MISSION SLIMPOSSIBLES DECEMBER CHAT

Replies

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member

Me!Me!Me! Agree wholeheartedly that it is the consistency that counts - consistency over perfection. Yes - Consistency Over Perfection. I'll never be perfect as crap happens and I'm human. But I can always pick back up and go back to what works and be consistent in my efforts.

@TeresaW1020 - did you have something in mind, specifically?

Yes, I do have something in mind and I'm trying to think how best to make it work for us who are interested in creating habits that will get us to our goals.

I was reading about tracking habits on James Clear website and he says...

Habit tracking is powerful for three reasons.

1. It creates a visual cue that can remind you to act.
    2. It is motivating to see the progress you are making. You don't want to break your streak.
    3. It feels satisfying to record your success in the moment.

He also talked about how important it is to have a team where we can be accountable to each other. I think we have that covered! ;) I found lots of habit trackers on Google that you can download for free, which I'm going to do. But how to transfer it to here is the question I'm still wrestling with. I like how you are posting your list and think that is great. I would like to do something like that with the simplicity of a simple habit tracker format. I'm open to suggestions! ;)

• raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 699 Member
    raleighgirl09
    Wednesday check in
    steps 12/10 10,601

Ya know? I don't know if I'll keep this up long-term but for now it's helping me to write these things daily in my diary notes as a way of journaling but not having to have another app or grab a paper notebook. I'm adding it here as a way to get more into the habit of a daily check in... => Both are helping me, I think, and I am workingworking on my headspace and focus. It's working for today and that's the only day I can control so it's all going to work out.

Prelog 3 meals? yes
    Non-planned eating? Bailey's in coffee because it was made available
    Thoughts during overeats? I decided to work the Bailey's in and be ok with it
    Mood? good mood today, some trepidation about the catered lunch but just a quick chat with myself took care of it
    Obstacles? knee much better, less tender and almost no clicking!!!
    Hunger? hungry between lunch and dinner because waiting to go out to eat with family - that meal was not planned yesterday but was known early in the day.
    Eating to hunger - I am always hungry but not crazy hungry (I think at about a 2 on the scale??) when I start but I still want to finish it all. I am not planning so much food as to get full anyway so it's hard to see what's happening. Direct clash of counting calories vs hunger driven eating.
    1% effort today? 5am up for exercise, ate own food at a work lunch to account for the food for an unplanned dinner out with Mom
    3 good things? appreciated how i looked today, decided to be ok with being the only one who had a home meal at a catered lunch, very mindful of food choices and happy to be doing it
    Exercise? tread mill 20 min, elliptical 20 min, walk around pond 1.5 miles [steps logged the next day] (10Dec19 10,601)
    Sleep? 10p-5a [log the morning after]
    Nighttime eats? no!
  • raleighgirl09

Me!Me!Me! Agree wholeheartedly that it is the consistency that counts - consistency over perfection. Yes - Consistency Over Perfection. I'll never be perfect as crap happens and I'm human. But I can always pick back up and go back to what works and be consistent in my efforts.

@TeresaW1020 - did you have something in mind, specifically?

Yes, I do have something in mind and I'm trying to think how best to make it work for us who are interested in creating habits that will get us to our goals.

I was reading about tracking habits on James Clear website and he says...

Habit tracking is powerful for three reasons.

1. It creates a visual cue that can remind you to act.
    2. It is motivating to see the progress you are making. You don't want to break your streak.
    3. It feels satisfying to record your success in the moment.

He also talked about how important it is to have a team where we can be accountable to each other. I think we have that covered! ;) I found lots of habit trackers on Google that you can download for free, which I'm going to do. But how to transfer it to here is the question I'm still wrestling with. I like how you are posting your list and think that is great. I would like to do something like that with the simplicity of a simple habit tracker format. I'm open to suggestions! ;)

Well, what I have begun is super simplistic but I developed a template of questions to pop into my food diary notes for me to just add to throughout the day and finish at the end of the day - yes, I *need* the visual! I am PDFing them each day so I can see them stack up and be able to look for trends when I need to work on something, hit a plateau, etc. I decided to copy it from my diary to here because I am woefully terrible at a daily check in - but I want to do it! So, I am copying my diary notes here as a trigger to check in. These are mine - unless you had an excel something type of thing in mind....maybe you could develop tracking for you in the food diary? If that fits for you? I know I can't really take on another app and be bogged down with a paper journal again so this is my best fix for the need. I'm like you - suggestions welcomed!!!!

Prelog 3 meals?
    Non-planned eating?
    Thoughts during overeats?
    Mood?
    Obstacles?
    Hunger?
    1% effort today?
    3 good things?
    Exercise? [steps logged the next day]
    Sleep? [log the morning after]
    Nighttime eats?

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    @TeresaW1020 I look forward to seeing what you come up with, I'm interested in this too!

@raleighgirl09 I really appreciate you doing your list, I like reading your responses and ask myself the questions after reading. You're making me feel less alone with my struggles lately. Sometimes we think we're the only ones going through something when it's really part of being human.

Tuesday check-in
    Calories- over
    Exercise- bike
    Honesty was disappointed in myself over anothet bad day and bummed, didn't feel like checking in.

Wednesday
    Calories- under
    Exercise- bike, elliptical, weights
    Got myself back in the gym after a week of slacking on going.

5 for 90
    1. Gym 3xs a week- went today, didn't go Monday or Friday
    2. Exercise 30 minutes a day- done
    3. Decluttering- did some
    4. Social media- checked in, not bad
    5. Trigger foods- no sweet cravings today, yay! Still struggling with eating too much in afternoons. I'm trying to deal with stress/anxiety in a healthier manner and realize I have a lot of "anxiety " habits like shaking my foot, rocking in rocking chair, and wanting to stuff my face! Being on a medication that increases appetite doesn't help, I'm working on eating slower and without distractions so I get the "full" signals without stuffing myself.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,567 Member
    Sorry to have been quiet for a couple of days. It has been a combo of shortness of time and the website not working for me. Things seem good now, so crossing my fingers! ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿฝ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿฝ

@Katmary71 - " Sometimes we think we're the only ones going through something when it's really part of being human." A big YES to this! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
    It is so SO easy to compare my insides to other people's outsides. I suspect I will never stop doing that, but I can at least work on catching it faster.
    So glad and so impressed at your checking back in! And a huge thank you for sharing when things are challenging as well as when they are good.

@TeresaW1020 and @raleighgirl09 - I am so SUPER excited to see you guys working on habits and James Clear. I think a simple list you add to your daily check-in makes great sense! ๐Ÿ’ก

@raleighgirl09 - I am a big YES to consistency over perfection! I love your new detailed check-in list! โœ”๏ธโœ”๏ธโœ”๏ธ

@TeresaW1020 - I have set something up like that James Clear graphic -- something with graph paper. I get super excited at building streaks. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@leonadixon - Hurray to getting help from a dietitian! That sounds like a great smart thing to try! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

@wwood008 - ๐ŸŽˆ Congratulations on a great weigh-in this week, especially with all you have had going on with your niece. I hope that cold gets better soon (it's so easy to get sick when visiting a hospital).

@digger61 - You had such a great day yesterday! Calories under and great steps! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

@bethanie0825 - Hurray for all those gym trips! It sounds as if you are back to being on your food plan. With all that, the post-birthday bounce up will surely come back down quickly! ๐Ÿ˜…
  • AustinRuadhain
    Check-in
    Wednesday
    Calories: on target; all good, on-plan choices
    Water: over
    Exercise: resistance training (35 min); martial arts class (72 min)
    Steps (target 7500): under

Daily Goals - Wednesday
    1. Meditate โœ”๏ธ
    2. Exercise 30 minutes a day โœ”๏ธ
    3. Hydrate โœ”๏ธ
    4. Martial Arts Practice โœ”๏ธ
    5. Thankful โœ”๏ธ for my wonderful family, especially my husband.

Goals and Improvements for Thursday:
    - Stick with my food plan, measure and log everything, stay at/under calories
    - Martial arts practice (I have a specific form I need to demonstrate on Saturday; tomorrow would be a good day to spend a long time on that)
    - Get in steps (7500+) an outdoor walk would be extra nice
  • kayla7303
    kayla7303 Posts: 154 Member
    Weekly weigh in

Kayla7303
    Previous 208
    Today 206
  • AustinRuadhain
    Weekly weigh in

Kayla7303
    Previous 208
    Today 206

๐ŸŽˆ Congratulations on the great weigh-in! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• AustinRuadhain
    edited December 2019
    @TeresaW1020 and @raleighgirl09 - I am posting one of my favorite quotations, as I think it will inspire you, too, and maybe others. This idea is so relevant to the discussion of building habits.

Will Durant evidently said this as he was discussing two statements by Aristotle (I had seen this statement attributed to Aristotle, and read recently that it was Will Durant, talking about Aristotle).

d3vc8xf14l8r.jpg
  • raleighgirl09
    Weekly weigh in

Kayla7303
    Previous 208
    Today 206

Yay YOU, this is awesome!!! =>
  • raleighgirl09
    @TeresaW1020 and @raleighgirl09 - I am posting one of my favorite quotations, as I think it will inspire you, too, and maybe others. This idea is so relevant to the discussion of building habits.

Will Durant evidently said this as he was discussing two statements by Aristotle (I had seen this statement attributed to Aristotle, and read recently that it was Will Durant, talking about Aristotle).

d3vc8xf14l8r.jpg

Thanks @AustinRuadhain @TeresaW1020 @Katmary71 - and anyone I may have missed a response from and from those who connect in heart and mind and keep truckin'. The responses and support is so very much appreciated - we are all in this together (separately together, as my Aunt would say).

I don't want to be in a place of starting over again - I want to do all of the internal and external work needed to keep weight off and to not stop working at it and just...keep on truckin'. That's the story - and since my past chapters have not seen that result, I must write new chapters. Even if they at first feel as if written by a ghost writer.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09
    Thursday weigh in week 2 (12Dec2019) - on time, same day...WOW ME!
    Previous weight: 198
    Current weight: 194.2
    Steps: 12/11 12,745

Remember the good, be the good, encourage others on their journey

Recapping - I am journaling in my food diary and copying here. I am celebrating doing well, being kind when I am not perfect and just trying to learn a new way to be a smaller me. A smarter smaller me. I'm working to be aware and mindful of food, eating and my body queues - I am trying to get to a point that the last thing I said is the first thing I think of in the future (it was last today, as written)....my body queues. I'm striving to be honest with myself. Striving to be honest with my support team. I don't know exactly why I chose right now to be...so...something - right this minute. It's as hard as it is easy and I'm a bit confused but encouraged. Thanks for riding along with me.

Prelog 3 meals? Not really - only dinner. I ate what I had loosely planned for B and L and had things for at work and stayed on plan
    Non-planned eating? Italian Sweet Creamers
    Thoughts during overeats? Decided to work it in, 60 cals
    Mood? reflective - i saw a pic of me from yesterday at the work party and my first thought was how I still look pretty fat despite a 40 lb loss. The *kitten* is getting real, at this point, and I just need to absorb this - not how I look....but how my instant reaction to the pics and how that feels and think about why it was the first thought and why that is bothersome
    Obstacles? Knee is great! Toes are great! Morning sucked *kitten* but I got through it!
    Hunger? Yes - between lunch and dinner again, thinking of adding an apple snack in late afternoon. I find I am either white knuckling through it or just a week or a few ago, I was having snacky eats at the sink. I think most of my eating more than planned is actual hunger at the moment as I am not planning enough to *not* be hungry between these meals. I do not think the answer is to plan more at the meals, I think I need an apple. I choose apple because I like it well enough when I am hungry but it is not a comfort food and I will never overeat it - it is not that exciting.
    1% effort today? I dissected hunger thoughts, overcame challenges for exercise this morning - with good cheer!
    3 good things? recognized that a stressful work moment made me want to eat, specifically anything comfort foodish - I did not, but the flash urge and thought were there. I bet I sometimes do not see that happening. (whether I give in or not). And I am counting my 1% efforts as 2 of my great things!
    Exercise? 15 min on elliptical, long story about challenges but I did get a 2.25 walk around the pond to compensate (steps 12/11/19 12,745) [steps logged the next day]
    Sleep? 1020p-5a [log the morning after] - interesting, a lot of angst on a day with not enough sleep
    Nighttime eats? Yes - a few bites of rice and beans, logged the 35 cals left, no idea how many it actually is. I don't know if I was hungry or just wanted it. The cals don't care, they just go in and do what they do but I'd like to not be driven sometimes for those bites.
  • Katmary71
    @kayla7303 congratulations, 2lbs down!

@AustinRuadhain love the quote!

@raleighgirl09 I like how you put that about writing new chapters. I feel like I was growing while I was losing but the even harder work is starting now. You have a serious loss this week, congratulations!
  • Katmary71
    Thursday check-in
    Calories- under
    Exercise- recumbent bike
    Water- over

5 for 90
    1. Gym 3xs a week- went yesterday, going tomorrow
    2. Exercise 30 minutes- did 1 hour
    3. Decluttering- none today
    4. Social media- checked in, did ok
    5. Trigger foods- didn't grab a candy cane at the doctor's. What's up with that, I normally wouldn't choose a candy cane or one of the doughnut holes by the coffee at church but just because it's there I want to grab one? Gotta keep saying I no longer eat that stuff and save indulgences for foods I actually enjoy!
  • davors19
    davors19 Posts: 282 Member
    Username: davors19
    Weigh-in week: Week 2
    Weigh-in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 279
    Todays Weight: 279
  • TeresaW1020
    Username:TeresaW1020
    Weigh in week:ย  Week 2
    Weigh in day:ย Friday
    Previous Weight:ย 206.0
    Todays Weight:ย 207.5 :s:#:/
  • TeresaW1020

I don't want to be in a place of starting over again - I want to do all of the internal and external work needed to keep weight off and to not stop working at it and just...keep on truckin'. That's the story - and since my past chapters have not seen that result, I must write new chapters. Even if they at first feel as if written by a ghost writer.

YES!!! I so resonate with this! Being up 1.5 lbs on the scale this morning has me so disappointed in myself. I've had a lousy two months and I just don't understand why I think it's OK to stop doing what I know I need to be doing. It's not like I'm sitting here feeling happy and satisfied that I've been out of control so often. NO, it's the complete opposite feeling and I'm sick of it. So, what to do? Just like you said! Let's rewrite our chapters and change the ending. We owe ourselves the happy ending that we so badly desire! Let's get it!! :)

@AustinRuadhain, fantastic quote!! I'm really starting to zero in on this being about changing my habits first and then I will see my results. I really have made working out a habit that now is part of my life. I need to do the same with my eating, which includes tracking and staying on plan (even during the holidays).

@kayla7303 congratulations on losing 2 lbs!! That is fantastic! B)

@davors19, congrats on maintaining! I think that is worthy of celebration during this time of year. :)
  • AustinRuadhain
    @TeresaW1020 - Hugs for the weigh-in. I know those are not the numbers you want, but you are still in the game. You WILL find the way to make this work for you!
    I am so glad that the quote resonates for you! For me, taking this on as an exercise in building new habits has been enormously effective. It also was helpful for me to tackle it habit building in chunks. I read someplace that it took a few weeks for a habit to solidify. Not sure if that is true, but it helped me to focus on one thing, make sure that new habit was solid, then focus on the next thing.
    I think having your day-to-day focus on your actions and not your results is enormously helpful!

@davors19 - As Teresa said -- congratulations on maintaining! If, like me, you are finding yourself surrounded by more than the usual number of food temptations, keeping that number steady is a real accomplishment!

@Katmary71 - Hurray to all that action on your "5 for 90" list! I was especially inspired by your note about trigger foods!
    5. Trigger foods- didn't grab a candy cane at the doctor's. What's up with that, I normally wouldn't choose a candy cane or one of the doughnut holes by the coffee at church but just because it's there I want to grab one? Gotta keep saying I no longer eat that stuff and save indulgences for foods I actually enjoy!

@raleighgirl09 - ๐ŸŽˆ Hurray! ๐Ÿ˜Ž What a great fabulous weigh-in this week!
    Your journal is inspiring. Thanks for bringing us along!
  • TeresaW1020
    I was just reading James Clear newsletter and he had this quote that I thought was worthy of a graphic!

This was like a slap in my face! I look at my weight over the last few weeks and it is a direct result of my actions. I talk a good talk about wanting to get to Onderland and beyond but obvoiusly it hasn't been a priority or my actions would have already taken me to where I want to be. Wow!! :o

cbkn1hxes530.png
  • mrmcgrath
    mrmcgrath Posts: 956 Member
    I was just reading James Clear newsletter and he had this quote that I thought was worthy of a graphic!

This was like a slap in my face! I look at my weight over the last few weeks and it is a direct result of my actions. I talk a good talk about wanting to get to Onderland and beyond but obvoiusly it hasn't been a priority or my actions would have already taken me to where I want to be. Wow!! :o

cbkn1hxes530.png

๐Ÿ˜ฎ. That is powerful!
This discussion has been closed.