Thoughts on only using cables...

... or mostly? Would it be effective for gaining or maintaining? How about general strength?

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    You're always gonna get advised (when it comes to weightlifting anyway), to incorporate compound lifts, especially the main ones like squats, deadlifts, bench and OHP.

However, nothing wrong with using machines and equipment like cables to get your workout in. As long as you're challenging yourself and shifting heavy weight, your strength will increase (being in a caloric surplus helps).

The bit about gaining or maintaining is about your eating habits rather than using cables at the gym.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If you only use cables then if your programming is appropriate you will gain strength doing movements with cables.

General strength is vague and we can't measure by some idea what you mean.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    In my opinion, if you are careful about exercise selection and the cable machine offers sufficient resistance for your exercise selection, then you can accomplish almost everything you could with free weights. At least you can if you have a wide enough variety of cable machines to choose from. And the fact that you get a constant resistance over the full range of motion gives cable machines an advantage over some free weight exercises.

As for strength, that really depends on what you mean by "strength". Do you mean being able to lift heavier weights as time goes by? Then sure you can increase strength, just make sure you're doing a well structured program incorporating progressive overload into your cable-machine workouts.
  • Cables are good as part of a balanced programme depending on yr goals.
  • Swoleisthegoal4311
    Swoleisthegoal4311 Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2019
    Cables are good like everyone is saying some free weights is good for a well rounded workout. The exercises tend to be easier on the joints too. I just started doing cable skull crushers, and I would say I'm gaining just as much strength and size as I was using barbell. Just stay away from machines. Pure evil. Strength gains will definitely come as long as you use proper form and weight. Cables are a big part of my workouts.