Goal number increases

chrisfitness1880
chrisfitness1880 Posts: 4 Member
edited December 2019 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
When I enter exercise workouts then the goal number for carbs/pro/ fat etc increases ! can anyone tell me why??

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    When I enter exercise workouts then the goal number for carbs/pro/ fat etc increases ! can anyone tell me why??

MFP is a NEAT system meaning that the calorie goal does not include intentional exercise. When you add exercise it gives you more calories to eat to properly fuel it. Since exercise numbers can be inflated it is generally advised that you start by eating half of the amount it gives you back and then evaluate your progress in about 6 weeks to see if you need to adjust it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Exercise isn't accounted for in your activity level if you have set your profile up as MFP intends. It is unaccounted for activity...the more active you are, the more energy (calories) your body requires. You account for exercise with MFP after the fact when you log it and get additional calories to account for that activity. Since your calories increase, so must your macros since your calories are comprised of your macros.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Your base daily goal is for a non exercise day only - when you exercise you burn more and your goal goes up to keep your calorie balance the same.

MyFitnessPal is trying to teach the life lesson that the more you do the more you get to eat (and vice versa of course).

Did you realise the part in your personal goal set up that asked you your activity level made no mention of exercise.
    The exercise goal in the setup is purely aspirational and has no impact on your calories.

Macros changing in line with calorie goal uplift isn't that helpful if you happen to be working to macro goals in grams rather than percentages. Personally I just kept in mind my protein and fat gram targets and regarded them as a minimum not a restriction.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Another way of looking at it: When you log exercise, you do that so you add calories to fuel that exercise, right?

Calories have to come from somewhere, either protein, fats, carbs . . . or alcohol. ;)

MFP assumes you want your added calories to come from (proportionally) the same macros as your base calorie goal is set to come from. You don't have to stick to that, if you don't want to. If you end up with a mix of red and green totals as a result, just pretend it's Christmas. ;):lol::drinker: