Gaining rapid weight

I'm Hypo thyroid and I'm gaining weight at an extremely fast pace. I can't stop putting bad food in my mouth after staying on track all day..any advice will help

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    What do you consider "on track". It's possible you are eating too little during the day and that is causing you to binge at night.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    No such thing as "bad food" ..... if you enjoy it, eat it.... 1st step is to log ALL of your calories and make sure your eating at a deficit.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Hypothyroid doesn't mean you need to binge. All it means is that you would need to be more mindful of food choices and be a bit more vigilant about adhering to your calories. Even with a reduced metabolism, it is not a sentence dooming you to remain sedentary or overfat.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    I get it. I have Hashimoto's, and it's hard. One of the problems is that when your thyroid isn't working, you're tired! And if you're like me, you become desperate to just find enough energy to finish a task. And somewhere in my brain I think that I just need more fuel. And so I go looking for simple carbs, sugar, and caffeine - anything to get a quick boost so I can get to the end of the day without crashing. Ugh. I guess some of the things I've learned are: 1) work with your physician to make sure you are getting the medication you need to make up for your broken thyroid. 2) I've found that there are foods that aggravate my immune system, which intensifies my thyroid dysfunction. I've got to stay away from those! I hate to say it, but gluten is one of them. 3) Make sure you are fueling your body properly through the day. I totally get that a "calorie is a calorie" when it comes to weight loss, but it's a different story when you're dealing with auto-immune disorders. The quality of those calories really matter to make it through the day. If I haven't eaten well enough during the day to fuel my body, the night gets ugly. I either binge on quick energy foods (which is what is sounds like you are doing), or I crash on the couch while my kids get away with way too much! The keys for me have been counting macros (making sure I get a good balance of protein/carbs/fat with each meal), drinking enough water to keep me from grazing all day (one of my biggest weaknesses!), and striving to get my quota of fruits and vegetables (a little with each meal works for me). And finally, sometimes you just have to get away - from your kitchen, that is. Go for a walk. Read a book. Work on a project. Set a time where you won't even go near food, and keep with it. It's so hard at first, but you can do it! Good luck!