Eliminating SUGAR

I am no stranger to tracking and diets. I've only been sucessful at losing weight a few times in my life, and they were all while tracking either calories, or points in weight watchers. What I am inquiring about is the topic of sugar. I am reading a book about why to eliminate it entirely. I'm hoping to hear sucess stories of people who have eliminated it, what the benefits are, etc. Tips and suggestions are much encouraged!

Replies

• AngelZealot
    AngelZealot Posts: 49 Member
    I just want to clarify that I still eat fruit- so I would not be cutting it entirely. Sorry for not being specific.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited December 2019
    I am no stranger to tracking and diets. I've only been sucessful at losing weight a few times in my life, and they were all while tracking either calories, or points in weight watchers. What I am inquiring about is the topic of sugar. I am reading a book about why to eliminate it entirely. I'm hoping to hear sucess stories of people who have eliminated it, what the benefits are, etc. Tips and suggestions are much encouraged!

What's the book?

Recently, for a few weeks I challenged myself to limit my added sugar to the WHO recommendation of no more than 5% of total calories. The first day I just logged. The second day I made changes. The third day and for the next few weeks I was down to @ 5%.

I found it too restrictive for this time of year (and didn't see any benefits) but might try it again next summer once my strawberries start popping.

There are some in the challenge who are doing 0 added sugar: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10769530/30-day-logging-limiting-added-sugar-challenge/p1
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    edited December 2019
    I applaud you for wanting to cutting back on sugar for whatever your reason. I did too.
    Food isn’t bad or good but Yes some foods are “bad for us” including having too much sugar. Yes we can have some sugar. Not all sugars are the same. Here’s about everything you ever wanted to know about sugar. The good, the bad and the ugly.
    https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/sugar/