Do You Identify as a Food Addict?

Replies

• tracyleed1
    tracyleed1 Posts: 24 Member
    I've described myself as a food addict, although I don't often say it out loud. Carbs are my issue - the more I eat, the more I crave them and then back to eating more. Its a viscous cycle. I have tried most every diet and either failed or had limited success - followed by regaining extra pounds. I realized this past year or so that I need to get a handle on the mental aspect of wanting to be a healthy person. It cannot just be about losing weight, because that implies only temporary changes are made. I need to wrap my head around being healthier for life, not just a little bit. But it is super hard...I've been floundering with this for the past year. I was always the token "fat" kid in school, then when puberty hit I ballooned up to 200# and at my heaviest about 9yrs ago of 351#. I then struggled and got down to 314#. I tried Keto and became a "food nazi", but had success. I got down to 280# and was down 3-4 sizes in clothes and felt really good. But I burnt out of always being perfect with foods and banning myself from different foods and I eventually reverted back to my old habits and mindset. And here I am now at 312#. I'm going to be 53yrs old next month....I need to get moving into a healthier lifestyle.
  • faithan84
    faithan84 Posts: 717 Member
    I've been struggling so much with overeating this past year. I've been on and off Food Addicts Anonymous's Food plan over the last 5 years. It works, but last year I was bordering on orthorexia, and it was getting to a toxic obsession. I have not stepped on a scale in a few months, but I think I'm up 120 pounds since last August. It's embarrassing and out of control. I know the food plan works, but it hasn't been a long term solution for me. I've reached goal weight a few times, but now I'm back to where I started (probably plus more pounds) 5 years ago. My therapist wants me to do moderation. I just don't know if I'm capable of that!!! I need help, so I'm back here to find friendship and motivation. I can't keep doing this to myself. 😭
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    @tracyleed1 Just realizing that there is a mental and emotional component is so important...and rare. Many people continue to blame carbs or sugar or whatever else. And though I for one do experience physical symptoms around foods, I have learned that the game is really emotional first and mental second. The food itself is somewhere after these.
  • ladyzherra
    @faithan84 thanks for sharing your story. I can understand how rapid weight gain can put you in a challenging space.

The food plan has not really ever worked for me because my issue is emotional in nature. I have been working on the emotional and mental aspect of my disorder for a while. I found a helpful book titled When Food is Comfort by July Simon and I cannot tell you how much the insights here have aided me on my journey, because she provides small, realistic ways to first recognize your emotions, internalize the responses and, eventually to deal with them in a healthy way. I have to admit, I think for most people healing is a slow process because it does take time to really actualize these realizations. But it can work and it feels authentic rather than a quick fix. ❤️
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    I'm going to look into that book @ladyzherra thanks for sharing!
  • torih941
    torih941 Posts: 207 Member
    Hi all, I know I'm a little late to this conversation, but I have recently started identifying as a food addict, which put a lot of things in perspective for me with how I eat and my feelings surrounding food. It is not really something I say out loud, but is always in the back of my mind.
  • ladyzherra
    I'm going to look into that book @ladyzherra thanks for sharing!

@healingnurtrer I hope that you enjoy the book. It is really, really authentic and insightful, and it offers a lot of everyday things that you can do to move toward your goal. I appreciate it.
  • daniellethesheep
    daniellethesheep Posts: 117 Member
    Yeah I identify as a food addict. I think in my mind this is more helpful than calling it binge eating disorder even though there is a lot of overlap. It doesn’t even matter what the food is I just want to eat and eat 24/7 and it’s ruining my life and relationship
  • ladyzherra
    @ReenieHJ I hear you! Addiction to celery could be amazing...right?! :smiley:

For me as well, emotional eating and overeating seem to be a part of my life, and may be until I die. I am not sure. What I do know is that I am dedicated every day to moving closer to a version of eating that feels more loving and less hating on myself. I have no idea how long that will take.

Remain open to the possiblity that it could happen today.

Warmly,
    Jenn
  • ladyzherra
    it’s ruining my life and relationship

@daniellethesheep I can relate to this so much. Food addiction, like most addictions (all?), has the potential (the probability?) of ruining our relationships and our lives to boot. My thought is that we all need some support. Do you have any support in place for yourself to help you?

For most of us, having "support" feels like weakness. But I have found that -- at least for me -- it is a strength. It's difficult to have help, to ask for it, to realize that you need it. But it's empowering to feel that you want it and that you are brave enough to seek it.

Help looks different for everyone.

I think that experimenting is important. There are books, therapy, light workers, massage and reiki, support groups, ritual, meditation, and so much more to explore. Either way, don't give up on yourself. You are never alone -- I believe that there is endless support to draw from and contribute to out there...we just have to get out there and find some connection.

Warmly,
    Jenn
  • baacissej
    baacissej Posts: 32 Member
    I definitely identify as a food addict! The hardest part for me is that unlike other addictions, abstinence can't be used. I'm pretty much all or nothing, the second I get a taste of food it consumes me, but I can't not eat indefinitely. I'm really struggling to lose weight with my ED :/
  • fizgig
    fizgig Posts: 2 Member
    Yes. I discovered Bright Line Eating and it is so wonderful, loving and amazing. I would recommend it and the food freedom quiz to anyone!
  • damaddox7
    damaddox7 Posts: 33 Member
    Hi everyone stressful eater here trying so hard to keep it under control. So many things happen this year.
    I always want to eat my way thru them. But I know I have to make some lifestyle changes.
    Open for any suggeations or encouragement.
  • ladyzherra
    baacissej wrote: »
    I definitely identify as a food addict! The hardest part for me is that unlike other addictions, abstinence can't be used. I'm pretty much all or nothing, the second I get a taste of food it consumes me, but I can't not eat indefinitely. I'm really struggling to lose weight with my ED :/

I hear you abou the "all or nothing" mentality! I realized that I also had this way of thinking, and that it affected my eating habits, early in life. Over the years, I have become even more sharply aware of it as I have journeyed toward finding more of a middle ground for myself. Have you sought out how to equalize yourself a bit more?
  • ladyzherra
    @damaddox7

Sending hugs your way. Eating disorders are really overwhelming, and I have struggled with food addition and overeating, binge eating, and more, for a very long time. Wanting to eat my feelings? Check.

I have found that it's the way that I deal with my feelings that poses the issue rather than the eating, which is just a symptom of that problem. Deal with the feelings, cure the eating.

But it takes time and intention. How are you moving toward a journey that helps you to deal with your feelings more?
  • mermaidnj
    mermaidnj Posts: 161 Member
    sending out an SOS.. could really use some freinds and accountability buddies feeling very alone in the struggle..
  • ladyzherra
    @mermaidnj Sorry to hear about your struggle. You are not alone. So many people struggle with an unhealthy relationship with food.
  • pslansky
    pslansky Posts: 16 Member
    @mermaidnj So sorry you feel all alone in the struggle, me too. Even worse, I feel like I’m losing ground every day. I know what I should do but just somehow can’t (or won’t I suppose). Not sure where rock bottom is but it has got to be close. I’m ready to start climbing back up and could also use accountability and support. I’m new to MFP but not new to online forums. I attended a week long camp sponsored by the Biggest Loser TV Show 4-years ago. I lost 70 lbs in 5-months and we had a FB Group for a while but everyone kinda faded away after 2-years and I gained it all back... It really helped to have Group support so you are on the right track to reach out and ask for help. You may message me if you like for support.
  • ladyzherra
    @pslansky I wish that people supported us on our journeys like a Biggest Loser camp would, working together with us to set the bar and keep us motivated and focused. But "life" gets in the way. And we learn that if we are going to make a lifelong commitment then we have to be able sustain it alone. That's not to say that community isn't useful, but frankly it just never is there enough. We have to be able to rely on ourselves to make change, and that's sometimes a sad or isolating realization.