After dinner hunger

Does anyone else get really hungry between end of dinner and bed? What do you do about it?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    Go to bed earlier.

Save a couple hundred calories and have some cottage cheese with peaches or a smoothie with Greek yogurt and fruit and nuts.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Some of it is habit. Toughing out a few evenings in a row may help.

BTW: We are assuming you have a reasonable eating plan. Your deficit shouldn't be more than 25% of TDEE and it's fine if it's less. (i.e., what's the hurry?)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I have dinner and second dinner. I eat half my dinner calories at normal dinner time (around 6pm) and then the other half before I get ready for bed (around 9pm). I can't stand to go to be on an empty stomach.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Eat later, make sure to have a filling dinner, save some calories for a snack, or just tough it out.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    The easiest thing is to just leave more calories for a late night snack. I normally have at least 2 dinners. Sometimes 3.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    Either save room for a snack, eat a bigger dinner, or tough it out. If I eat after dinner I make sure it's something filling like Greek yogurt with a baked apple. If I'm hungry but it's more emotional I brush my teeth and make a big mug of herbal tea. I usually drink some sort of bedtime tea to unwind right before bed and that's part of my nighttime relaxation, I stop thinking of eating (or at least don't) at that point.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Some of it is habit. Toughing out a few evenings in a row may help.

BTW: We are assuming you have a reasonable eating plan. Your deficit shouldn't be more than 25% of TDEE and it's fine if it's less. (i.e., what's the hurry?)

Yup--first thing to check is whether or not your deficit, if you are in a deficit, is reasonable for your stats.

The second thing to check is whether you may be low on protein, fat, and/or fiber. These things are all important for health, plus many people find one or more of them satiating.

It might also be a psychological thing if your brain is just used to a snack and isn't satisfied without one. In that case, you can either try to break the habit or just budget some calories for your snack. After all, there is no inherent problem with eating after dinner unless it makes it hard for you to sleep/causes other health problems like acid reflux, or if it puts you over your calorie goal.
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    I use a protein bar or shake with fiber a couple hours after dinner and it fills a hunger before a later bedtime. Sometimes grape tomatoes with some jarred peppers. Almost no calories but watch the sodium on jars of anything. Great filling snack. Other veggie snacks are good and finer is satiating. Good luck!
  • joyfait
    joyfait Posts: 6 Member
    I need to get myself having veggie, protein or fruit snacks only after dinner...it’s getting ridiculous. It’s been popcorn, oranges and mug cake recently added to my full dinner....