Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Peloton ad

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    This was my favorite description of the ad: “ ... a 116 lb woman’s YEARLONG fitness journey to becoming a 112 lb woman”.

Spot on. This is what gave me the biggest pinch about the ad. Looking scared to death at 116 lbs and basically looking exactly the same one year later while raving on and on about her imaginary positive side effects. I would've looked twice if she'd gained some muscle mass.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    If buying fitness products for a wife that loves fitness products lead to a divorce, my marriage would be long done by now. My wife loves fitness gifts. But you have to know your wife well enough to know that. I would NEVER buy her a vacuum for X-mas. Or a duster or steam mop. She has every cool little cleaning toy (before you say I'm sexist, I do all the cooking and kitchen cleanup and help with housework as needed, she just does more cleaning and I love to cook -- great arrangement!). But man, if I bought her a Dyson for X-mas, I'd be covering up my rear end because she'd try to ram that thing up my hole.

I got a Dyson last Christmas and I loved it. But my husband knew that I needed and wanted a smaller and easy vacuum to work with floors and carpets. During many years I got cooking utensils, pots, serving dishes and what ever I need it. He never slept in the garage and I never rammed anything up his whatever.

So you are correct that if a husband/SO knows his or her pattern then no gifts are out of limits.

My wife has asked for a 'military grade, Rogue Fitness, pull-up bar' as a birthday gift.

She loves it.

This last year, I bought her a Concept 2 Rowing Machine. She was completely stoked.

No Worries Here.

If I had room in my house I will ask for the Concept 2 Rowing Machine. Much better equipment that what we have in our fitness center. I'm a little bit envious of your wife :# , and hope that she is enjoying it.

They do come apart into two smaller pieces, and go back together very easily/quickly (no tools or anything needed). C2 recommends against storing them standing up in one piece because of the risk of toppling, but (1) people all over the world do it anyway ( ;) ), and (2) it would be fairly easy to secure in some fashion.

This includes people who live in earthquake prone parts of the world ;) They're also very easy to move to and from an upright position.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited December 2019
    Back to the original topic, they could have saved the commercial with one line change: “OH! You got me that Peloton I asked for!” but the marketing geniuses were hoping that rich dudes would see the commercial and buy them for their wives for Christmas, when no one in the household had previously even thought about it. So I feel like they kind of deserve the backlash.

lolol
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    hist_doc wrote: »
    raven56706 wrote: »
    Peleton must die a slow death. Its ridiculously $$$$.
    Think about it. For that kind of cash you can have a nice road bike (that you can use outside weather permitting), a good smart trainer to bolt it onto, and a subscription to something like training peaks or zwift.

I own a Peloton bike. I love it. Does everything for me? It kind of reminds me of an Apple Iphone. Just works with no thinking behind it. Sure i can get a mountain bike and other things to make it just like a Peloton but nah. This just works.

As for the ad however, its a load of *kitten* for other reasons. Not everyone owns a *kitten* luxurious house like the one on every commercial of theirs. Plus most of their members are bunch of entitled whiny *kitten*. I love the bike but it just does what i need it to do. Provide cardio. thats it

me too! I bought mine in 2016 and paid under 2k for it. I don't know what the sticker price is now. I use it several times a week and now that they have the tread classes I am able to use the running classes (in addition to their strength training classes) as well on my own treadmill and while running outdoors (I don't own a tread). Just ran my second marathon and used Peloton's training program for it. Loved it.

@just_Tomek
    It was well worth the investment as I have two kids and manage a full-time career on top of that. I don't quite understand the constant criticism Peloton faces and why you say it must die a slow death because it's "ridiculously expensive"... I have friends who pay much more than $40 per month on their gym memberships that they barely use. I use my Peloton bike and/or app every day of the week because I work out every day. For me, the 2k was not expensive--it was well worth the investment and I don't regret the purchase one bit. It is all relative. Would you also say that all luxury car companies or even fancy road bikes (which range into the thousands as I understand it) should die a slow death? At what point do these items become too expensive for your taste?
    And for what it's worth, I don't wish to buy a "nice road bike." Outdoor cycling is much different than spin. I am not a road cyclist and don't wish to navigate busy roads and drivers who are on their phones. A dear friend of mine was killed on his bike and another was gravely injured and put in intensive care. No thank you.

Yes we definitely should all get locked up inside our house in fear that something might or might not happen. A dear friend of mine died on his couch in perfect health from a sudden heart attack. Another died playing soccer. My father was hospitalized for a year from being in a car crash. There is no point in arguing about this nonesense. Its life and life happens. When it happens to you just be sure you lived it to the fullest. And if for YOU this means inside your house on the peleton bike, which here costs $3000 and $50/m membership, then all the power to you.
    I will enjoy my outdoor bike rides on my overpriced road bike enjoying the smells of the woods and the scenery.

I enjoy riding outside (though I rarely get to these days), but I think it's perfectly valid for people to opt to be inside because they find riding outside too dangerous. People have different thresholds for the amount of risk they're willing to take and that's ok. It's also more dangerous to ride in some areas of the world than others. As my rowing coach said today to the person coxing our boat (who had hurt himself playing dodgeball earlier this week...), "I played rec soccer from the time I was 30 years old until I was 40 years, let that be a lesson to you". In short, if you keep getting hurt doing something and you don't want to get hurt anymore, maybe you should think twice about doing the thing that is causing the injuries.

I have zero desire to get a Peloton for a number of reasons, but if I had the money and the space I wouldn't mind getting an indoor bicycle (something like a WattBike).

[ I do walk and run and I’ve encountered gunfire three times while running.

How long have you lived in Mogadishu ?
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    This negativity has pushed the poor woman to (pretend to) drink, she is now starring in a gin advert.

Shame on you, internet.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Then I remembered, every women I have ever dated, at some point during the relationship, had that exact same expression on her face.

I see it as a mixture of acute angst, deep fear, internalized pain and most of all..... intense regret.

And the common theme is they dated you...

I joke (badly) of course.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Think about it. For that kind of cash you can have a nice road bike (that you can use outside weather permitting), a good smart trainer to bolt it onto, and a subscription to something like training peaks or zwift.

I own a Peloton bike. I love it. Does everything for me? It kind of reminds me of an Apple Iphone. Just works with no thinking behind it. Sure i can get a mountain bike and other things to make it just like a Peloton but nah. This just works.

As for the ad however, its a load of *kitten* for other reasons. Not everyone owns a *kitten* luxurious house like the one on every commercial of theirs. Plus most of their members are bunch of entitled whiny *kitten*. I love the bike but it just does what i need it to do. Provide cardio. thats it

me too! I bought mine in 2016 and paid under 2k for it. I don't know what the sticker price is now. I use it several times a week and now that they have the tread classes I am able to use the running classes (in addition to their strength training classes) as well on my own treadmill and while running outdoors (I don't own a tread). Just ran my second marathon and used Peloton's training program for it. Loved it.

@just_Tomek
    It was well worth the investment as I have two kids and manage a full-time career on top of that. I don't quite understand the constant criticism Peloton faces and why you say it must die a slow death because it's "ridiculously expensive"... I have friends who pay much more than $40 per month on their gym memberships that they barely use. I use my Peloton bike and/or app every day of the week because I work out every day. For me, the 2k was not expensive--it was well worth the investment and I don't regret the purchase one bit. It is all relative. Would you also say that all luxury car companies or even fancy road bikes (which range into the thousands as I understand it) should die a slow death? At what point do these items become too expensive for your taste?
    And for what it's worth, I don't wish to buy a "nice road bike." Outdoor cycling is much different than spin. I am not a road cyclist and don't wish to navigate busy roads and drivers who are on their phones. A dear friend of mine was killed on his bike and another was gravely injured and put in intensive care. No thank you.

Yes we definitely should all get locked up inside our house in fear that something might or might not happen. A dear friend of mine died on his couch in perfect health from a sudden heart attack. Another died playing soccer. My father was hospitalized for a year from being in a car crash. There is no point in arguing about this nonesense. Its life and life happens. When it happens to you just be sure you lived it to the fullest. And if for YOU this means inside your house on the peleton bike, which here costs $3000 and $50/m membership, then all the power to you.
    I will enjoy my outdoor bike rides on my overpriced road bike enjoying the smells of the woods and the scenery.

I enjoy riding outside (though I rarely get to these days), but I think it's perfectly valid for people to opt to be inside because they find riding outside too dangerous. People have different thresholds for the amount of risk they're willing to take and that's ok. It's also more dangerous to ride in some areas of the world than others. As my rowing coach said today to the person coxing our boat (who had hurt himself playing dodgeball earlier this week...), "I played rec soccer from the time I was 30 years old until I was 40 years, let that be a lesson to you". In short, if you keep getting hurt doing something and you don't want to get hurt anymore, maybe you should think twice about doing the thing that is causing the injuries.

I have zero desire to get a Peloton for a number of reasons, but if I had the money and the space I wouldn't mind getting an indoor bicycle (something like a WattBike).

Thanks, somebody needed to say this. Not everyone lives where riding near woods and scenery is a safe option. My city not too long ago made the list of least safe cities for bicycles and pedestrians. I’ve never ridden a bike here but I do walk and run and I’ve encountered gunfire three times while running.

Back to the original topic, they could have saved the commercial with one line change: “OH! You got me that Peloton I asked for!” but the marketing geniuses were hoping that rich dudes would see the commercial and buy them for their wives for Christmas, when no one in the household had previously even thought about it. So I feel like they kind of deserve the backlash.

"You got me exactly what I wanted!" would save the ad for both of those parochial audiences, I think maybe.

But I still think it's trying to hook people who don't feel good about themselves, and who can be persuaded to think a pricey bike will do the trick.

For clarity: This is not to say it's a bad product, or that people who buy it universally don't feel good about themselves. How a product is marketed is distinct from why people buy it (usually some overlap, but not total).

It's not uncommon for advertising pitches to try to play on common anxieties, or even to try to create some (Axe products, any anxious adolescent boy of a few years back?). The marketers believe will work, and sometimes it does. At the same time, for many product classes, people want, buy, and benefit from the product for reasons having nothing to do with that particular advertising pitch.

One might think it would be a good idea to align the pitch with the reasons actual buyers buy, but that's not necessarily true: It doesn't necessarily broaden your market, for example. I haven't looked into Peloton's whole strategy, but it's also not unusual to place different pitches in different markets. For example, do they market in cycling magazines or on hardcore fitness sites? If so, is the pitch the same? I dunno.

If you have a Peloton and like it, or want one, yay, more power to you - sincerely. There are lots of things other people enjoy that seem boring, expensive, pointless, unsafe or whatever from the standpoint of my personal circumstances, tastes and preferences, but I don't think my circumstances, tastes and preferences are universals (or should be). Enjoy what you enjoy, and buy what seems like any worthwhile expenditure, y'know? If everyone rowed, my river would get way too crowded. ;)
  • Motorsheen
    MPDean wrote: »
    Then I remembered, every women I have ever dated, at some point during the relationship, had that exact same expression on her face.

I see it as a mixture of acute angst, deep fear, internalized pain and most of all..... intense regret.

And the common theme is they dated you...

I joke (badly) of course.

I reckon that sometimes the truth hurts, it damn sure does....
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    What irritates me about the ad, is he bought her a $2000 piece of exercise equipment, and her gift the following year in return is a video of her telling him how much she loves it??? Maybe I am misinterpreting the ad, but I always laughed about that. Its going to make my gift giving this year much easier though, I am just going to make a bunch of videos of me using last years gifts from people, and I will send out those videos with their Christmas cards. Seriously though, I don't really see anything sexist about the ad, its just pretty dumb. It would have made way more sense to find an actual real human who used the bike over the course of a year, and shown their progress. That would be way more inspiring than showing a fit person staying fit.

I don’t think the video was a gift in return for him. The concept of this commercial is that she’s a vlogger, if you watch YouTube or know anything about social media, you’d get what she’s doing. Vloggers are people who record their lives and activities and post it online. She’s basically documenting her fitness journey with the bike.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

@just_Tomek

It’s Memphis, TN. But seriously. My husband and I have been shot at once and in the presence of someone shooting at someone else twice while running in our neighborhood. And we aren’t in a particularly bad part of town, there are neighborhoods much worse. We usually drive to a safer neighborhood to run at a park. I was chatting with a lady at the symphony who is also a runner about why she doesn’t run at the same park since she’s in that neighborhood and she said as a solo female she wouldn’t feel safe there. She does a lot of treadmill. It’s a safe bet she’s exactly the customer peloton wants. I’d be surprised if she doesn’t already own one. Now I’m wondering what she would think of the ad. I’m thinking she would find the idea of being afraid of an exercise bike hilarious.
  • Motorsheen

@just_Tomek

It’s Memphis, TN. But seriously. My husband and I have been shot at once and in the presence of someone shooting at someone else twice while running in our neighborhood. And we aren’t in a particularly bad part of town, there are neighborhoods much worse. We usually drive to a safer neighborhood to run at a park. I was chatting with a lady at the symphony who is also a runner about why she doesn’t run at the same park since she’s in that neighborhood and she said as a solo female she wouldn’t feel safe there. She does a lot of treadmill. It’s a safe bet she’s exactly the customer peloton wants. I’d be surprised if she doesn’t already own one. Now I’m wondering what she would think of the ad. I’m thinking she would find the idea of being afraid of an exercise bike hilarious.

Wow... I'm surprised that it's Memphis.

I tackled a big project in Germantown a few years ago and thought the area was actually pretty nice.
    But, yeah.... you never know; Ive heard gunplay in Scottsdale (unexpected) and also in Los Angeles at one of tne beach cities ( also unexpected ).

If i heard gun shots on a training run or ride, i would be inclined to take my training elsewhere too.
  • Diatonic12
    The group think tank confirmational bias and dynamics of this ad will be studied in boardrooms all across the world for years to come.

The struggle was real. It was scary. She had to crawl out of bed and walk into her living room and get on her foo foo bike while her husband slept through it all. The ad was about physical fitness but at the end of one year we could see no visible side effects. Bottomline: the authenticity for the branding just wasn't there and you're left holding the bag after one year's time. No visible physical benefits after slapping your hard earned cash on the barrelhead. Consumers are far smarter than thoughtless imaginary ad campaigns but it tanked just the same.
  • Diatonic12
    https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/peloton-stock-price-15-billion-wiped-from-value-in-3-days-amid-backlash-1028743585

They'd do well to take the ad down and never show it again. Back to the drawing board, they're starting over at square one. A cautionary tale for years to come.