Staying under 1,200 cal. Walking 2-5 mi/day. Gaining weight

So frustrated. I’m logging every grape, every kernel of pistacio. I don’t eat fat. No meat. Very very low carb. Wine is my vice- but I log every ounce. Help!

Discouraged in st Pete

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Do you use a food scale? It can make a big difference.

Over what period of time? What’s your big picture look like? If you have recently increased your activity, its likely water retention. This is a common complaint here.

Pretty sure under 1200 calories is not recommended. Why do you aim so low? Please don’t say its because you want to lose in a hurry.
  • macsmom1205
    macsmom1205 Posts: 1 Member
    It sounds like you may need a more balanced diet. Your body absolutely needs carbs, fats, and proteins 1,200 calories sounds really low (depending on your size) because your body will retain more if it thinks it is starving. Try looking online for a macro calculator and find out where you need to be. Invest in a food scale it makes it so much easier to accurately measure foods and log the correct information. If you are already food logging really accurately, maybe reevaluate your foods- For example : Apples are healthy but the sugar in apples needs to be paired with a protein so your blood sugars don't spike and crash. Pair it with a protein like natural peanut or almond butter (read the labels- there should be very few ingredients & you should know what they all are). Now it is a healthy filling snack that keeps you satisfied and your body happy. Fooducate .com is a great website that can help you pick healthy foods. ♥

Good luck to you, I'm sure if you do a little research and keep at it things will turn around for you!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    So frustrated. I’m logging every grape, every kernel of pistacio. I don’t eat fat. No meat. Very very low carb. Wine is my vice- but I log every ounce. Help!

Discouraged in st Pete

If you don't eat fat, (except apparently pistachios) and you are very very low carb and you don't eat meat...that doesn't leave much - does it?

Please open your FOOD page so we can see if you are making some common logging errors. Go to FOOD > Settings > scroll down, click Public (and save)

If you were in fact eating under 1200 calories you would be losing weight unless you have some health issues.

How long have you been logging food and how much weight are you trying to lose?
  • pico6222
    pico6222 Posts: 14 Member
    I have definitely experienced my metabolism slowing down from eating too little, especially in the past when I lost a lot of weight quickly and was exercising a lot, eating too few calories. This may slow or halt your weight loss. Recently I was in a plateau and went back to losing weight through increasing my calories (to the calculated maintenance amount in MFP) and changing my macros to eat more protein and more fats than I was before. I am not completely low carb - I aim for 30% protein. It has jump started my weight loss again. I would suggest increasing your calories to "maintenance" and focusing on nourishing your body with healthy, nutrient-dense, non-processed foods and see how it goes after a few weeks. As others have said, 1200 calories sounds very low unless you are on the older and smaller side. If you're tied to that number, try increasing your protein and healthy fats.

(My personal opinion - when someone is obsessing about their calories and eating very few, "get a food scale" is not gonna help the problem)
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    It sounds like you may need a more balanced diet. Your body absolutely needs carbs, fats, and proteins 1,200 calories sounds really low (depending on your size) because your body will retain more if it thinks it is starving. Try looking online for a macro calculator and find out where you need to be. Invest in a food scale it makes it so much easier to accurately measure foods and log the correct information. If you are already food logging really accurately, maybe reevaluate your foods- For example : Apples are healthy but the sugar in apples needs to be paired with a protein so your blood sugars don't spike and crash. Pair it with a protein like natural peanut or almond butter (read the labels- there should be very few ingredients & you should know what they all are). Now it is a healthy filling snack that keeps you satisfied and your body happy. Fooducate .com is a great website that can help you pick healthy foods. ♥

Good luck to you, I'm sure if you do a little research and keep at it things will turn around for you!

If your body hung onto fat when it was starving then famine victims wouldn't exist. Neither would eating disorders. Think about it logically for one minute...
  • Hello everyone.im 220 pounds.well,I have decided to look n feel better.started walk from 17 of November ,45-50 mins,brisk.trying to eat right.my face doesn’t look too swollen now,waist has toned a teeny weeny bit,tummy too.but till last night,no change in weight ☹️I’m trying to eat healthy,veg,meat,nuts,fruit,no chips,no junk food.a little disappointed,but will not give up.can some tell me if this thing happening w me,is normal or am I doing something wrong.have not walked since 3-4 days,had a cyst removed from the scalp so dr doesn’t want a sweaty scalp.but keeping an eye on the diet.