Keto?

Is anyone doing the keto diet, and if so, how’s it going for you?

Replies

• Kgomez325
    Kgomez325 Posts: 5 Member
    Yes, I started it on 11/18, but I've only lost 5 lbs. I haven't been 100% consistent though. I imagine my body is still trying to get rid of the glycogen storages. Last time I did this, I lost 30 lbs in about 40 days. If you stay consistent with the diet and exercise, you'll lose weight.
  • Panys_mom
    Panys_mom Posts: 96 Member
    Also I found I had to modify my workouts to help compensate for the lack of carbs.
  • BlackBartBlues
    BlackBartBlues Posts: 5 Member
    This keto diet isnt sustainable. Plus it causes serious health issues. I used to be 365 lbs with 64% body fat last year. Today I am 190 lbs with 20% body fat. I did try keto at first, but people end up eating a lot of processed food like bacon and sausage, egg yolks, butter, cheese etc, which are inflammatory in nature and harmful.

The best diet for weight loss that worked for me is - high protein, high fiber, moderate fats (healthy fats), low sodium, low sugar, low carb. Along with intermittent fasting and good hydration.

You will automatically see your ketone levels go up, when you eat this diet. You dont necessarily have to do keto.

• jakeeroyal86
    jakeeroyal86 Posts: 1 Member
    I have a modified keto diet. Like BlackBartBlues, mine is high protein, moderate fats and low carb. I believe my carb in take is 30-45 per day depending on what I plan on doing in the gym. Cardio will always be a low carb day and then weightlifting will be generally higher bu still below 50. I get most of my carbs from green veggies and eat lean meat like chicken. I have this 1 recipe for baked buffalo chicken tenders that packs 73 grams of protein since I used a ton of chicken. My calorie intake is around 1700-1800 along with moderate fasting 16 fast/ 8 hr eat. Don't stick with a strict keto diet for long, it works but your body needs carbs to burn to function and to workout.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    I did strict keto for about 4 months. I hated how it impacted my performance in the gym.
  • robinlynnettec
    robinlynnettec Posts: 17 Member
    Been on keto since 11/4 i do have a small treat daily such as 1 cookie or mini chocolate candy. I workout 3 to 4 days a week about 2 hours each time. I feel really good since starting and have lost 17 pounds.
  • MGood75
    MGood75 Posts: 1 Member
    It seems your post gained several answers that did not answer your question.

I am 5'6", prior to Keto I was 243 lbs. I had restless sleep, severe acid reflux and indigestion (GERD), that I had to take medication for and my energy level was extremely low.

At the age of 42, in June 2017, I started Keto. I was strict, no alcohol, no sugar, no starches, no bread/pastas, (meal prepping on my days off). I also exercised 3 - 5 times a week, running a few times a week and lifting weights. My exercise goal was to run a 1.5 mile without stopping in 15 minutes and be able to finish weight lifting circuit training sets.

The first two week were rough, its called the Keto Flu, I literally felt like I had the flu and the cravings were horrible. After that it was great, my portions size went down, my cravings were gone, and the inches were dropping rapidly.

A few times I did have a cheat meal or cheat day, an alcoholic beverage, or something high in carbs and/or sugar, which made me feel sluggish, bloated and sometimes nauseous. Which is why I went strict after experiencing the side effects of cheating.

I was 243 lbs, and went down to 178 lbs. Keep in mind that I did lose several pounds in fat, but I also gained several pounds of muscle, due to weight lifting. My shirt size was XXL and went to a large, my waist size went from 40 inches to 32 inches. I no longer had indigestion, bloating, restless sleep and my level of energy was through the roof. I could function off of less sleep.

Eventually my 1.5 mile was under 12 minutes and I was able to run up to 8 miles without stopping. I also was able to complete Crossfit workouts and complete Olympic weight lifting workouts. This took about about 12 months. My doctor informed me that all of my blood work looked great, my ekg was normal, my blood pressure was awesome, meaning that the Dr. said my medical stats would be comparable to a healthy athletic individual.

When I began to sway from the strict keto diet I began to gain the weight back, eventually I went off completely. I am now at 204 lbs and my waist is 36.

In my opinion trying to do keto or any type of change in lifestyle, without a purpose and a goal is futile.

I am starting again with new goals and a commitment to the Keto lifestyle, which my Dr. approves of as long as I consume healthy fats, (Avocados, Avocados oil, Olive oil, Fatty Fish, CERTAIN Nuts and Nut Butter, Chia Seeds and Flaxseed), limiting Cheese, Cream, butter, and avoiding Trans fat and consuming moderate protein.

I read a ton of research about Keto vs other diets, exercise and lifestyle changes, if your interested in learning more, feel free to message me. Good luck!

No two human beings are the same, genetics, age and lifestyle are what make us unique. By not recognizing your individuality, you are creating unnecessary obstacles that hinder your progress.
  • JagaSrik
    JagaSrik Posts: 45 Member
    edited December 2019
    Keto is not for everyone.. if you really want to do, get some genuine certified nutritionalist to analyze you and give out a plan.
    Not all who speaks like they know really knows the subject. One life one body don't experiment with it if you are not a professional.
  • helocat
    helocat Posts: 40 Member
    I did Keto from 2016 to Jan 2017. My body only responded when I realized its still calories and reduced intake AND my body with alcohol = limited to no Ketosis. Once I learned what worked for me I dropped 40lbs. (I was also exercising) However, the load on my kidneys was huge as I was not drinking enough water. Kidney stones showed up and took me to the floor. I had to go off Keto.

I did not transition well to a different diet, I just stopped and gained my 40lbs back. Using Keto for a loss boost I think would work for me again, but I have to have a solid "Lifestyle" change in my food OR I will just go back to square 1.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Please understand this diet is good for short term. Don't do it long term, or it can lead to some serious issues.

Unless of course you're an epileptic, for whom the diet was designed and intended for.

Many people on MFP have had great success with keto, both long- and short-term. Personally I enjoy carbs and am responding well to a higher protein intake, so I will continue with somewhat balanced macro ratios, but if my neuro recommends it I already have a lineup of foods and recipes that will help limit the “bad fats” without feeling too restricted.