Just starting to weight train at 56

Williamk69
Williamk69 Posts: 9 Member
Well, I guess the title tells it. I'm 56, in terrible shape, and started weight training back on Oct 26 of 2019.

Goals are as follows:
1) Change my mindset. I want a fighting spirit as I age and step into my final chapters.
2) Lose enough weight to fit into my racing leathers again and get back to the track come spring.

Back in Oct I joined a local gym, hired a trainer to design a weight program for me. I workout every 2cnd day. I have not missed a workout yet. I have a determination in me that now that I have a course set I will carry on with it.

Take care all.

Replies

• mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Good for you. I have weight trained off and on since I was a teenager. Last year at 57, I decided To lose weight and workout more. I have lost 40+ pounds since then, still need to drop another 20 or so. About six months ago I started lifting seriously and decided I wanted to look like Arnold:), not really going to happen, but have made a lot of progress, even while eating at a deficit most of the time.
  • Williamk69
    mcemino2 wrote: »
    ... even while eating at a deficit most of the time.
    Being little more than a month in, diet is a major focus. Like you I have been running a calorie deficit and have seen weight come off, but while I am doing this I have been trying to keep protein around 200 grams per day. I weigh 215lbs.

• Williamk69
    I’ve been consistently lifting since January, I had a lot of fighting spirit to begin with but now I feel like anytime I set a goal I can accomplish it and it’s no longer wishful thinking...
    Sounds like you are doing well. Best of luck in the future!
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Best of luck to you, it sounds like you have a great start with the trainer and all. I am only 42 and have done strength training off and on over the past decade or so but have been more serious about it lately. I was lucky enough to have all four grandparents into my late 20s or 30s and to spend a lot of time with them. Since they are the source of all my genetic material I know what sorts of problems to expect in the future and I believe strength training and especially focusing on the core and on balance will help me a lot in the future to avoid some of their problems.
  • Williamk69
    Good luck Danyell
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    Williamk69 wrote: »
    mcemino2 wrote: »
    ... even while eating at a deficit most of the time.
    Being little more than a month in, diet is a major focus. Like you I have been running a calorie deficit and have seen weight come off, but while I am doing this I have been trying to keep protein around 200 grams per day. I weigh 215lbs.

I started around 227, now average about 185. I struggle to keep protein up and calories down. Usually around 150 grams.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    I got back on the horse at age 48. The program/book "Starting Strength" got me motivated and within a year I could squat and deadlift more than when I was in my twenties. Going for the 1000 lb club.... might hit it next year at age 51.
  • Williamk69
    billkansas wrote: »
    I got back on the horse at age 48. The program/book "Starting Strength" got me motivated and within a year I could squat and deadlift more than when I was in my twenties. Going for the 1000 lb club.... might hit it next year at age 51.

That's awesome Bill, hope you hit that target
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Williamk69 wrote: »
    2) Lose enough weight to fit into my racing leathers again and get back to the track come spring.

Beware!
    You might find like me that your old race leathers are dreadfully unfashionable.....

Good goals and determination William. I started back on the road to losing weight and getting in shape in my 50's too and it's been great. Best of luck.

oi1o1bqsk79h.jpg
  • Williamk69
    edited December 2019
    ycyrkxd0puvr.jpg
    The fashion police might be after both of us lol. But check out my enthusiasm: new knee pucks!
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 320 Member
    edited December 2019
    My old leathers have a lot of scars on them but they've held up and worth all the money I spent.

I'd go with Starting Strength for sure. Stick with it. The worse thing you can do it program hop. I've had my leathers for over twenty years and I'm happy to say I have about 30lbs of extra room in them.

What are you riding?
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    There's a great book for older weightlifters. "The Barbell Prescription" by Jonathon Sullivan and Andy Baker. They are both Starting Strength coaches. Lots of good information geared to older lifters.

https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Prescription-Strength-Training-After/dp/0982522770

Sullivan also has a YouTube channel. I find him entertaining and insightful.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNjgwAS3wBBxcwouQz5J9w

I started weightlifting at 58 - 1'm 65 now. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner.
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 320 Member
    I"m 60 and been crossfitting and lifting since I was 49. I'm going to check this out because I've looked and have not found much specific to older lifters except basic stuff.
    There's a great book for older weightlifters. "The Barbell Prescription" by Jonathon Sullivan and Andy Baker. They are both Starting Strength coaches. Lots of good information geared to older lifters.

https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Prescription-Strength-Training-After/dp/0982522770

I started weightlifting at 58 - 1'm 65 now. My only regret is that I didn't start sooner.

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    theclaw900 wrote: »
    I"m 60 and been crossfitting and lifting since I was 49. I'm going to check this out because I've looked and have not found much specific to older lifters except basic stuff.

Please let me know your opinions.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    My mom started strength training in her late 70s :)

She only works with a trainer.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    quote="Williamk69;d-10774561"]Well, I guess the title tells it. I'm 56, in terrible shape, and started weight training back on Oct 26 of 2019.

Goals are as follows:
    1) Change my mindset. I want a fighting spirit as I age and step into my final chapters.

Back in Oct I joined a local gym, hired a trainer to design a weight program for me. I workout every 2cnd day. I have not missed a workout yet. I have a determination in me that now that I have a course set I will carry on with it.

Take care all.
    [/quote]

Yeah! Good job, keep going!!
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    I started 4 years ago at the age of 49 and am still going. I lost 10kg in the first year through diet and strength training and am continuing to build muscle. It takes time, but you'll be grateful for the gains and the new habits you'll form along the way. Good luck.
  • HamptonsGuy
    HamptonsGuy Posts: 72 Member
    Ill join the thread if I can remember to look it up. I use beach body p90x which has weight training and cardio as well. I like it. I tried Body Beats and thats pure weights but the guy is a lunkhead. Didnt care for that. Just going into my second round and based on my first round numbers, have gotten much stronger. My issue is the food input having issues dialing in the macros n the holiday season...
  • Williamk69
    theclaw900 wrote: »
    My old leathers have a lot of scars on them but they've held up and worth all the money I spent.
    What are you riding?
    Sorry, I have been off this app for a while. I have a couple of options. My GSXR750 or my VTR1000. I will likely go VTR as I like the nature of the power band better than the Gixxer. Both are '01s. At this stage I'm just missing track time and just want to do some track days.