WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Morning Ladies~ we got out first significant snowfall about 8 inches, I have today and tomorrow off, unless they call me in, but I have things to do so so I shall stay close to home, and I will get out a bit later to take care of the boys.. was supposed to take the boys to the groomers today but will take them next week..
    lots of parties coming up the next couple of weeks so will have to watch what I eat...
    will keep a check on everyone during the day today...
    Haven't heard hide nor hair from Penny , hope is all ok..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Christmas decorations are up!!

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Good morning! 😁
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Lisa & Cheri I am actually encouraged that some day I may be able to make a cheater quilt. Thank you!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Did the Peak 10 Cardio Interval Burn DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water class. Then I’m supposed to help out at a fundraiser. This organization is for people who have learning problems (is that OK to say). They make pottery and for a donation you get a bowl of chili and a piece of pottery. My neighbor is in charge of the volunteers which is how I got involved. Another gal who works with me also volunteers at the Corner Table

Barbara – I’m definitely taking it easy on the exercise. I don’t think I got my heartrate up very high, but at least I did something. I’m almost afraid to get out of the habit of exercising because I know that it’ll be so hard to get back in

Cheri – what is a cheater panel?

I think Vince wants to go get Hallmark ornaments today.

I wonder if you can prebread fish filets and then fry them that day. I'm thinking that if you can prebread them, that will help at Christmas. The lady who is the secretary of our bowling does a lot of catering so I asked her. She said she never tried it, but what she would do is freeze the fish. She said that because it's thin, that it'll defrost as soon as it hits the frypan. So I'm trying it, (I didn't realize that each packet has 2 filets) so I have 4 filets in the refrig and two in the freezer, so I guess we shall see how they come out.

Michele in NC
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,481 Member
    edited December 2019
    Please forgive the long post. Procrastinating ;(P

yesterday: BB&B, recycling, made goat cheese ball, invested 2+ hrs on pc and phone saving over $4K on our Part D insurance and out of pocket costs, took Shadow to vet for last shots and watched recorded dog show with friend. Alas, not AF and she's introduced me to caramel flavored vodka, oh dear!
    Today's plan: Veg prep, try on Land's end, find car key, fudge or cookies for exchange, comb Tumble, Christmas Tree, pack up returns, hair cut, max 1 beer at port o' pints before Christmas chorale.

Yesterday, Joe caught me looking at our TV to see how many of which kind of inputs it has. (Been toying with the notion of a smart TV. When I looked at them at Freddies, the packages listed number of HDMI, USB and sometimes “component” inputs, but no listing of video inputs. We need at least two, one for the DVD player and one for the VCR (!yes!) player/recorder. ) He suggested I look at sound bars, he said they really improve the sound quality and aren't expensive. “But I really don't want a new TV” he said., “I really don't want anything for Christmas!” (yeah right.) “Well,” I said, “I want your time and attention for Chrismas. I want you to take Shadow with Tumble and me to dog group.” “Absolutely NOT!” he almost shouted. “She doesn't need it and neither do I!” Confined myself with difficulty to “I really hope you'll reconsider.” and let it drop. Afraid those magic words won't work this time, but in any case it's not worth fighting about. I'll probably take Shadow on Wednesdays (on pavement), and Tumble on Saturdays (different terrain where I'm less stable).

Lisa WOW! I'm in awe of your creativity, patience and eye/hand coordination. Looked it up on youtube, but the clip I saw seemed to have stitching in a continuous line. How did you make those separate little sections? If I tried something like that the threads, fabric and my fingers would be a snarled and bloody mess. :P
    Welcome Julie from TX, and ((hugs)) for your shocking and sad holiday memories. You have a great attitude of gratitude.
    Carol l was thinking of having salad for breakfast today too... until Joe cooked Grandma Broadbent's sausage... ;)
    NYKaren, Margaret, Allie, Rori and all in snowy icy conditions, be safe!
    Welcome Alice from FL love the “discard” instead of lose. As Irish Terri reminds, we don't want to find those discarded pounds again. :noway:
    Annie in De good flipping!
    Katla :heart: your mean girls insight: “. . .A few of them go through hardships that make them more understanding of others.”
    Janetr love how matter of fact-ly you (pip, Barbie, Heather, KJ and others) refer to your morning's workouts. Never tire of your before and now pics, always give me a lift!
    Pip your first half marathon rated a pic in the paper! Bravissima! Cute kitten pic. That pic of Bullwinkle? Rocky? under the tree brought a tender tear. ((hugs))
    Heather I'm printing out your Christmas To Do list meme and taping it to my mirror... or maybe my laptop ;) Hoping your hard writing work brings some healing. ((hugs))
    Michele “lighter weights” now that's taking it easy... LOL! Can you see what the DVR missed here? .
    Rebecca Oh that Athena Rose! Wish it where a close-er up... ;)
    Karen in VA ((hugs)). Lovely pic of DD and DGD. ((hugs)) for such unimagineable grief.
    Meg Good to hear from you! Count me in on that black hole. Somehow lost my car key somewhere in the house. Sheesh. If I had witnesses, I'd know where the doggoned thing is. ;)
    Pat in OH gotta love those weight lifting DGD's boyfriends ;)
    bugglover 700+ cals for an plant sourced “burger” :noway:
    Machka those white roofs give the illusion of snow in Salamanca place. Lovely!
    Okie I slept through the night last night too, but shouldn't have. Puppy needed to go out. :(
    Yvonne, thanks for the AB brussels sprouts. Made the mistake of getting frozen instead of fresh so simply steamed. Will get fresh for Christmas and sautee as suggested. Sometimes you just need a good cry. ((hugs with kleenex))
    Time to join Janetr, Karen in VA and any other thumbfingered childlike decorators and at least put the LED lights on our mini-Christmas tree. Oops, no, time to find that black hole containing the car key!

Gratitudes Day
    #19 touch: Joe rubbing my sore shoulder yesterday, a loving gift.
    #18 art: Handel's Messiah
    #17 Knowledge: learning how Joe's way of processing information is different from mine, how to communicate non-judgementally and effectively.
    #16 My body: well last night I would have been hard pressed to respond positively or gratefully to this challenge. Have been catching glimpses (shudder) in the mirror, in the morning at T'ai Chi and last night at line dancing. Received my Land's End order in the post, and the first shirt I tried on nearly made me cry. Look so fat! Tried on another and it wasn't quite as bad so wore it to line dancing. Will try on the rest later today and return the ones I really really won't wear. SO time for a flip. I AM grateful for my legs, how they are improving with BB&B, and how I can use them for quality time walking with Joe and the pooches. Like Heather said, grateful for my mobility. As for the rest, like Evelyn said, it's time to take better care of my body, starting with being grateful for it just as it is right now.
    #15 Season: Summer. Used to be autumn, the colors, the smells. Winter too cold, Spring to drizzly. Summer here on the coast is perfect, only 3 days of 90+ degrees and so long as no wild fires, the air is clear.
    #14 sight: my DH's lowered pressure numbers, his glaucoma has stabilized with no immediate need for surgery. Long may he see the ocean from our front room, the dogs playing together at the edge of the woods, the fog through the trees.
    #13 abilities: touch typing ;)
    #12 texture: Tumble's double coat, long straight strong guard hairs undercoated with soft downy fur. Shadow's silky puppy ears.
    #11 holiday: Christmas. The music, the lights, the scent of the Christmas tree, the story, the memories, the taste of egg nog, tom and jerry's, and oh yes... baking, smelling and eating the COOKIES!!!
    #10 taste: today its fresh ice water. After too much wine it really tastes good. ;)
    #9 place: our property, all 15 vertical acres of it, woods, ferns, creeks, mud, brush, critters, peeks at the ocean and the way it smells when I get out of the car. “Home!”
    #8 book: To Build a Land by Sally Watson. Read this children's novel when I was 9. It was about a group of Jewish orphans transported to Israel after WWII. Identifying with one of the characters sparked a life long interest in archeology, Hebrew and ultimatly spurred me to visit the holy land in 1980.
    #7 memory: at holidays Papa told stories about his younger days, during Prohibition and the Depression (but never about WWII). I could repeat them almost word for word but enjoyed them every time. That's one thing I miss about not having family left for holiday get togethers.
    # 6 nature: the forest's scent and the ocean's clamour
    # 5 sound: Joe snoring
    # 4 food: Fage Greek Yoghurt
    # 3 color: blue skies after a gray rainy foggy couple of days.
    # 2 tech: my Win 7 laptop. Dread migrating to something newer/supported.
    # 1 smell: clean, bleached whites while transferring from washer to dryer.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for December: get up and go outside EVERY day!
    daily: steps=3451 vits=1.5 log=2 CI<CO=2 CI<250<CO=0 Tumble 5/10=2 mfp=2 AF=1 outside=0
    wkly: BBBorTC=1/3 rx= dance= pack walk=
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= dog group email lilst= sew= play=
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »

Pip your first half marathon rated a pic in the paper! Bravissima! Cute kitten pic. That pic of Bullwinkle? Rocky? under the tree brought a tender tear. ((hugs))

Gratitudes Day
    #17 Knowledge: learning how Joe's way of processing information is different from mine, how to communicate non-judgementally and effectively.
    #16 My body: well last night I would have been hard pressed to respond positively or gratefully to this challenge. Have been catching glimpses (shudder) in the mirror, in the morning at T'ai Chi and last night at line dancing. Received my Land's End order in the post, and the first shirt I tried on nearly made me cry. Look so fat! Tried on another and it wasn't quite as bad so wore it to line dancing. Will try on the rest later today and return the ones I really really won't wear. SO time for a flip. I AM grateful for my legs, how they are improving with BB&B, and how I can use them for quality time walking with Joe and the pooches. Like Heather said, grateful for my mobility. As for the rest, like Evelyn said, it's time to take better care of my body, starting with being grateful for it just as it is right now.
    #15 Season: Summer. Used to be autumn, the colors, the smells. Winter too cold, Spring to drizzly. Summer here on the coast is perfect, only 3 days of 90+ degrees and so long as no wild fires, the air is clear.
    #14 sight: my DH's lowered pressure numbers, his glaucoma has stabilized with no immediate need for surgery. Long may he see the ocean from our front room, the dogs playing together at the edge of the woods, the fog through the trees.
    #12 texture: Tumble's double coat, long straight strong guard hairs undercoated with soft downy fur. Shadow's silky puppy ears.
    #11 holiday: Christmas. The music, the lights, the scent of the Christmas tree, the story, the memories, the taste of egg nog, tom and jerry's, and oh yes... baking, smelling and eating the COOKIES!!!
    #10 taste: today its fresh ice water. After too much wine it really tastes good. ;)
    #9 place: our property, all 15 vertical acres of it, woods, ferns, creeks, mud, brush, critters, peeks at the ocean and the way it smells when I get out of the car. “Home!”
    #8 book: To Build a Land by Sally Watson. Read this children's novel when I was 9. It was about a group of Jewish orphans transported to Israel after WWII. Identifying with one of the characters sparked a life long interest in archeology, Hebrew and ultimatly spurred me to visit the holy land in 1980.
    #7 memory: at holidays Papa told stories about his younger days, during Prohibition and the Depression (but never about WWII). I could repeat them almost word for word but enjoyed them every time. That's one thing I miss about not having family left for holiday get togethers.
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for December: get up and go outside EVERY day!
    daily: steps=3451 vits=1.5 log=2 CI<CO=2 CI<250<CO=0 Tumble 5/10=2 mfp=2 AF=1 outside=0

that was my bullwinkle under the tree, that's one of my favorites
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Halfway through walking the dogs yesterday morning I reached for my pedometer to see what time it was and realized that I'd left on the dining room table so I redirected Sasha and we went home to get it. I was able to successfully let go of my disappointment at having lost "credit" for about 5,000 steps. In order to get the numbers up, I walked Sasha extra long in the afternoon.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I can so identify with this. I get so distraught when this happens. It baffles my husband that I'm totally upset, he just can't understand the frustration, he says "your body knows" whether the steps/workout are recorded or not . I try to placate myself with that but in all truthfulness I HATE when it happens. You are such an inspiration.

Janetr OKC
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Stomach condition acting up unable to keep stuff down. 11am attempting Gatorade (80cal sugar one) y peanut butter on 1 slice wheat toast.

Not sure what to try later.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Barbara – thanks for the link. It looks like they only have snippets, but I can watch the entire episode in one week. This probably has something to do with it being aired somewhere else.

Amber – feel better.

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Touch - my grand children's hugs. :o:o:o

Been feeling weepy today. I opened my Christmas card list and there was Ros on the top of the list.
    For the newbies, my best friend died this year of a long cancer.
    This time of year we always had a long natter on the phone about our Christmas miseries. It was so good to have someone to empathise with. <3 We totally understood each other. I know exactly what she would say and it would always work out fine in the end. :laugh: RIP Ros. I love you.

I'm in a bit of a state about my trip to Nottingham. Not sleeping.
    My younger son rang me today with a long list of instructions about Christmas. Mainly good and helpful, but I was not in the mood. He has sorted all my presents for the kids and DDIL, and is bringing some contributions to the feast. ;) All well meant. <3 The main thing is Bea is coming to play with DH on Friday while I am away (making ginger biscuits) and we are going to look after them on Sunday morning while he and DDIL go for a long bike ride. Then a pizza lunch. :D:D<3

Off to Swing Dancing now.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »

yesterday: BB&B, recycling, made goat cheese ball, invested 2+ hrs on pc and phone saving over $4K on our Part D insurance and out of pocket costs, took Shadow to vet for last shots and watched recorded dog show with friend. Alas, not AF and she's introduced me to caramel flavored vodka, oh dear!
    Today's plan: Veg prep, try on Land's end, find car key, fudge or cookies for exchange, comb Tumble, Christmas Tree, pack up returns, hair cut, max 1 beer at port o' pints before Christmas chorale.

Yesterday, Joe caught me looking at our TV to see how many of which kind of inputs it has. (Been toying with the notion of a smart TV. When I looked at them at Freddies, the packages listed number of HDMI, USB and sometimes “component” inputs, but no listing of video inputs. We need at least two, one for the DVD player and one for the VCR (!yes!) player/recorder. ) He suggested I look at sound bars, he said they really improve the sound quality and aren't expensive. “But I really don't want a new TV” he said., “I really don't want anything for Christmas!” (yeah right.) “Well,” I said, “I want your time and attention for Chrismas. I want you to take Shadow with Tumble and me to dog group.” “Absolutely NOT!” he almost shouted. “She doesn't need it and neither do I!” Confined myself with difficulty to “I really hope you'll reconsider.” and let it drop. Afraid those magic words won't work this time, but in any case it's not worth fighting about. I'll probably take Shadow on Wednesdays (on pavement), and Tumble on Saturdays (different terrain where I'm less stable).

Lisa WOW! I'm in awe of your creativity, patience and eye/hand coordination. Looked it up on youtube, but the clip I saw seemed to have stitching in a continuous line. How did you make those separate little sections? If I tried something like that the threads, fabric and my fingers would be a snarled and bloody mess. :P
    Welcome Julie from TX, and ((hugs)) for your shocking and sad holiday memories. You have a great attitude of gratitude.
    Carol l was thinking of having salad for breakfast today too... until Joe cooked Grandma Broadbent's sausage... ;)
    NYKaren, Margaret, Allie, Rori and all in snowy icy conditions, be safe!
    Welcome Alice from FL love the “discard” instead of lose. As Irish Terri reminds, we don't want to find those discarded pounds again. :noway:
    Annie in De good flipping!
    Katla :heart: your mean girls insight: “. . .A few of them go through hardships that make them more understanding of others.”
    Janetr love how matter of fact-ly you (pip, Barbie, Heather, KJ and others) refer to your morning's workouts. Never tire of your before and now pics, always give me a lift!
    Heather I'm printing out your Christmas To Do list meme and taping it to my mirror... or maybe my laptop ;) Hoping your hard writing work brings some healing. ((hugs))
    Michele “lighter weights” now that's taking it easy... LOL! Can you see what the DVR missed here? .
    Rebecca Oh that Athena Rose! Wish it where a close-er up... ;)
    Karen in VA ((hugs)). Lovely pic of DD and DGD. ((hugs)) for such unimagineable grief.
    Meg Good to hear from you! Count me in on that black hole. Somehow lost my car key somewhere in the house. Sheesh. If I had witnesses, I'd know where the doggoned thing is. ;)
    Pat in OH gotta love those weight lifting DGD's boyfriends ;)
    bugglover 700+ cals for an plant sourced “burger” :noway:
    Machka those white roofs give the illusion of snow in Salamanca place. Lovely!
    Okie I slept through the night last night too, but shouldn't have. Puppy needed to go out. :(
    Yvonne, thanks for the AB brussels sprouts. Made the mistake of getting frozen instead of fresh so simply steamed. Will get fresh for Christmas and sautee as suggested. Sometimes you just need a good cry. ((hugs with kleenex))
    Time to join Janetr, Karen in VA and any other thumbfingered childlike decorators and at least put the LED lights on our mini-Christmas tree. Oops, no, time to find that black hole containing the car key!

Gratitudes Day
    Lighter, lovelies!

Barbara- hey if you have a fire tablet you just scroll it bigger! 💖
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    kmhnna37ws1o.jpeg
    Floyd,
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Michele- Thanks . The winter phlegm upsets my stomach a lot then eating diet foods yeah mix for upset tummy sometimes. Too much orange juice y veggies then bam drainage . Gets me every year since birth.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2019
    Rebecca: Athena with Santa is a priceless photo that brings back great memories. I remember many times waiting in line to sit on Santa’s lap as a child, and later taking my own two when they were old enough. The Santa at Meier & Franks in downtown Portland was the best, ever. That was the place where we took our kids. Macy’s sold that building and donated the Santa artifacts, such as Santa’s chair and overhead train, to the Oregon Historical Society. Our kids were convinced he was “the real deal” and so was I. He greeted each child by their own name. Great memories. :heart:

Karen: Lovely photo of Lilliana and Mommy. :star:

Pip: Love your dog photos with the lighted tree. They make me happy. :heart:

(((Amber))) I hope you’re feeling better soon. I take my tummy-ache advice from Peter Rabbit's mom—Chamomile Tea helps. So does Peppermint Tea. Little sips. When the tea stays down, try little meals of easy to digest food. Chicken soup is on the list of helpers.:heart:

I had yoga this morning and enjoyed every minute. DH has yoga this afternoon. I hope he’ll go. The exercise is good for him and so are the people in the class.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • csofled
    🙋
  • csofled
    exermom wrote: »
    Cheri – what is a cheater panel?
    Michele in NC

Here is a definition

"A cheater cloth is a lovely fabric that appears to be pieced together as a traditional quilt top, but is actually a printed pattern. This solid piece of fabric is a fast and friendly quilting shortcut that allows the quilter to skip the process of cutting and piecing a quilt top together. It's ready to be basted and quilted!"

Lots of quilters will then add their own borders or additional quilting borders to this piece of fabric to complete the quilt top!

Cheri