Major stress is getting me down, eating bad and not in the gym (lost job) - need support.

Options
Three weeks ago I found out I was losing my job (I make too much money and am being forced out essentially). This is from my best friend. I am coming to terms with it but my eating and lack of lack of exercise is really bad right now. I just bought a fitbit and need support buddies to kick me back into healthy habits. I have put on 5 pounds in three weeks. I need to lose 10 total but more importantly, I need regular exercise and better meal planning.

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your job loss. ): Just know that it doesn't reflect on you as a person and that the best thing you can do is take care of yourself. We have tons of instability right now at work and it can really mess with your mind.
  • heartworth9
    heartworth9 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your job loss. ): Just know that it doesn't reflect on you as a person and that the best thing you can do is take care of yourself. We have tons of instability right now at work and it can really mess with your mind.

Indeed. I have had two night mares which tells me that as much as my conscious mind keeps working with re-framing this, that on a subconscious level, all hell is breaking loose. In the end, it comes down to aging, being left behind or ditched. I keep working with the image of a beautiful gate opening with endless opportunity.

I am going to the gym this morning and will report back. The first step is always the hardest.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    Options
    It's a brutal place, the work world, these days. I know that I have many family members who are 50+ and finding themselves squeezed out. They're basically redundant. It's no reflection of their skills, just the fact that companies can find and hire younger and cheaper people. This is a good time to focus on your health. The stress alone can do so much harm. You'll feel better physically, and maybe by getting into a good routine, you'll feel good mentally, once you have the feeling of control.

You're not alone, but it still sucks. I hope your workout felt good. Remember that motivation usually has no bearing on how your workout will go, so even if you aren't "feeling it" at the time, GO! Lots of support in this community :heart:
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I don’t feel redundant, I feel at the height of my game. I’m a Licensed Acupuncturist and always learning. I went to the gym tonight and did 60 minutes on the elliptical. Felt good and just getting there was enough tonight. Thanks for the support.

Way to go on heading back to the gym, what a great way to take charge of your health! An hour's more than just getting there, you slayed it!
  • jenferbar
    jenferbar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been there too...let go at work, and gained weight as I cancelled WW, which was subsidized by my insurance...also lost. It is great you are turning things around within a month...I am just getting in gear after 3 months out. (Awaiting an offer letter...was supposed to come today, but haven't gotten it yet.)
  • TrueGrit732
    TrueGrit732 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your job loss. I often use stress as an excuse to eat poorly but it should really be a reason to focus on my health. I hope everything works out for you..feel free to add.
  • MitchellPayne29
    MitchellPayne29 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yep...maybe take a minute reset. worry about what you can control, maybe use finding another job as an opportunity to exercise. Like walking everywhere😉
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    The great thing about fitness and weight. It is something we CAN control. We can't control the economy, workforce...and mindset of a company that's making cuts for financial reasons.

It is life taking you in a better direction ..
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your job loss. I often use stress as an excuse to eat poorly but it should really be a reason to focus on my health.

This is so true! I've put back on some weight due to stress eating and feeling like I don't have time to exercise.

OP, on a positive note, you now have more time to meal plan and to exercise/achieve your fitness goals. Good luck with your job search! 😃