Do you like your food scale?

Options
Time for me to get a new food scale. I have had mine for over a decade and the readouts are getting questionable. Do you have one that you love that you would recommend? If so, why do you love it? I want to make sure it can do all the basics - weigh in both ounces and grams, that it is sensitive and accurate to small differences (like weighing a small amount of craisins or small things in grams). and that you can do the thing where you put a plate or cup on it, and can zero it out so it only weighs what you put on the plate.

I'd love to hear your recs!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I like: Digital Kitchen Scale NEXT-SHINE K305 11lb 5kg x 0.1g Gram Scale with Large Back-lit LCD Display and Tare Function for Cooking Baking Diets

I bought it on Amazon.

My requirements were that it was easy to read without my glasses and easy to clean. My previous one had a glass weighing surface that was raised above the scale and cleaning under it was a hassle. This one also rounds less than my old one. I am not sure I need to see tenths of grams but now that I have it I like it.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    yes...bought a new one. Amazon Escali Primo. Escali Primo P115C Precision Kitchen Food Scale for Baking and Cooking, Lightweight and Durable Design, LCD Digital Display, Lifetime ltd. Warranty, Chrome

Easy to use and seems to be working fine. Weighs in grams, ounces and lbs and ounces. Tares obviously. One craisin would register for sure dang it No cheating with craisins or other delicious treats! :D
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I have this Taylor scale and really like it. Nice and simple, uses AAA batteries so they're easy to replace. https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Precision-Products-Digital-Scale/dp/B00BDS2X2G/ref=zg_bs_678508011_93?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K13JTEF8DZM4NWM07CSH

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I have to look for the link it I just got this really nice on on amazon for like $15, and its pink, it also comes in blue and orange!
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale. I got it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. it does what you are looking for and I think it has a nice look. It's a Salter 1069SV and I think it was 25-30$
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I have two of OXO Good Grips 11 Pound Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display, one for my house and I left the older one at Mom's. The older one could measure the first two grams, but the new one has problems with anything under 3 g, and when adding foods a gram at a time. On the plus side, it remembers if I used g or oz last, and will boot up with that. Another negative for the new one is that it is now much harder to turn off, as that button has another use. And it goes through batteries in 5-6 weeks. So I can't really recommend it anymore, especially for the price.

Both weigh up to 11 pounds, which will weigh container plus contents of everything I make but gumbo in the dutch oven.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have Ozeri too. Does everything you need and not expensive
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love my scale when it tells me I'm doing great. Otherwise, it's broken.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    EatSmart Precision Elite Digital Kitchen Scale - 15 lb. Capacity

I have had it for years, love it. Can handle up to 15lbs (so I can weigh a soup pot or crock pot after making a huge batch and get my total amount for the whole recipe, removing the weight of the pot itself, which I get before cooking), tares, weighs in grams/kilograms and ounces/pounds and ounces. Seems to handle the small amounts (1,2,3 grams...) without difficulty. Replaced the batteries (4 AAA) three times in 5 years.

I paid 10$ less than it's currently selling for on Amazon but its been worth the 35$ I spent.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I've been using an OXO Good Grips 5# scale for the last five years. It's great.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Time for me to get a new food scale. I have had mine for over a decade and the readouts are getting questionable. Do you have one that you love that you would recommend? If so, why do you love it? I want to make sure it can do all the basics - weigh in both ounces and grams, that it is sensitive and accurate to small differences (like weighing a small amount of craisins or small things in grams). and that you can do the thing where you put a plate or cup on it, and can zero it out so it only weighs what you put on the plate.

I'd love to hear your recs!

I've had this EatSmart ESKS-10 since 2015.
    • Never had a bit of trouble.
    • Batteries last a long time.
    • Big stainless steel platform.
    • 13-pound capacity so I can weigh my heavy dutch oven filled with stew to get the weight of the food after cooking.
    • Even with a big pot on the scale, I can still easily read the large display.
    • If I had to replace it I would probably buy the same one again.
    In another hobby, I need accuracy to 0.01 grams. It is never required for my cooking or nutrition management but when I want that level of precision I've been using this little Salter scale since May 2018.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I know one day I'll need a new kitchen scale, but my circa 2009 Weight Watchers food scale is still hanging in there like a loose tooth.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    JaxxieKat wrote: »
    I know one day I'll need a new kitchen scale, but my circa 2009 Weight Watchers food scale is still hanging in there like a loose tooth.

This is exactly what I have been using! It's barely hanging on and I no longer trust it.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

That's what I have too, but silver not lime green. It was recommended here.
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    The Escali Primo Digital Kitchen Scale. It's a fantastic scale. We've used it multiple times every day for five years and it's a workhorse. It easily switches from grams to oz while weighing and it can hold a pretty heavy dish while taring. Highly recommend! You can get them a BBB or online.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I have Ozeri too. Does everything you need and not expensive

I have this Ozeri as well and use it multiple times each day. Purchased in 12/2016 and I haven't even had to change the batteries yet.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Not when I put peanut butter on it :lol:

I have a cheapy from Amazon. It's fine, if a bit small.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Not when I put peanut butter on it :lol:

I have a cheapy from Amazon. It's fine, if a bit small.

THE HARD TRUTH.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Not sure what brand I have. I have been weighing food for many years and eventually after a few years it broke and I got another one.

Both just cheapies from supermarket

One thing I don't like about my current one is the read out bit ( don't know if this has a proper term) is too shallow. So it is hard to read when a full size dinner plate is on it.

I would look for a wider base next time.