Do you accept that you'll have to log for the rest of your life(or atleast the foreseeable future)?

Replies

• Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Vailara wrote: »
    No, I don't think it's necessary to log forever, but it's necessary (for me, at least!) to do something. I've tried various methods and generally prefer non-logging methods of calorie control. I think this is just a personal preference. I find MFP has become more and more cumbersome, particularly if you don't tend to eat the same things from day to day.

Would you be more specific about non-logging methods of calorie control? I’ve been maintaining for seven months, and I would really like to try to get away from weighing and measuring every little thing.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited October 2019
    Jubee13 wrote: »
    Vailara wrote: »
    No, I don't think it's necessary to log forever, but it's necessary (for me, at least!) to do something. I've tried various methods and generally prefer non-logging methods of calorie control. I think this is just a personal preference. I find MFP has become more and more cumbersome, particularly if you don't tend to eat the same things from day to day.

Would you be more specific about non-logging methods of calorie control? I’ve been maintaining for seven months, and I would really like to try to get away from weighing and measuring every little thing.

I could go on forever, as I've been maintaining for a good few years now and have tried all sorts! I've found keeping to meal times can be helpful, along with portion control. I've done three meals a day, two meals a day, one meal a day, and sometimes no meals (intermittent fasting) - all work, as long as I'm aware that if I'm having more meals they have to be smaller. Restricting eating to mainly meal times does seem to help me, as I'm always tempted to snack, and even healthy snacks can add up.

I have tried other methods (e.g. changing what I eat, rather than the timing and size - low carb, for instance), but I think restricting eating times and portion size is probably the easiest to live with, and seems to work (I do try to eat mainly healthy food with plenty of veg). I also weigh every day, even though I know everybody tells you not to!, but for me it's a reminder that I have to keep control of my weight, and I can track trends and see when I need to curb my eating more. As I said, I do need to do something if I'm not logging - I can't just "eat healthily" and expect not to gain. Funnily enough, I've just started logging again, as I like to do every now and then - like the scales, it's just a reminder to myself of how much I'm eating.

I think there is a focus on logging calories on MFP, because people whom logging suits are bound to be over-represented amongst MFP members! But there are other ways, if logging doesn't suit :) .

• CynthiaMargiotta
    CynthiaMargiotta Posts: 15 Member
    I went on the low carb -Keto diet Jan 2017 lost 40 lbs. Logging is just part of my life now. I have a tenancy to over eat. I have started to look at how im doing with my nutrients over the past week as apposed to just one day now. Im so glad they have that in there. I feel a little less obsessed but I log daily.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I'm logging again right now, but I've gone long periods without logging, and I probably will stop logging again next year sometime. I mostly just have to watch my carbs to maintain. I don't mean Keto, and I'm not even sure you could say low carb, but so long as I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, get my protein in, keep treats to a minimum, keep exercising and step on the scales daily still, I don't need to log. I know when I've overdone it, technically I shouldn't need the scales, but I'm a bit too good at pretending/ignoring...the scales keep me honest. Visiting this forum even though I'm not logging helps too.
  • kgonsman1
    kgonsman1 Posts: 8 Member
    I haven't come to this conclusion YET. I absolutely HATE tracking and resisted it (AGAIN) until recently ....
  • azbearme
    azbearme Posts: 12 Member
    I've learned that I need to log, for life. When I stop logging my mindset changes and weight creeps back. And then I let it and say, I'm ok at this age at this weight. And then my clothes don't fit and finally I say, why did I let myself go? I know what I need to do, just do it. So I'm going to commit to being a lifetime logger!
  • whitneybex
    whitneybex Posts: 15 Member
    I really don't mind logging every day, and synching with my Fitbit. I reached my goal weight almost 4 years ago, and never gain more than a 3-4 pounds (total lost is 28lbs). I think walking a lot and currently not drinking alcohol for October means I can eat around 2300 calories a day.
  • twshepherd12
    twshepherd12 Posts: 2 Member
    I think I will keep on tracking for as long as I can because during my weight loss phase each time I stopped for a few days my eating got out of hand, I think tracking helps me set things straight for that day, to see what I am eating actually keeps me on track and now I am in maintanence phase which is much longer term then my weight loss phase, playing around with different foods will be critical as I don't think eating the same menu for the rest of my life is viable, this would lead me to eat different foods due to craving something different at any given time and if left unchecked might lead to weight gains. For the most part I do enjoy working out the different combinations of Foods that reach targets ect... macros and fibre. So I tend to see tracking as more of an investment towards my health rather then a chore, a few minutes a day we'll spent.
  • Darren225g
    Darren225g Posts: 214 Member
    I don't mind to be honest. I've been doing it for such a long time that it's just natural to me now.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    There are many ways to monitor weight, including weigh-ins or just the way our clothes fit or the way we look.

But I love numbers and like the record, especially since I'm trying to boost my veg and fruit intake and have to limit certain foods for allergy/intolerance reasons. Also allergies mean I do better with more variety and the log makes it easy to see how that goal is doing. Helpful to monitor weekly averages for protein and fiber also. So it's not really just about calories.

I actually set my budget long ago at my proper weight, so didn't even have to even bother readjusting as the weight came down. If I meet my budget on the average over a week's time (up and down doesn't matter, my schedule is irregular), then no need to find the scale in the clutter either.

A food scale set in grams is handy for me because I often just want a small amount of something (grapes or berries, sliced or sectioned frozen fruit, nuts, seeds, junky kid cereal, popcorn, chips,
    carrots, sliced cucumber, etc.) and weighing is the quickest way to estimate how much. I use it to repackage things into my usual portions also. So my entries are usually in grams.

I keep track of other things in my log (LoseIt for me, I use MFP for reading and exercise records), including symptoms that may or may not be diet related, supplements and medications.

I even have a custom food called Counting Noses with four entries for the two cats: In and Out for each. Time indicated as serving size. This after too many times coming downstairs to a panicked meowing at the door when I thought a cat was inside but she wasn't:
    "Where were you?!? I could have frozen to death!!!" (at 50 degrees F with a cozy carport for shelter)
    "I could have been eaten by predators!" (in a yard with catproofed fencing)
  • fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    I'm not that far into my life style change, but I've already accepted the fact that I may be logging my food for the rest of my life. If I'm so lucky as to be able to recognize portions without weighing...maybe not. For now it does not take that much time or is not a huge inconvenience. In fact, I think this allows me to make better choices.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,230 Member
    I have been away from Tracking on WW for a couple weeks. Lost 1.2 this week so I’m OK BUT if I go up I know Tracking is essential to maintain at/below GW.