13»

Replies

• DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited October 2017
    TeaBea wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Don't eat if you're not hungry :)

I set a range for myself each day. (1,000 - 1,200). Some nights I have to add something else to get to that 1,000... some nights I have to say no to something to stay at 1,200.

Why are you eating so little?

I'm short and work in an office. I can't lose weight if I eat more than that.

ETA which is annoying because I work 9 hours a day at an office and then leave straight from there to go teach dance for several hours. You'd think I'd be able to eat more and lose weight since at least one of my jobs is active -_-

Have you actually tried eating more for any length of time?

Yes but I'm not willing to do so right now because this is actually working and I don't want to gain the weight back that I've lost.

Gaining weight requires a calorie surplus. That's eating more than your maintenance.....not eating more than 1,100 calories.

Seriously if you are gaining at 1300 calories you are eating more than you think. Either that or you are something like 4'8" tall.

I'm 5'4 lol based on the TDEE calculator from the IIFYM website mine is 1660... so if I stick to 1,200 I should be able to lose more than/around 1.5 pounds per week. Which I'm not. Still losing at ~.5 per week. I should add that I eat more than that on Saturdays usually. I don't really track that strictly on Saturday but i know i'm not eating my entire week's deficit! Even if I ate 1,000 calories more on Saturday than the rest of the week I should still be able to lose.

I understand the math behind it. I don't know what else to do. If I workout in the morning before work to increase my calories I'll be getting like 6 hours of sleep most nights.

Sorry, OP.. didn't meant to hijack your thread lol
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I set a range for myself each day. (1,000 - 1,200). Some nights I have to add something else to get to that 1,000... some nights I have to say no to something to stay at 1,200.

ETA which is annoying because I work 9 hours a day at an office and then leave straight from there to go teach dance for several hours. You'd think I'd be able to eat more and lose weight since at least one of my jobs is active -_-

Yes but I'm not willing to do so right now because this is actually working and I don't want to gain the weight back that I've lost.

Over the summer when I wasn't teaching I was able to go to the gym and then I would eat more like 1,350-1,500 and still lose weight.

So you know you can eat more and lose weight, but you don't want to... seems a little strange. Isn't your health important to you?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    glubben wrote: »
    I have been hitting my calorie goals, the problem is I have to eat even though I'm not hungry to do so. what I'm asking is: To the people who have done intermittent fasting successfully, Do you eat to meet your calorie goals or do you just eat till you are full?

I eat till I am full. Sometimes this means I eat over, sometimes under. Most weeks overall I meet my total calorie goal without trying too hard. If I have leftover calories I have the perfect excuse for a glass of wine, and as this is a lifestyle for me and not a diet, I will indulge in some wine and even some dark chocolate.

• DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member

Gaining weight requires a calorie surplus. That's eating more than your maintenance.....not eating more than 1,100 calories.

Seriously if you are gaining at 1300 calories you are eating more than you think. Either that or you are something like 4'8" tall.

I'm 5'4 lol based on the TDEE calculator from the IIFYM website mine is 1660... so if I stick to 1,200 I should be able to more than/around 1.5 pounds per week. Which I'm not. Still losing at ~.5 per week.

No - if your TDEE is 1660 a 1.5 pound a week goal (too high for you) would be 1660 - 750 calories......or 910 calories a day.

1200 calories a day is a 460 calorie a day deficit.....less than 1 pound a week. 3500/460=7.6 days

1200 is a default minimum (for women) to help you meet nutritional guidelines.

You're right, I re-did my math, the 3,500 would've been for one pound. 1.5 was the rate I was losing at over the summer.
  • kmwharto
    kmwharto Posts: 2 Member
    No i almost never did and i only ate to break my fast, then i jumped back into it. I fasted in the beginning for 24-16 hrs every other day, i was losing 1 lb a day. Then i increased it to 36-24 everyday, i lost 1.5 lbs a day.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    kmwharto wrote: »
    No i almost never did and i only ate to break my fast, then i jumped back into it. I fasted in the beginning for 24-16 hrs every other day, i was losing 1 lb a day. Then i increased it to 36-24 everyday, i lost 1.5 lbs a day.

And what was your calorie intake on the days you did eat?
  • Nimbkar
    Nimbkar Posts: 67 Member
    Try eating ONLY 2 meals per day.The idea being that if glucose is not readily available, the insulin in your body will process the stored fat. The concept is not very different from IF except the key idea is not to eat less but rather fewer times in the day. Just try this for few weeks! There is a lot of science behind , if interested look up Dr. Dixit's effortless weight loss plan.
  • snapshotstacy
    snapshotstacy Posts: 23 Member
    I do IF - I was having a hard time getting in my calories above 1100 or so most "average" days on a 16:8 (2 meals a day, no snacks) so I switched to a 5:2 schedule. (Which I've been told works better for women anyway - but :shrug:)

MFP set my loss calories around 1800, but I usually eat ~1400-1600/day on my eat days & ~600 on my fast days. I lose approx 0.5-1 pound a week doing this.

Some days are close to 2k calories (occasionally higher if I'm having a giant snacky-splurge day), but as long as it's not too often, it doesn't effect my downward weight trend.