Morning workouts

For those who workout in the early morning....what is your routine? Do you just jump right out of bed and get your workout clothes on? I want to start mornings but it's so hard to get up!

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Yeah, literally what I do. Alarm set for 6am or 6.15am, and I'm in the gym within half hour of that. I'm lucky I guess I've always been able to get out of bed the second my alarm rings (usually even before it goes off).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've tried early morning workouts and my performance is for crap. It's better than doing nothing, if that's what I need to do to fit it in, but really, my performance is pretty crap compared to later in the day.

For the most part, I just walk my dog in the mornings with my coffee and watch the sunrise...that's about as much effort as you're going to get from me in the early AM.

Sometimes in the summer I'll go for a quick 30 minute ride on my bike just to get in a ride to beat the heat...but it's not really optimal for actual training purposes.

• Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    I hate mornings, my wife loves them. My morning workouts are *kitten*, hers are amazing. I go to bed at midnight, she goes to bed at 9.

There may be some correlation/causation there, but I refuse to see it.

• mrswhite714
    mrswhite714 Posts: 12 Member
    for me, morning is what works best. i can get up, get my workout in, get to work and on with my day. When I used to rely on evening workouts, I could think of a million excuses to never go. In the morning, nobody else is up.

I got up with the thought that you never regret a workout... but you regret the one you didn't do.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I get up and let my dogs out. Then I pee, get my water, and put my hair up and put on sport bra. I let the dogs in and then go to my room for a workout video. All of this is done within 10 minutes. During holidays, if I'm extra tired, I might have a little coffee to wake up before starting, but I don't really have the time for it before work. The cardio wakes me up anyway. My alarm is 5:15-5:20 and I usually workout from 5:25/5:30-6:15/6:20. I leave for work at 7:30.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I prep everything the night before. Work clothes packed, workout clothes laid out, breakfast and lunch packed. My alarm goes off at 3:45. I brush my teeth, wash my face, etc, and get into my workout clothes and go to the gym. Workout til 6:00, then get ready for work at the gym.
  • It’s miserable but once you get used to your schedule you get used to it. It’s the only way I can fit both my workouts in most days.

4:00am: wake up, feed dog, stare into my own eyes and wonder why I do this.
    4:15: Two scoops of scratch hydration mix, drink while having exhistential crisis.
    4:20: Either change into cycling clothes or grab swim bag
    5:00: arrive at gym and scope out pool to see if creepy German lady is there(it dictates my swim wear choice)
    5:10-6:30: Swim
    6:30: sit in sauna talk to the wise Korean man who tells me about his dogs every morning.
    6:40: Shower.
    7:20: Arrive at office start the day hang all my wet pool stuff up.
  • Flex730
    Flex730 Posts: 46 Member
    I wake up at 4:30 get dressed, I have my gym bag packed the night before. Mix my preworkout and take my supplements and drink it on the way to gym I’m usually there by 5:15 at the latest. Since working out in the morning I no longer drink coffee in the morning because I’m getting my caffeine fix from preworkout. Work out, shower at the gym and on my way to work at 7:30.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I think having a routine is key. Like many posts above, I set out my clothes and gym shoes the night before. Pack anything I need for the workout in my gym bag. In the morning, I wake up usually without an alarm (still set one just in case), go downstairs (4 sleeping kids and hubby upstairs) and get changed, brush teeth, take caffeine pill, and go.
    I’ve never once regretted getting up at 5 am to workout but have for sure regretted when, on the rare occasion, I skip.

I never thought I was a morning person. But, I’ve been working out in the early morning for about 8-9 years now and can’t imagine waiting until evening to get it done!

Just get started and see if it works for you. Give yourself a few weeks to adjust to the change before you decide if it’s for you or not!
  • redcase
    redcase Posts: 69 Member
    I prep everything the night before. Work clothes packed, workout clothes laid out, breakfast and lunch packed. My alarm goes off at 3:45. I brush my teeth, wash my face, etc, and get into my workout clothes and go to the gym. Workout til 6:00, then get ready for work at the gym.

Wow, you are my gym twin! Except that I go back home after since I have to get hubby and kiddo up, fed, dressed, to daycare, etc. Well, hubs doesn't go to daycare, and he usually gets dressed on his own. lol
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    redcase wrote: »

Wow, you are my gym twin! Except that I go back home after since I have to get hubby and kiddo up, fed, dressed, to daycare, etc. Well, hubs doesn't go to daycare, and he usually gets dressed on his own. lol

My kid's 15. Much easier!

And I legit :laugh: at hubby not going to daycare and usually dressing himself.
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    When I was doing HIIT I could jump out of bed and just get started because my workout usually included a good warmup. Now that I am heavy lifting I can’t do that, even with a warm up. My body needs to really be relaxed and ready. I usually get my kids off to school, eat breakfast, and start working out about 2.5-3 hours after I have originally woken up.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I avoid morning workouts at all costs, unless it's the only way to fit it in. I'm in the "crappy performance" category. That said, I will get everything ready the night before and try to get to bed earlier. I'll make a small cup of coffee to drink in the car. I usually feel great during the day, but it's not a great workout. Better than nothing though. Congrats on getting up! Maybe you'll build this in as a new habit!