Fitbit - reasons for increase in resting heart rate?

Hi. Should I be concerned? In case pic doesn’t show on 11/11 my RHR was 59. Today it is 69.

The main changes - holiday was stressful - no sleep, slept on couch so back is in pain, different diet, and didn’t hydrate enough. Would this all cause this big a change?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    To answer your questions, yes. Usually an increase in resting HR means that your body is under stress and you need to get better rest. If you're working out hard, you need to back off of working out so hard (perhaps easier cardio that doesn't stress you too much) for a few days. Once that resting HR settles back down, then resume activities.

If you're that concerned, see a doc for a checkup, especially if there's other things going on.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    The main changes - holiday was stressful - no sleep, slept on couch so back is in pain, different diet, and didn’t hydrate enough. Would this all cause this big a change?

I'm surprised it's not a bigger change.

Or you are getting sick
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    How long have you been tracking your heart rate and are you male or female? Mine varies that much every month between ovulation and my period.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Mine will go up that much sometimes just from one day of over-eating plus some (not crazy much) alcohol consumption. All the things you listed are forms of stress. 69 is still within normal range (generically, population values).

I think you'll see it drop again if you get back to a more normal, less stressful routine. I certainly don't think there's a reason to head for the doctor yet, as long as you're otherwise asymptomatic.

Worry is stress, too, right? ;)

Best wishes!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Mine went up after surgery, climbed from low 50s into 67-69 range and stayed there for a couple of months, then as i was feeling better, started going down slowly. Then i fell and reinjured myself, and resting heart rate is up again. So pain definitely factors into this.