Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Working out while sick.

raven56706
raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
There are two sides to this.

• Pro Working out
  • If you work out, your body will feel energized and keep you positive while being sick
  • You will sweat out the germs
  • Unless you have a fever, you can workout at anytime
• Shouldn’t workout
  • Sinus infections and other sicknesses, while not severe, need the body’s energy to fight off the sickness.
  • Your body needs to rest.
  • Most over the counter meds and prescription ones will affect your body’s performance at the gym

Obviously everyone is different but where do you stand on this topic?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,100 Member
    edited December 2019
    I never exercise with a (serious) fever. And intense cardio with a stuffy/runny nose definitely doesn't appeal to me!

Aside from that, it depends on how bad I feel.
    Generally speaking, I prefer to give my body some rest.

PS I have a homegym, no risk of contagion.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Sure, exercise if you like if you're ill, but NOT at the gym, no-one else needs your germs!

Personally, I prefer to get some fresh air with a gentle walk (preferably near the sea) unless I am so lethargic I am bed-bound and the only time that happened it was pneumonia.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    raven56706 wrote: »
    There are two sides to this.

[*] Most over the counter meds and prescription ones will affect your body’s performance at the gym

Obviously everyone is different but where do you stand on this topic?

Please, just don't.

Otherwise, do what you feel you are physically capable of handling without harming your recovery.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Sometimes it’s a good idea. Sometimes, it’s not.

Sometimes it can help you recover faster. Sometimes it slows down recovery.

Sometimes it can help prevent things from getting worse. Sometimes it can make things worse.

It depends.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Some sicknesses at certain times that I know generally go the wrong direction (fall allergies with a cold going to pneumonia) I know not to keep working out during the cold in hopes of it not getting worse. Walking maybe.

Summer cold I'll still do long cardio just not as intense and usually feel better. Get the sinuses blown out on long bike ride.

Depends if it feels like the start where I hope to fight whatever off and enough stress already.
    Or near the end where I've already won the fight and just getting better.
    Though I have backtracked a couple times pushing too hard during recovery.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    "Sick" is also such a vague term. What does that mean? What kind of sickness?

Is it a person with a mild case of the sniffles? Strep throat? Influenza? Cancer? Pink Eye? Lupus? Black Death?

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I find when I'm sick that working out just lets the bugger get the upper hand. Also, I second the point about avoiding the gym when you are sick so you don't share your bug.

If you have something non-communicable (lupus, psoriasis, MS etc.) then the decision to work out or not is between you, your body, and your doc. Some chronic conditions are improved by exercise (fibromyalgia) and others aren't (chronic fatigue syndrome).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2019
    Well or unwell is a range not binary.
    "Needing" rest depends on severity.

Sweat out germs is an old wive's tale.

Not working out also impacts your performance.

Personally if I can work out (at a suitable intensity) without harm to myself or others I will.
    If it's somewhere in the middle of being positive for me but potentially infectious to others I'll exercise outdoors or at home.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I usually go by - if exercise makes me feel better, I exercise, and if it makes me feel worse, I don't. Usually with a cold or something, a little bit of exercise will clear the sinuses.

This, of course, all assumes that you are not going out to exercise in a shared space. Please keep the germs at home as much as possible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I don't get sick all that often and when I do, it's usually pretty bad and there's no way I'm working out. I don't remember the last time I got sick and it was just a little bit sick or feeling a bit under the weather...it's usually a full blown *kitten* storm.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    I do work out when I am sick with a cold. Colds tend to linger for me and I can't skip like two weeks of exercise. I actually find workouts pretty good for clearing my nasal passages.

However, I only ever exercise at home. I have a weight machine and various other equipment plus a TV and DVD player for cardio workouts at home so no need to spread my germs with anyone.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    No Banging in on lifting days....
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    I do not go to the gym when I have a cold or any other upper respiratory bug, and I don't take fitness classes either. I don't want to spread my germs to the rest of the gang. If I am not too sick and the weather is OK, I may take a short walk and get some fresh air, and maybe do some calisthenics at home. But most of the time, I will stay at home resting and keeping hydrated.

I haven't been sick with a respiratory or stomach bug in a long time (knocking in every piece of wood that I have in the house... :p ), but when I do get a cold I am totally and completely miserable so staying at home is a must for me.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Serious question. At the gym there are generally all sort of wipes one can use to clean off equipment, not so in the real world.

For all those saying stay home from the gym so you don't spread germs do you stay away from handholds on public transportation, elevator buttons, credit card styluses/buttons, etc while sick so as not to spread germs?