Cure for NES, Night Eating Syndrome?

Hello All-

I suffer from NES, aka night eating syndrome. I wake up every night about 3-4 hours into my sleep to eat something just in order to get myself back to sleep.

I am fully awake and aware of what I am doing. I just want to stop doing it as it causes frustration, throws my breakfast off and isnt healthy or normal.

Anyone suffer from this and find a way to stop it?

Replies

• ctmike8080
    ctmike8080 Posts: 4 Member
    My blood sugar is normal, i had this happen about 20 years ago and was much healthier/lighter. I don’t think its related to that, its something else that I cant put my finger on.
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    I did this in past, still do when I dont eat right the day before. Stay away from stuff that dont fill you up before bed. I usually eat pecans (walnuts, peanuts even) for my before bed snack and dont wake up looking for food.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Are you actually eating enough during the day?
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    I don't get this *exactly* but I struggle falling asleep if I'm genuinely hungry.. would making your dinner your main/biggest meal maybe be an option?
  • ctmike8080
    Are you actually eating enough during the day?

Yes, in fact more than I should. Either way, NES as it’s called isnt really about hunger, its more to do with habits and the way our brain reacts to stress, habit, etc. I just wish there was a way to stop waking ul and eating.
  • Annagrace75
    Annagrace75 Posts: 29 Member
    I have sugar free popsicles, and if I wake up I have one. I’ve had this issue for about 20 years. I thought it was hunger, but it really was a coping habit for underlying anxiety. A bedtime routine that includes prayer, meditation,stretching helps me. Also, I use a lavender oil in my diffuser.
  • ctmike8080
    I have sugar free popsicles, and if I wake up I have one. I’ve had this issue for about 20 years. I thought it was hunger, but it really was a coping habit for underlying anxiety. A bedtime routine that includes prayer, meditation,stretching helps me. Also, I use a lavender oil in my diffuser.

Hi Anna. Very interesting. I feel there is some underlying anxiety or OCD that is causing this to happen for me As well. LAst night I said to Jesus to please help me sleep through the night without eating, and I didn’t get up!

Do you know of any medication that may help with underlying anxiety by chance?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Melatonin or st John's wort? Otherwise, you can get a Rx for anxiety meds.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    I would highly recommend cognitive behavioral therapy, especially if you suspect the habit is anxiety-related.