfit. My overall weight and BMI is fine but I’m not very toned.

So .... what do I want from my induction? Is there a particular aim I should get across? I was hoping for some warm up stretch exercises, basic weight equipment training and figure I could work out the cardiovascular equipment myself?

What do you guys recommend I specifically ask for?

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    they should set you up with a routine that has warm up, strength and cool down. they should be willing to go over the equipment anytime you ask. just go and have fun
  • vincewolpert112
    vincewolpert112 Posts: 3 Member
    Just have fun. Start with the things you are most uncomfortable with. Then work your way down to things you may already know but need a refresher on. And as Michael1976_ca said, at any time you can ask for help with a machine. (Its a liability thing) also don’t get stuck in the same routine or your body will settle in.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Give your PT something to work with by defining specific goals.
    You say you are weak - how strong do you want to be? What kind of strength?
    You say you are unfit - how fit are you aiming for? Any event strikes your fancy as a long term goal?

Also fill them in on your training/exercise past and what you enjoy.

Anecdote alert!
    I've seen the same PT really enthusiastic when presented with clear goals and give the best squat and deadlift tutorial I've seen to one person and then just churn out a typical bit & pieces, keep the client busy flitting about the gym cookie cutter routine to another that had absolutely wishy washy goals such as "general toning".

PS - warm up and stretch are different things although dynamic stretching can be part of warm up.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Keep in mind that if you are just starting out, anything you do will be effective. It doesn’t have to be complicated and you don’t have to kill yourself. Keep it simple, moderate, and enjoy getting moving again.
  • jonsek
    jonsek Posts: 50 Member
    Thank you all, I had a really great induction.

Sijomial you were very right about having a focus. The guy went from a mumble about the strength equipment to a full on, quite passionate delivery on correct technique and a brilliant run through of some floor core exercises when I guided him that way.

I hurt so much though now!! Literally used muscles I don’t think I have for years!
    I’m booked back in the cover cardio as took over an hour today!

😁 Thanks guys 😁 I had a great time.