6 weeks to better arms? Have you had success?

I have now lost 15lbs with little to no exercise and want to start some weights and cardio.
In 6 weeks we fly out for vacation and I want to do as much as I can specifically focusing on my arms!!

I have been reading you can use smaller weights (I have 3 lbs here) but are heavier weights better? Or just more reps of smaller weights? If heavier what is a good starting point?

If anyone has a recommended video on youtube please pass it along. There are just so many on there I am not sure which ones really work! I mean I am sure they all do on some level but would like some tried and true ones if that makes sense since I want to accomplish as much as I can in the next 6 weeks :smile:

If you have seen your own great results please share!!

Thanks!

Replies

• Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    I recommend AthleanX. Lots of arm and shoulder workouts, among many, many others
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I like videos by the firm, Jillian Michaels, beach body (PiYo is a good body weight workout), Amy Bento Ross, etc. Some can be found online, others I borrow ILL from the library. Heavy weights also work. But you can't spot reduce. If you still have fat to lose, you need to remain in a calorie deficit and you can do exercise of your choosing.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    I prefer lifting heavy to lighter weights (though for things like lateral raises I can't lift that heavy, it's more like 4 kg). Seconding you can't spot reduce. But this is the first time I've had visible muscle in my arms and I really like it. Much more confident in sleeveless things now.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Best advice I can give you is pick a proper lifting program and stick with it.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    Thanks everyone 15.6 lbs down :smile: I have the calorie deficit down to a science and losing quite steady.

Will keep adding in other stuff just want my focus to be more on my arms to get the maximum benefit before our vacation. If it doesn't work then hey at least I tried and some is better than none! Once I lose the rest of the weight my muscles will be waiting ;)

How many times a week should be focused on my arms and for how long? Normally I would just do what I can but because I have a goal in mind I want to push a little more and see if I can get results in that time.

I have 3 and 8 lb weights here and would like to use them properly!
    I think my main issue is there are so many video's it's overwhelming and that is why I like to hear of tried and true ones. Ones people like, enjoy and can recommend.
  • jesslifts
    jesslifts Posts: 34 Member
    My friends comment on being envious of my toned arms and I’m pretty proud of them (coming from someone with a lot of body hang ups!). They aren’t as big as I’d like but they are nicely toned and I think what most people aim for. It’s been a combination of press ups, tricep dips and standing tricep extensions with 5kg weight. I also bicep curl with a lightly weighted bar (10kg overall). So that’s arms on their own. For full body I’ve had really good cardio fitness and body fat success starting out with lesmills classes bodypump and body combat but if they’re not available then a beginners lifting program like strong lifts with some sensible eating should really help you in 6 weeks. Good luck!
  • WarmDontBurn
    I looked up stronglifts but only have dumbells :neutral:
    Might try this tomorrow and see if I like it -- https://youtu.be/83W7o34NFpA
    If it's a fit how often per week should I aim for?
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    The body is immensely adaptable but volume will need to be gradually added.

Since this is something you’re focused on, you can try ramping it up, especially since the goal is short term.

Try doing it once every 2 or 3 days in the first week. See how you feel. Move it to every other day the second week; you might find that to be perfect.

If it isn’t, try every day in the third week. Then adjust back down or keep it at that till your vacation.

Along with this, eating sufficient protein and managing your calories will be crucial. Good luck
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    My arms looked toned mainly after i regularly bicep curl 40lbs, shoulders starting to show some contour around 250 lbs of shoulder shrugs, delts were plump at 180lb on the shoulder press machine. It took about a year to work myself up to these point, im not close to having big muscles, more like a professional basketball player upper body type( yes they do lift heavy weights believe or not).
  • happysquatter
    My arms looked toned mainly after i regularly bicep curl 40lbs, shoulders starting to show some contour around 250 lbs of shoulder shrugs, delts were plump at 180lb on the shoulder press machine. It took about a year to work myself up to these point, im not close to having big muscles, more like a professional basketball player upper body type( yes they do lift heavy weights believe or not).

Limiting factor for the OP are access to only 3lb and 8lb dumbbells.

I agree that heavier weights would be better but that might not be an option
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

@WarmDontBurn for some arm exercises I start with 3 # weights and only go up to 5 or 8 #. For others I start with 10 # and go up to 20 #. Having only 3 and 8 # weights really limits you.

If you celebrate the winter holidays, you could ask for this for an early present: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RNW3OQ/
  • WarmDontBurn
    edited December 2019

Embarrassingly enough the 8lbs were too much to get through this whole video :(
    I ended up doing it with 3lbs for now. I did pull out the 8lb for the tricep dip.
    Will probably end up getting 5lbs and work my way up to the 8.

I very much appreciate all the help and support -- thank you to everyone that commented!
  • happysquatter

Embarrassingly enough the 8lbs were too much to get through this whole video :(
    I ended up doing it with 3lbs for now. I did pull out the 8lb for the tricep dip.
    Will probably end up getting 5lbs and work my way up to the 8.

I very much appreciate all the help and support -- thank you to everyone that commented!

No Problem

By the way - like chickencereal said above, bodyweight options like pushups are really good too, for both tricep and chest.
    I have also used a chinup variant using my dining table (head underneath, hang from finger tips, legs out and then pull myself up) Good for a bicep and back exercise when there are no other options
  • audreypawdrey
    audreypawdrey Posts: 130 Member
    I looked up stronglifts but only have dumbells :neutral:
    Might try this tomorrow and see if I like it -- https://youtu.be/83W7o34NFpA
    If it's a fit how often per week should I aim for?

I started with this last February and 3 lb. weights. I moved up to 5lb., and now have 8 lbs. I haven’t been doing as much since I started yoga in June, but it did make a noticeable difference! I should go back and revisit it!