Vanity Sizing

I just read this .. " With vanity sizing, the inseam size on pants are fairly accurate, but when it comes to the waist, all bets are off. Designers skillfully size their pants to boost your ego, causing a rise in your attitude toward their brand and enticing you to buy more. This ends up leaving the consumer with a skewed perception about not only the size of their pants but also their bodies.

This trend has become rampant in the U.S. as well as the U.K., which are both in the top 5 countries with the most obesity according to Reuters. So, all those times you thought you were maintaining your slim college waistline or maybe even reducing to a better self, there may be a chance your pants’ true size has just been growing with you. Vanity sizing has put us all on an unsolicited “fashion diet” that many of us were not aware of . Though we are familiar of the woes of body image with women and how difficult it is to find the proper fit in women’s jeans, the less observed men’s body issues have actually grown more with recent times. This is evident by the new emphasis on men’s fashion and grooming, both industries that are on the rise, as well as the new “fitspo” revolution. Living up to the ideal can be arduous, but retailers have found an outlet to indulge men through tweaking sizes.

This has had an interesting effect on online retailers. Since you are not able to try on the multiple sizes it takes to find the one that fits just right, ordering pants online is quite risky with a high chance of return. Though most sites provide a sizing guide, this guide usually also leaves out any actual true measurements to reference. Instead of reverting back to true-sizing, online stores have accommodated. Bonobos, a men’s online-only retailer, have recently opened physical stores called Guideshops that don’t sell any product but allow you to try on their online products in person to find that elusive perfect fit.

Now, as you attempt to find your fit within the sea of vanity sizing, you can feel slightly less burdened with confusion and second-guessing. We are simply at the mercy of these skewed size labels and if anything, you can go forth with an accurate depiction of your body size based on measurements."

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    One problem with online size charts is that most companies provide one chart that is used for all garments/styles. But different styles fit differently and are likely made by different 3rd party contractors. So one chart doesn’t fit all. The same size can be too tight in one style snd too big in another. A few companies will give you the actual garment measurements. As long as you are aware that garment measurements and body measurements are not the same, it can be a useful guide to help evaluate which size might work best for you.
  • mikebxb
    mikebxb Posts: 138 Member
    Now that I'm MFP'ing and trying to get back to a leaner me. (Belly Be Gone) I'm measuring everything. heh. Would like to get back into my 34" Wranglers from my 36". When I measured my waist for this program I researched the difference. For instance I wear a 36" pant but my belt would be a 42 maybe.. clothes size can be deceiving. Most women probably already know this but I'm new to the game
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    That's why I didn't believe I was a size 16 again until I fit into that skirt I bought in the 90s.

Which was at a considerably slimmer size than when I fit into a 16 jeans.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    That's why I didn't believe I was a size 16 again until I fit into that skirt I bought in the 90s.

Exactly this. Size 12 is bigger now at age 68 than it was in my 20’s. I weigh 30 pounds more now and wear size 10 jeans.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Terytha wrote: »

Exactly this. Size 12 is bigger now at age 68 than it was in my 20’s. I weigh 30 pounds more now and wear size 10 jeans.

For anyone curious, here's a chart of how standard sizing has changed (see standard sizing, not pattern sizing). A US 0 today is the equivalent of a 2 in the 90's, a 8 in the 70's, and a 10 in the 50's. What's interesting to note is that the smallest size hasn't changed much in measurements, it's just the numbers have shifted down. So, the smallest size in the 50's was an 8.
  • NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    I'm curious.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    NewOR2015 wrote: »
    I'm curious.

Oh, I forgot to link it! Good catch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanity_sizing
  • NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Thanks.
    Wow! So I can go down a few sizes without even losing weight!
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    This topic drives me crazy. I am just going to leave this here. Maybe someone will actually read it.

https://fashion-incubator.com/the_myth_of_vanity_sizing/
  • mikebxb
    mikebxb Posts: 138 Member
    cbihatt wrote: »
    This topic drives me crazy. I am just going to leave this here. Maybe someone will actually read it.

That's all well & good. Call it what you like but my waist measures 43" but I wear a 35 or 36 waist in Jeans of differing brands. but.... my belts are size 44..

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited December 2019

I read it, and agree that every body is different and unique.
    However, sizes are bigger now than they were when I was 20. I have size 12 clothes from then that are tight fit, vs the size 10, I currently wear @ 30 pounds heavier at age 68. Fact. Vanity sizing is real. Does it make me feel better about myself? Yes. Should it? No.

BTW, same sizes, by different manufacturers, have differed for as long as I’ve been purchasing my clothes, a very long time. Just saying.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member

I don't agree. I think vanity sizing is definitely a thing. Since losing weight, I've been buying dresses made by Cue (https://www.cue.cc/) . I wear a size 10. When I have bought second hand Cue dresses online from a while back, they don't fit - so the former Cue size 10 is now what a Cue size 6 or 8 is ...