December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,518 Member
    Stay strong @Faebert and @LoveyChar - you know know we will all be wishing nothing but the best for for you

They can be tricky little blighters @quilteryoyo and at least it is only bent plastic and metal. The deer are pretty tough, one ran out in front of my SO driving home a few years ago. We live near a forest where the deer are tracked so they know which deer it was, found it and the gave it some treatment but it would actually have been okay without it. Over $3k damage to the car and we still have to pay extra on this insurance premiums years later!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I follow this guy on Instagram as he has the most beautiful running style and is an absolute joy to watch. Anyway, he’s based in Sweden and just posted this clip of him running on an icy track, which made me think of all of you running in the frozen north at the moment. Worth a watch regardless of his skill in the ice!

I can totally imagine @PastorVincent doing this!

He runs using the gazelle technique. I use the glider technique, most of the time. So I would look nothing like that. ;)
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,425 Member
    @quilteryoyo glad you are OK. Hope somehow the deer is OK too 😥

@PastorVincent hope your foot isn't hurt too bad.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Ugh, I stink at posting consistently on here. I am going to try to work on that. :#

I am going for 100 miles this month. I am training for March’s marathon, plus I am doing a challenge with a local group to get in at least 1 mile of running or walking each day from Thanksgiving to New Year’s. On strength training days, my plan is to walk at least 1 mile after I do weights.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    12-1 7k easy
    12-2 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-3 rest

December Total: 14k
    December Goal: 135k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k
    August Total: 133k
    September Total: 135k
    October Total: 115k
    November Total: 155k

2019 Total through November: 1,578k / 978.36m

Monthly average: 143.45k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races. Completed 8-31
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k. Nope...
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen - Completed 9-28

Rest day today. Senior Center day trip.

@Faebert hope everything goes well.

2020 goals:

Continue a 5k regimen.
    Train better.

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k - 31:39 chip time; 32:00 Garmin time; Third Place male 60 and older
    10-13 Haunted Hustle 5k - 31:22 chip time; 47/74 overall; First Place male 60 and older
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    1203-11k total-28k goal-120k

Regular old run this morning on regular old route. Not much to report. It was somewhere around 4 degrees and sunny, so I was rather warm in tights, fleece shirt and thick gloves. Still, pretty solid throughout. I got some hunger pangs around 3km and was worried it might turn into a rerun of last Sunday's long run, but they soon subsided and I felt fine until they resurfaced at 10km, and by then I was nearly done.

Still, maybe I should eat something before morning runs longer than 10km.

@Faebert good luck! Sending positive vibes your way.
    @LoveyChar @PastorVincent I also go the audiobook route. Currently using "A Short History of Nearly Everything" to get me through my long runs. 18 hours of poking fun at scientists and human race in general! Great fun.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2019
    Faebert wrote: »
    Tracking this only so I can finish the year. I’m heading in to hospital on Friday for surgery to reduce my risk of breast cancer. Double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction - will be unable to run for around 12 weeks they say. Going to see if I can squeeze in one more run and two gym classes before I go. Maybe 15miles for December - we shall see...

I’m not sure if I will stay on here while I’m recovering. Think I might get too sad about not being able to join in! But, then again, I will have plenty of time on my hands for reading... wish you all a fabulous month x

December total: 6.3m

November total: 44.8m
    October total: 64.1m
    September total: 82.2m
    August total: 85m
    July total: 90.1m
    June total: 86.1m
    May total: 67.6m
    April total: 71.5m
    March total: 42.9m
    February total: 30.2m
    January total: 31.7m

Wow. I can not imagine that!

Some people do hang around while they recover (right @Elise4270 ?) Others fade away. I would encourage you to try and stay. A habit broken is twice as hard to reform I think.

totally agreed. i've fallen off and i've had a very hard time getting back in the habit

glad you're ok @quilteryoyo

i love the gazelle style, i'm a glider too. i wish i was a gazelle. @ContraryMaryMary @PastorVincent
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,699 Member
    Cross training day today. Plan to head to a lower body weight class and if time permits a “healthy back” class at lunch.

@Faebert – Wishing you all the best for your surgery and a speedy recovery! Even if you don’t keep up with this forum, please pop on whenever you can and let us know how you are doing.

@PastorVincent – Hope you didn’t injury your foot too bad!

@quilteryoyo – Glad you weren’t injured! Those deer can wreak so much havoc.

@ContraryMaryMary – That guy’s footing is amazing! I would definitely fall and hurt something!
  • UTMBdreams
    UTMBdreams Posts: 22 Member
    @Elise4270 Thank you for your thoughts and I know you understand the adult kid struggles. But yes, he is still very young at not even 20. Good news is my father-in-law has helped this morning with the DMV and court stuff to get him all paid up and license reinstated. So now he just needs his car fixed and not having to be his transportation will be a huge help. So as long as we can all get along and not yell at each other I think I can get through this!

I took a complete rest day yesterday - didn't even so much as walk my dogs. It's been a long time since I had that sedentary of a day.

So today will be first run of the month and I'll run 2 on the treadmill if all goes as planned. I really need to strength train as well.

WELCOME to the group @christine4695 @dmfaler @coolblackcat (welcome back) @UTMBdreams

Thanks @greenolivetree!
  • PastorVincent
    mbaker566 wrote: »

i love the gazelle style, i'm a glider too. i wish i was a gazelle. @ContraryMaryMary @PastorVincent

IMO:

One is not better than the other.

Gliding is more efficient for long runs. Gazelle is geared more towards shorter faster runs. I actually switch to gazelle when I am doing a hard final kick, a mile race, or etc.

Of course, there are people that can use either to do either, but I am talking about us mere mortals, not the elites. :)
  • UTMBdreams
    UTMBdreams Posts: 22 Member

exercise.png

December Goal: 50 miles

Dec. 3: 2.4 miles
  • PastorVincent

IMO:

Gliding is more efficient for long runs. Gazelle is geared more towards shorter faster runs. I actually switch to gazelle when I am doing a hard final kick, a mile race, or etc.

Of course, there are people that can use either to do either, but I am talking about us mere mortals, not the elites. :)

Yes, there’s a lot to be said for gliding but gazelle is prettier to watch. Now me, I have perfected the nana trot.

Interestingly, when I run I often picture this guy running in my head and my speed picks up by 4-5 seconds without any perceived extra effort. I’m possibly just relaxing and holding my body in a better position, which is enough to increase my stride.

There is a lot that can be said for focus, and that is what you are describing. So it does not surprise me. I personally am always faster when I focus which is why I rarely listen to an audiobook/music/etc in a RACE. Only in training.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

IMO:

Yes, there’s a lot to be said for gliding but gazelle is prettier to watch. Now me, I have perfected the nana trot.

Interestingly, when I run I often picture this guy running in my head and my speed picks up by 4-5 seconds without any perceived extra effort. I’m possibly just relaxing and holding my body in a better position, which is enough to increase my stride.

Is the nana trot like the senior shuffle? I had that one down when my tendon was hurting!