Just found out I'm pre-diabetic what do I eat?

2»

Replies

• Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    luvmakidz wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My doctor said to come back in 6 months for another test, and to exercise and watch my carbs. I'm 5 foot 4 and 205 pounds, so I'm sure my weight (obviously from a bad diet) is the direct cause.
    I know to avoid sugar, but can you suggest a breakfast and lunch to have? I'm just lost right now.

I had pre-diabetic blood work when I started. It's not an actual diagnosis of anything...ie you don't have a disease. It's just a wake up call. Really, the biggest thing is losing weight and regular exercise. I didn't do low carb or anything like that...in fact, if anything my carbs increased because I started eating a lot more plants...veg, fruit, legumes, lentils, oats, etc.

The cause of pre-diabetes and ultimately diabetes isn't "carbs"...the number one factor is being over weight/over fat and lacking physical movement.

I did "clean up" my diet quite a bit...like I said, lots more plant based foods, and then more lean proteins and such. But I'd say the number one factor in getting my numbers in the optimal range was losing 40 Lbs and establishing a habit of regular exercise.

Did you lose the weight by eating cleaner? I have 60 pounds to lose and I find that to be overwhelming at my age (46).

@luvmakidz - 46 is a youngin! I know people that have climbed MT Everest older than you! You can do it!
  • krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a little over 3 years ago and follow a low fat plant based diet. I would recommend you check out masteringdiabetes.org, they have a lot of great into about nutrition and diabetes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    MY focus would be on protein, fruit and veg. And while you are doing that get in to see a registered dietician who can tell you what you should be eating, and how much. That is what they train for, your doc should have referred you.

Unfortunately I did not receive a referral, and won't be able to see a RD. Hoping to gather as much info as I can to improve my health.

If it were my diagnosis and doctor, I would not accept a lame "watch my carbs" and would insist on a referral to an RD, but the others are right - you can get this under control by losing weight and exercising.
  • helpfit1002
    helpfit1002 Posts: 16 Member
    You are over-weight, so that should be your main and secondary focus. Learn to count calories and eat at a deficit. That sounds easy, but that is really all you need to do. It is not easy of course. Activity helps.

Then when you get to your target weight and your blood sugar is still high, start to think about changing to eating complex carbs over sugary carbs. But really, worry about your weight first.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    The Newcastle study shows type 2 insulin insensitivity is caused by excessive fat around liver and pancreas, so if you lose some belly fat it might take you out of the risk group. I reversed my own diabetes diagnosis by losing some weight and have been off medication for a few years. I went from an hba1c of 10+ to 4.5.
    https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation

Exercise, especially HIIT depletes glycogen in of your muscles which when replenished in turn pulls glucose out of your blood.
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/high-intensity-interval-training.html

You can also google more conventional simple carb management by googling glycemic index.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    If you want to try conventional simple carb management, you can buy a blood glucose test kit in drugstores. The kind where you prick your finger to test where your blood sugar is. Get the pharmacist to show you how to use it. Keep track of what foods (and how much of it) raises your post prandial blood glucose to an unnacceptable level. It's been a long time since I have done this, so ask the pharmacist for advice where you should be trying to keep your blood glucose and how long after eating you should test.

Oh, you can reduce the glycemic index of starchy foods such as pasta and rice by thoroughly cooling after cooking and reheating.
    https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/carbohydrates-and-diabetes/carbs-and-cooking