Intermittent fasting / chest pain / emergency room

bishopjulia
bishopjulia Posts: 205 Member
edited December 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Yesturday I was going about my day, 10 days into 16:8 fasting ... and Bam 💥 I’m struck with severe chest pains, wobbly vision, sweating and dizziness. The attack lasted about 7 min, followed by Dizziness and exhaustion that lasted roughly 30 min. Ended up in Emergency with ECGs xrays and Blood work. Besides WB being elevated everything else came back normal.This happened prior about a month ago while I was fasting. Could it be related? Now My mother has arrhythmia and it started in her late 30s. Doc wants me to wear a heart monitor. Has anyone else experienced this during fasting?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    what is your calories for the 16:8 fasting?
  • bishopjulia
    Get the monitor, pronto. Also suggest you knock off the fasting until after the results are in, even though your current 16:8 pattern isn't really a big deal, longer periods could be.

What did the doctors at the ER say it could be? Has you own doctor offered any insights?

Take care of yourself!

At this point he’s not sure what it was or could be. The heart monitor should give more insight into what’s going on. Blood work came back normal except for White blood cells slightly elevated. I guess I’ll find out.. or flat line lol jk. For now I’ll have to put IMF on hold. Just follow my calories and stay away from sugar.

• bishopjulia
    Was 16:8 as well as 20:4 on days too. Following 1500 cal.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Don’t forget to ask for an upper gi endoscopy. sometimes esophagus problems are misdiagnosed as heart problems and vice versa.
  • bishopjulia
    heybales wrote: »

Since IF is merely a way to perhaps make it easier to reduce calories and not feel like it so much - that 1500 could be reasonable, or if you burned over 2500 and only have say 10 lbs of fat left it could be very unreasonable.

How big has your deficit been?
    What kind of workouts?
    Is 1500 the MFP base for no exercise, and then you correctly eat more when you do more like exercise?

With regard to avoiding sugar - you mean like Keto level - no fruits, grains, few vegetables high in carbs?
    Or literally just like added sugars perhaps?

Do a few things wrong and you can certainly stress out your body enough and discover an underlying condition that may never have reared it's ugly head.

I can’t even remember how big my deficit is lol been so long that I’ve been trying to stay 1500 or below.

As for workouts I have a very faced paced job working at a care home, working over full time hours. Don’t get exercise in everyday but when I do it’s light and on the treadmill with no extra calories added.

By no sugar. I mean staying away from sweets, chocolate , cakes stuff like that. I try to limit my starches , and eat only protein and veg for dinner with a fat. Occasionally throw in a piece of Rye bread and a night cap. So is life.
  • bishopjulia
    lois1231 wrote: »
    Don’t forget to ask for an upper gi endoscopy. sometimes esophagus problems are misdiagnosed as heart problems and vice versa.

This is also what might be the culprit. Each time before this attack I got weird burning pain in my upper stomach
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    i think you might also be suffering from anxiety.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    heybales wrote: »

Since IF is merely a way to perhaps make it easier to reduce calories and not feel like it so much - that 1500 could be reasonable, or if you burned over 2500 and only have say 10 lbs of fat left it could be very unreasonable.

How big has your deficit been?
    What kind of workouts?
    Is 1500 the MFP base for no exercise, and then you correctly eat more when you do more like exercise?

With regard to avoiding sugar - you mean like Keto level - no fruits, grains, few vegetables high in carbs?
    Or literally just like added sugars perhaps?

Do a few things wrong and you can certainly stress out your body enough and discover an underlying condition that may never have reared it's ugly head.

I can’t even remember how big my deficit is lol been so long that I’ve been trying to stay 1500 or below.

As for workouts I have a very faced paced job working at a care home, working over full time hours. Don’t get exercise in everyday but when I do it’s light and on the treadmill with no extra calories added.

By no sugar. I mean staying away from sweets, chocolate , cakes stuff like that. I try to limit my starches , and eat only protein and veg for dinner with a fat. Occasionally throw in a piece of Rye bread and a night cap. So is life.

Was that base calories from telling MFP an incorrect Sedentary setting?

The more stress your body receives from all fronts - the more you need to control what you can.

The extra stress from a diet (it is a stress to some level, one would hope a level that doesn't cause negative side effects) may be the only one you can control - and therefore may need to purposely be set not so stressful.
    Same as someone with a disease the body is already dealing with, or insomnia, healing from injury, ect.
  • bishopjulia
    edited December 2019
    idioblast wrote: »
    OP, in a recent post you stated you were trying to eat below 1200, eating OMAD, and had a recent day of under 850 cals. That's not quite eating 1500 cals a day, and you should probably tell your doctor this information.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10774607/gaining-on-imf#latest
    Yes some days I am eating Omad or 20:4 , some days it’s 1200 some days it’s 1500. I can give you my password for MFP if you are wanting to read my food Diary. The point I’m saying is chest pain while doing IMF. And I most definitely told the doctor these things.

If you read what I wrote above I said 1500 or Below. If your getting technical
  • bishopjulia
    edited December 2019
    idioblast wrote: »
    OP, in a recent post you stated you were trying to eat below 1200, eating OMAD, and had a recent day of under 850 cals. That's not quite eating 1500 cals a day, and you should probably tell your doctor this information.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10774607/gaining-on-imf#latest
    Yes some days I am eating Omad or 20:4 , some days it’s 1200 some days it’s 1500. I can give you my password for MFP if you are wanting to read my food Diary. The point I’m saying is chest pain while doing IMF. And I most definitely told the doctor these things.

Do not give out your mfp password, just open up your diary!

Settings> Diary Settings> Scroll all the way down to Diary Sharing and select Public

Obviously not going to do that. Lol give out my password that is
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    lois1231 wrote: »

My mom just had this