• jacktherower
    jacktherower Posts: 292 Member
    1sphere wrote: »
    "Die Hard is the best Christmas movie"
    It is, WOMAN
  • Slackpacker
    Slackpacker Posts: 20 Member
    "Just saying"

I always want to hit anyone that says this.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Why buy the pig when you can get the sausage for free?
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    This is probably a common one, but “I could care less” gets under my skin.

I also cringe when I hear people use babyish words, for example saying baggie or bootie instead of bag or boot.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,010 Member
    MessyApron wrote: »
    This is probably a common one, but “I could care less” gets under my skin.

I also cringe when I hear people use babyish words, for example saying baggie or bootie instead of bag or boot.
    Yaaas! I could care less. lol.
  • MelG7777
    When the outgoing message says “I’ll get back to you at my earliest convenience”. Really? So, you’ll get back to me when it’s convenient for you? Lol They are either extremely honest or confused. lol.
  • MelG7777
    Analog_Kid wrote: »
    Yesterday, I was forced to endure a 2 hour conference call with a presenter that ended every sentence with "right?"

Certainly you've heard this before...right?
    Whenever someone is...like...trying to make a point...right?
    Every single statement suddenly becomes a question...right?
    It gets to the point...right?...where you don't even notice the other words because all you hear is right...right?
    So you're just staring out the window...right?
    You're thinking the only way to relieve this agony is to hurl yourself through the glass...right?
    But then you glance at the clock...right?
    And...like...it's almost lunch time...right?
    So, you decide to tough it out for just a few more minutes...right?
    You think of all of the motivational phrases you've read on MFP...right?
    Take a deep breath...focus...you're almost there...right?
    Finally, the presentation ends...right?
    The speaker asks if there are any questions...right?
    Some idiot at the other end of the table...right?...makes a comment about the presentation and the speaker replies, "That's right!"
    At this point, in a desperate effort to save what’s left of your sanity...right?...you just get up and leave the room.

Am I right?

You definitely are right. But...I hear “you know?” a ton too.
    I went into the store, you know, to grab some milk. And, it was so busy in there because of Christmas, you know, but I got in and out quickly.

Is that regional? Do other places say that a ridiculous amount?
  • willboywonder
    willboywonder Posts: 132 Member
    "You're losing too much weight." How bout people mind their own business.
  • TarryTaffy
    TarryTaffy Posts: 883 Member
    Having lived in huge cities in 16 states, 7 countries, 4 continents, I've encountered everything. I can deal with varying accents, broken English (or other languages), awful grammar, regional slang... but, mumbling, soft spoken-ness to the point of having to ask "What? What?" over & over or incomplete thoughts (the say nothing "blah, blah, blah" or "know I'm sayin'" types) that just leave me asking constant "I'm sorry, what do you mean?" type q's make me quickly lose my patience. If it's an effort to speak to/understand another, I'm now old enough that I give up & walk away rather than entertain poor communication skills.

People who speak too loudly, barreling loudly over others & continually interrupting are the most difficult for me to be around... stop shouting at me, for the love of Valhalla, I can bloody well hear you! And, let others speak... you are an exhausting human.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    MessyApron wrote: »

Appies and bevvies. I have adult friends that talk like that.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Dog
  • rmberra
    rmberra Posts: 20 Member
    "...build the plane while we're flying it..."
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    edited December 2019
    I went into the store, you know, to grab some milk. And, it was so busy in there because of Christmas, you know, but I got in and out quickly.

I know a couple of people who take it a step further: "You know what I mean?" (Yes, I speak English, I know what you mean.) They're both from the New York area... don't know if that's significant or just a coincidence.

• epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    13bbird13 wrote: »

I know a couple of people who take it a step further: "You know what I mean?" (Yes, I speak English, I know what you mean.) They're both from the New York area... don't know if that's significant or just a coincidence.

On the same vein...
    "Does this make sense?"
    Either they think you're slow or they're superior.(Yes, I speak English!)
  • TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    During this uncertain time
  • ZenDream
    ZenDream Posts: 208 Member
    "What we do do" - Really? You can just drop a "do?" What we do. See, all better. Oh and, "irregardless." No such word, give it up. Irrespective or regardless is what you're looking for. Carry on.