Trekking in Bhutan to gangkhar puensum

Options
For all my hiking/trekking friends here, just came back from Bhutan. Fantastic weather so have some pics of my trek. Never saw anyone else there except nomadic communities (yak herders). Bhutan tightly controls who is there via permits/fees. On our trek there was 11 of us and only 19 total permits were issued this year for our trek. Gangkhar Puensum is the highest unclimbed mountain massif in the world (highest peak is over 24000 ft) and Bhutan does not allow climbing on any of their high mountains. We were not too high - around 12000 to 14500 with a higher pass at 16200. The trek follows a river that eventually merged with three rivers coming from the mountain. We took a different route back but everyday it was great scenery. I only wished we could have done more hiking each day (itinerary said 9-12 miles/day but it was avg only 7). I was really glad I brought my own sleeping bag (western mountaineering -25 degrees) as it got down to zero F and the people who used the Marmot bags provided were freezing. Also my new Rab down jacket (hydroponic down) was a dream and the envy of the other hikers.

If you want to go somewhere that isn’t overrun with tourists, where the trails are wild and open, lots of forests everywhere, this may be the place for you. I would love to do the Snowman Trek (reportedly the most difficult trek in the world) and Chomolhari Trek (which overlaps Snowman) in Bhutan now. Anyway enjoy the pics.

7g1i1arw62fg.jpeg
k3gvif5zps09.jpeg
um91x2u5ckz0.jpeg
c6k4sz2nd054.jpeg
69uvqvykixv3.jpeg
ifp0ax8az7k5.jpeg
9w66sdjgzirv.jpeg
bpyyw0kkhnm7.jpeg
4efw75xxm9vu.jpeg
2udydlx06ykb.jpeg
ngwbb8njwgfg.jpeg
8jezo6fyk4ib.jpeg

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Wonderful photos! Thanks so much for posting them!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post and kudos for your achievement. Beautiful pictures that allow me to enjoy the experience in a vicarious way.
    G. <3
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pictures.....looks like a great adventure.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Glad you could go.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing these great pics, I'm really impressed. Bhutan is not a destination most westerners would aspire to. I've only met Indian colleagues who have done treks in that neck of the world How did you land on that?
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing these great pics, I'm really impressed. Bhutan is not a destination most westerners would aspire to. I've only met Indian colleagues who have done treks in that neck of the world How did you land on that?

I have traveled for many years in adventure travel and you end up meeting people who recommend various places. Most world trekkers have heard of the Chomolhari Trek in Bhutan as several US based companies offer that trek as a group tour. I have wanted to do that trek but this one came up and had not been offered by any company for many years. So I looked at it as a way to try out Bhutan and do a trek most people never get a chance to do.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Amazing, thanks for sharing!