Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Working out while sick.

Replies

• sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    Too many variables. It really would depend on what it is I have, how severe it is and what I need to recover. Sometimes I can work out straight through without a problem (headache, allergies, PMS, etc). Couple other times I can recall this year, I needed the rest. If it’s contagious, my first priority is to avoid spreading it, so working out at my gym would be a no-go in that case.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Serious question. At the gym there are generally all sort of wipes one can use to clean off equipment, not so in the real world.

For all those saying stay home from the gym so you don't spread germs do you stay away from handholds on public transportation, elevator buttons, credit card styluses/buttons, etc while sick so as not to spread germs?

Outside of the home.... I only use my elbows to touch anything and everything.

giphy.gif
  • bosque1234
    bosque1234 Posts: 60 Member
    There is no pro side to this.
    If you're sick, stay out of public places like gyms because you'll get OTHER people sick.
    End of discussion.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Serious question. At the gym there are generally all sort of wipes one can use to clean off equipment, not so in the real world.

For all those saying stay home from the gym so you don't spread germs do you stay away from handholds on public transportation, elevator buttons, credit card styluses/buttons, etc while sick so as not to spread germs?

It depends on how sick I am/what type of illness I have. Pneumonia? I stayed away from everything and everyone, public transportation included. I also tend to wash my hands more when I'm sick than when I'm not. When push comes to shove, however, it's a case of minimising exposure to other people. I can't always avoid contact with everything, but I can minimize contact with some things.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited December 2019

I use hand sanitiser, whenever I am out and about and avoid public places where possible. I generally disinfect hand contact areas such as light switches, cupboard/fridge/freezer doors, door handles etc regularly at home and wash my hands regularly.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't get sick all that often and when I do, it's usually pretty bad and there's no way I'm working out. I don't remember the last time I got sick and it was just a little bit sick or feeling a bit under the weather...it's usually a full blown *kitten* storm.

This is for me too... My body totally shuts down when I'm sick. Luckily I rarely get sick.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited December 2019
    I'm not really sick today but had my 2nd Shingles vaccine yesterday. The 1st one only made me feel a little ick. Life went on as usual. Last night and this a.m. though, my routine is all shot to he!!. Couldn't sleep, cold/hot, aches/pains, stomach pain, didn't even want my a.m. coffee or to be on my computer when I got up at 5. So I said 'bag it' and went back to bed.
    I see myself just indulging in an off day today and maybe another nap will be in order as soon as my must-do list is done. :/
    All that to say I think when your body is stressed by not feeling well, rest it. If my illness went on for too long and I felt like getting back into it, slow and easy for me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    mostly, i work out if i'm sick. but not in gyms. i try to avoid spreading my germs.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member

Ideally if a person is sick, he/she/they will stay home in order to not spread sickness. Duh.

In the real world? We all know it's not always feasible to stay home for every sniffle, scratchy throat, or headache. And in some diseases (like norovirus) you can feel fine at 8 am and suddenly be vomiting at 11 am. Sometimes when sick we *have* to venture to the pharmacy or the doctor's office.

Also...look, the world's not sterile out there. You will (and actually MUST) be exposed to the stuff out there.

That's why I believe the onus to do what you can to lessen (you can't eliminate) the chance of catching something is to do what YOU can. Get your immunizations. Wash your hands frequently (try doing it when you come home every day). Get some hand sanitizer. Don't handle other people's phones or keyboards (they're filthy). And yes, wipe down the gym equipment-- but feel free to wipe down *yourself* before using if you aren't certain it was.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

I think it's more about minimizing your exposure for other people. I try as much as possible to avoid going out in public when I'm sick, but that can't always be helped...but there are certain things like the gym that are entirely optional activities and you don't need to be there when you're sick.

I've been known to basically quarantine myself to the guest bedroom and bathroom while I'm contagious to avoid getting my kids and wife sick. I rarely get sick...and when I do, it's very rarely a case of the sniffles or feeling a little under the weather. Generally when I'm sick, I'm sick...fever, strep throat is fairly common, bronchitis, etc. Thankfully...and knock on wood, I've never had a full blown flu.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member

At the height of flu season last year, my hospital had disposable paper masks at every station with signs for people who were coughing to please use them.
  • go52182
    go52182 Posts: 133 Member
    I started feeling a sore throat on Friday but I went to the gym anyway. Saturday, same thing. Sunday, same thing. I did make sure to not touch my nose before touching anything else, though I clean the equipment (even dumbbells and barbells) before and after. Never turned into a full-blown cold so I'm glad I didn't skip the gym because of a sore throat.

I think it depends on the severity. Not for yourself, but for others. If you're coughing and sneezing definitely keep your germs to yourself! Obviously if you're feeling terrible you should stay home and rest.
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs.

Lol! My body is a big fat liar. When I listen to it, it says I need to eat chips and ice cream and lay around on the couch. .

🤣🤣🤣
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member
    goatg wrote: »

Lol! My body is a big fat liar. When I listen to it, it says I need to eat chips and ice cream and lay around on the couch. .

🤣🤣🤣

Sad but true... :p
  • nodau_iach
    nodau_iach Posts: 77 Member
    goatg wrote: »

🤣🤣🤣

Sad but true... :p

Not chips for me, though still craving unnatural high calorie foods while a steak wouldn't do.. trying to ignore and "whisper" to the body it's not hunger but a unhealthy craving.. :/

Trying to listen, but needing to log to stay accountable. :*

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member

So just saying here...for the typical cold/flu deal, the germs are getting spread by secretions. Which obviously aren't IN our hands, just get ON our hands and/or spread around in the air when we cough, touch our mouth or nose, etc...

Entire societies (sadly not most western ones) actually encourage people to not spread germs when they are sick by staying home or wearing protective face gear. Because a lot of these folks view it as tremendously rude and inconsiderate to knowingly spread our illness to all our neighbors and our community.

Note all the face masks in many Asian countries, as a great example, that a person usually wears if they are sick and still need to go out or go to work.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    There's nothing wrong with working out while sick if your breathing isn't compromised or you have a fever.

Exercising with a fever can aggravate the fever, which isn't good. Also, it's not polite to go to the gym and expose hundreds or thousands of people.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member

Lol! My body is a big fat liar. When I listen to it, it says I need to eat chips and ice cream and lay around on the couch.

To answer the OP's question, it's a matter of energy level and severity. If I'm just a little under the weather, I go for it. If I've got a heavy cold or something similar, I rest and let my body recover. I am also conscious of not wanting to spread my germs around the gym.

Listen to your brain than. :)
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    raven56706 wrote: »
    There are two sides to this.

• Pro Working out
    • If you work out, your body will feel energized and keep you positive while being sick
    • You will sweat out the germs
    • Unless you have a fever, you can workout at anytime
    • Shouldn’t workout
    • Sinus infections and other sicknesses, while not severe, need the body’s energy to fight off the sickness.
    • Your body needs to rest.
    • Most over the counter meds and prescription ones will affect your body’s performance at the gym

Obviously everyone is different but where do you stand on this topic?
    Well I am not sure about this statement; Glad you mentioned at the end that everybody is different. Glad this works for you but it would have been helpful that this is you personal opinion and what works for you at the start

Firstly germs? Are they bacteria, viruses chemicals what? But whatever you don't sweat them out. You are contagious through your airways (breath) and mucus, contagious stuff. This in turn will make you possibly contagious for skin to skin contact (for instance blowing your nose) You end up giving your immune system possibly a boost that helps to get rid of them possibles, but you do not sweat them out.

For me the rule is the neck rule: Anything just above the neck sick - I can work out taking into account that I am not going for a top performance. So scale back. It should be noted that for me a workout is a run or a long walk in such a case. I am not going to any gym or enclosed exercise environment and in the past have not attended when I was contagious. Meds or no meds, simply not going to spread. But being active outdoors has a positive effect on my well being I even go for a walk if I have a mild fever.

Under the neck meaning my chest is affected and or may whole body I am off totally off and indoors. But that is only when I have a flu (and not a bad cold that is completely different, different viruses too)
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    The body needs rest, and you don't want to spread germs, so I say take a couple days off